• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundbar Replacement Advice

OP
B

Bville

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll start researching that receiver and monitoring the price as we approach Black Friday sales.

OP
B

Bville

I would go with a current generation AVR, like the X2800H. You will appreciate having HDMI 2.1, if not immediately, then in a few years. You can also start small on speakers. I run a set of bookshelf speakers in a bedroom and I get excellent stereo imaging out of them and probably more than enough bass for the application. :cool:
Hi! I was looking on Amazon and see the X2800H on sale for $899.99. Does that sound reasonable? Is there a chance the price might go down more with Black Friday sales? I’m not familiar enough with these to know if the current sale price is at the low range. Thanks!

OP
B

Bville

Hi! I was looking on Amazon and see the X2800H on sale for $899.99. Does that sound reasonable? Is there a chance the price might go down more with Black Friday sales? I’m not familiar enough with these to know if the current sale price is at the low range. Thanks!
I also I see that I can get an Onkyo TX-NR7100 9.2 channel AVR for the same price on sale. Would that be a better option? Thanks!

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also I see that I can get an Onkyo TX-NR7100 9.2 channel AVR for the same price on sale. Would that be a better option? Thanks!
Yes that one will give you multiple HDMI 2.1 ports as well.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I wanted a clear patth to surround sound with the advantages of coaxial drivers, I'd get a Monoprice 5.1 coaxial system, single nail wall mount, then replace each thing with a good KEF bookshelf, then Genelecs when you're at peak career.

Some reasons:
-Skip the Klipsch speakers, the Monoprice ones work better as centers and ceiling speakers.
-Speakers on your ceiling often have to be tilted and you can't move around too much because the dispersion is terrible. Coaxial speakers fix this.
-Ease of wall mounting vs the Klipsch.
-Better if you're not always at ear level.

OP
B

Bville

If I wanted a clear patth to surround sound with the advantages of coaxial drivers, I'd get a Monoprice 5.1 coaxial system, single nail wall mount, then replace each thing with a good KEF bookshelf, then Genelecs when you're at peak career.

Some reasons:
-Skip the Klipsch speakers, the Monoprice ones work better as centers and ceiling speakers.
-Speakers on your ceiling often have to be tilted and you can't move around too much because the dispersion is terrible. Coaxial speakers fix this.
-Ease of wall mounting vs the Klipsch.
-Better if you're not always at ear level.

Thanks! I was looking around again this morning and I was considering the following:

Monolith M518HT THX
Monolith THX-365C
Denon AVR-X2700 or Onkyo TX-NR6100

Would that be a reasonable system?
Thanks!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I was looking around again this morning and I was considering the following:

Monolith M518HT THX
Monolith THX-365C

Thanks!

The M518 system includes a center channel that is identical to the other speakers. If it's not loud enough you could consider a different center channel, but that really depends on how far away you are listening from.

Yes, most any AVR will work with these. Don't have much experiences with AVRs so not much help there but my biggest concern would be having a second sub output if you want to run dual subwoofers and get more even bass across seating positions.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Monolith M518HT THX
Monolith THX-365C

Thanks!
Monoprice Monolith M518HT THX, now going for $385, that's something I would go for.

OP
B

Bville

An alternative system I am considering is:

ELAC Debut C6.2, B6.2, and SUB3010
Onkyo TX-NR6100

I understand this isn’t really comparable to the Monolith surround system, but would this be a reasonable alternative? And it appears I missed the sale on the M518HT - at least for now. ELAC is another brand I’m not familiar with but seems to have favorable reviews.

Thanks!

Top Bottom