• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cable and Super Glue

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
This question may be better suited in the forum A Call for Humor, but I will take my chances here. I was watching a Youtube video on speaker cable and how to make your own. A commenter chimed in that he uses lamp cord and that he cuts to lenght, strips the ends, twists it tight and then dips the ends in super glue to 'tin' them. He claims this is just as effective as tinning. Now, I understand that probably none of you have done this, it's a little weird and unprofessional. But in THEORY, could this possibly work? As an aside, is there anything you use as a viable alternative to tinning?

DonR

Major Contributor
This question may be better suited in the forum A Call for Humor, but I will take my chances here. I was watching a Youtube video on speaker cable and how to make your own. A commenter chimed in that he uses lamp cord and that he cuts to lenght, strips the ends, twists it tight and then dips the ends in super glue to 'tin' them. He claims this is just as effective as tinning. Now, I understand that probably none of you have done this, it's a little weird and unprofessional. But in THEORY, could this possibly work? As an aside, is there anything you use as a viable alternative to tinning?
Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is non-conductive and starts burning at normal soldering temperatures causing toxic smoke. Sounds like a candidate for a Darwin award.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah.... You DON'T want to use an insulator!!!

I just twist the wires. I don't bother with tinning unless I'm soldering.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lamp/electrical cord for speaker wire, totally normal and cost effective.

Glue is not an alternative to tinning, and there doesn't need to be an alternative. A basic soldering iron is less than $20. You can even melt most solder with a hot air gun.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That gave me a chuckle. Gotta love the YouTube vids. Maybe rosin flux is super expensive where this guy lives.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
This sent an endless cascade of memories of old experiments by folk lacking basic knowledge of electricity... The fried guitar amp when the player decided to double the power by reconnecting the transformer (burnt transformers smell bad!), the farmer who replaced the broken power cables to his tractor radio with baling wire (insulation is helpful, too bad baling wire has none), an inexhaustible supply of audiophile tweaks over the years (the green pen on the edge of CDs is just the tip of the iceberg, with things like the Tice Clock up to modern "sonic dots" to improve acoustics providing endless fodder).

Specific to superglue, for a while there was a (perhaps just local) fad of using it to fix in place internal components from capacitors and resistors to wires and fuses. People were buying 10-20 little tubes of the stuff and applying it to everything they reach inside their components. And using solder, epoxy, whatever on the stuff super glue would not stick to. What a mess! It did provide a number of interesting repair propositions, making me some money in the process, but was largely not worth the effort. A standout was a guy who managed to glue all the potentiometers (volume, balance, bass, treble), switches, and the radio tuning knob on his receiver.... He was sharp enough to realize the front part with the knob attached must move, so his solution was to squirt the glue into the back of all the controls. :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually you don't want to solder-tin the wire ends either, if it's to a screw terminal.
Over time the solder-tin will cold flow and the screw will loosen.
That is true. And a little flux can help clean the wire. Not super glue :facepalm:

Top Bottom