• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundmagic a30 DAC DSD256 problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 71835
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 71835

Hello i got a new soundmagic a30 dac. Using it with takstar pro 82.

This DAC is supposed to be capable of DSD256 but i only managed to play up to DSD128. Tried many apps. Some people said it can be CS43130 instead of CS43131 due to chip shortage.

My question is, is this possible? And if yes any way to confirm this?

And is there any audible difference between this chips?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the CS43130 is EOL due to low demand and severe supply constraints (according to Cirrus), I would think this is illogical. A quick parts search shows loads of stock though. At a first glance they may be pin compatible, didn’t do a thorrow check yet. So, who knows…

I think the newer chip is able to drive a higher voltage, which could be useful for high impedance headphones. Your headphone is not though. The THD difference is probably not audible.

OP
D

Deleted member 71835

Since the CS43130 is EOL due to low demand and severe supply constraints (according to Cirrus), I would think this is illogical. A quick parts search shows loads of stock though. At a first glance they may be pin compatible, didn’t do a thorrow check yet. So, who knows…

I think the newer chip is able to drive a higher voltage, which could be useful for high impedance headphones. Your headphone is not though. The THD difference is probably not audible.
The thing is, this DAC is bought like maybe 2-3 years ago by a local store. So not new supplied.

Arent they both 2Vrms 600ohm?

OP
D

Deleted member 71835

No, just look at their data sheets, impulse/frequency response looks like it just copy pasted with some minor differences in certain filter types that shouldn't be audible anyway. So it's mostly related to functionality and not tonality. That little DAC may not even make use of most of that chip's functions anyway
I'm not comparing your reply dont get me wrong pls. I'm very new to hobby and just trying to understand. Someone gave this answer. What do you think about this answer?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, on closer inspection, it seems to be a drop in replacement, the pinout matches at least.

As for both doing 2V, the product page says:
1708447327023.png

Which seems to indicate a difference. Reading the sheets, it indeed seems like it can output a bit more voltage than the 30, but's it's not a big diffrence.

Top Bottom