• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

sound feeling difference of genelec 8331 & psi a17, both reach 45hz of ±3db, same price & size

justice4c

It will be on my pc desk, for music, movie and games. Their specification is closed, what is the difference of sound and feeling? For my situation which do you prefer.

OP
J

justice4c

It will be on my pc desk, for music, movie and games. Their specification is closed, what is the difference of sound and feeling? For my situation which do you prefer.
I will not listen in a big voice, the power and spl is not a problem.

J-B

I've owned those PSI's for years, great sounding speakers.
However, I'd prefer the Genelecs on my desk.
The most obvious reason is because of GLM to take care of the desk reflections.
I'll never use speakers without dsp correction anymore on my desks.

BTW: I'd also have a look at the new Neumann KH150's.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
It is impossible to tell what you prefer as this is unlikely to coincide with my preferences.

Have a look at the reviews here and preselect based on those. Yes Genelec and Neumann are excellent choices. Then try to listen at home in your room with your music. Try to at least level match the speakers, ideally with a multimeter. Be aware that to whatever conclusion you come, that it represents only your personal preference and is subject to your biases (when done sighted) and is not applicable to anyone else. Best one can do.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own 8331s; I wouldn't buy them again. They're excellent, but now that the KH150 is available and 8341s can be found used for less than 8331s.... The only exception would be if you absolutely, positively, cannot make space for anything larger.

OP
J

justice4c

Can we use dirac live or sonaworks to calibrate psi a17?

OP
J

justice4c

kh150 is a good monitor, but it is too big for the pc desk

YSC

Major Contributor
I would say go for the 8331, even using dirac or REW+ EQAPO, at similar price, extension and neutrality, at desktop usecase coaxial would always have more flexibility on listening positions, PSI have advantage of linear phase, but IIRC the GLM can do the digital filter if you desire to have the induced latency induced, which would be always present in the PSI

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
if you desire to have the induced latency induced, which would be always present in the PSI
PSI official site mentions
But the latency must be very low when monitoring recording, mixing or in postproduction. Our largest speaker has a latency of only 0.6 milliseconds, which suffices to align phase down to 150 Hz. This latency is the same as moving the listening position back by 20 cm as it will take sound 0.6 milliseconds to travel that distance.
While Genelec Extended linear phase adds 3,7 msec to already existing few msecs for DSP crossover.

For home consumer use case it does not matter, only for professional monitoring.

YSC

Major Contributor
PSI official site mentions
But the latency must be very low when monitoring recording, mixing or in postproduction. Our largest speaker has a latency of only 0.6 milliseconds, which suffices to align phase down to 150 Hz. This latency is the same as moving the listening position back by 20 cm as it will take sound 0.6 milliseconds to travel that distance.
While Genelec Extended linear phase adds 3,7 msec to already existing few msecs for DSP crossover.

For home consumer use case it does not matter, only for professional monitoring.
right, so that's my misconception, wonders what the GLM filter will induce.

so in correction: it depends you want minimal phase latency or coaxial, IME the 2way 8030 in desktop usage works fine when my seating position is more or less fixed, but if you would/want to move around, maybe standing up once a while while doing listening, the vertical dispersion issue for 2ways will inevitably kick in, though at nearfield subjectively the sound won't suddently go from great to horrible, but noticeable tonal shift will happen

Hmast

I may be a bit off-topic but in the end, latency aside, are PSI and Genelec The Ones equal in term of phase alignment/linearity?

subframe

At desktop listening distances, coaxial becomes very beneficial. I’d never want a non-coax speaker at that distance, now that I know.

Latency doesn’t matter for just playing back, especially low latency.

8341s are quite large for a desk btw , I know because I’ve done it. 8331s would be the right size.l

Mhoomans

I know the two monitors you mention and in a situation they are ons stands I would pick the PSI over the Genelec. When positioning them on the desk things change, as the Genelec is more point source, so I think they are preferred in that scenario. The only issue I have with the Genelec is that I think it sounds a bit artificial. There is something not entirely right to my ears but I can't point the finger on what it is that causes this. It's just that instruments sound not lifelike. The PSI sounds incredible true to the source to my ears.

Sorry, couldn't be more of help.

Digby

Major Contributor
It is impossible to tell what you prefer as this is unlikely to coincide with my preferences.
Do you like olives and does the OP like olives? If the answers are 2 x yes or 2 x no, then you can safely recommend speakers you like and he will like them too.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Do you like olives and does the OP like olives? If the answers are 2 x yes or 2 x no, then you can safely recommend speakers you like and he will like them too.
Nope. Utterly incorrect and impossible and your olive analogy is terribly flawed and oversimplistic for such a complex thing as sound. Plus there are many type of olives…. you wouldn’t believe.

As we are in the internet. I still don’t know what his preferences are and when I ask him he might refer to the usual adjectives such as „warm, detailed, bright, dry, sibilant and what have you“. And now?

His „warm“ will most certainly differ from my „warm“ and so on as we both have different associations with these words and the words might not even describe what we mean exactly.

So futile exercise and waste of time for me. That why I recommend to listen for himself (at home). Everyone else of course can do want they want.

Digby

Major Contributor
Nope. Utterly incorrect and impossible and your olive analogy is terribly flawed and oversimplistic for such a complex thing as sound. Plus there are many type of olives…. you wouldn’t believe.
German or American?

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
are PSI and Genelec The Ones equal in term of phase alignment/linearity
PSI A17 is +- 45 degrees from 300 Hz up.
On-axis.
In anechoic chamber.

The Ones don't specify phase, but as we see from these measurements, it might be not constant at least in some modes
Because SaR measured PSI speakers and have measured phase within +- 50 degrees from 300 Hz up, I'd say that at least in some modes phase constancy of PSI is much better.
I'd ask Genelec directly regarding this matter.

But Genelec have GLM. In troublesome rooms it's more important than constant phase.

If you don't need monitors exactly for work where you'll be placing imaginary sound sources in global sound field, I'd not stick so tight with PSI.
Their downsides in real world scenario may overweigh constant phase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom