• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony WH-1000XM4 Review (noise cancelling headphone)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
From what I see measurement wise anyway, there is nothing about the Airpod Max that you couldn't closely approximate by equalizing the Sony XM3/4. I may order the Airpod Max simply to test, but for some reason I thought I read something that indicated as a non-iPhone user, I am Android all the way, I may not be able to use the Max to the, well, to the max. I'll have to investigate things further. It looks like a lot of money put into gimmicky features I would never use so even if it sounds very good, which seems probable, I would still be wasting plenty of money. Plus that clamping force is high and I suspect it would be uncomfortable similar to the B&W PX which I bought twice and returned due to clamping force.

And it looks like a pretty serious low treble dip in the Airpod Max as well, enough to dull the sound. I am sure it would have a nice even sound, warm and non-fatiguing. I am really interested to see if someone in the US will send Amir a set to measure.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From what I see measurement wise anyway, there is nothing about the Airpod Max that you couldn't closely approximate by equalizing the Sony XM3/4.

Approximate is the operating word here. The AirPods Max measure way, way smoother up to 4khz. The relative balance might not be to one's preference (personally I'd prefer a tad more upper mids), but there is none of the irrational wiggles that cripple the XM3/4's FR curves and which can't be EQed via the app. Perhaps it's a lot easier via another form of EQ but it's probably easier to start with from a decent curve anyway :D.
Even after my best efforts via the app, I'm pretty certain that if we were to measure my XM4 with the EQ I tend to gravitate towards, it would still be messy, even if only at the micro level.
And I say "gravitate", because I think that these deviations / wiggles all across the entire FR range are, in addition to Sony's nebulous and incomplete app EQ, are preventing me from settling on something that I find 100% satisfying.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Why on earth would you use the Sony app? Use a decent player like Onkyo HF Player or Neutron where you can use very well done equalizers.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why on earth would you use the Sony app? Use a decent player like Onkyo HF Player or Neutron where you can use very well done equalizers.

Because some people like me use a variety of sources for which there is no easy EQ option, quite simply.

ririt

It seems that such apps are unable to be used to stream music through Qobuz or Tidal

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Fair enough, but if you are using a computer as the streaming source (less likely than a phone I realize) JRiver for example can accept the Tidal stream through the WDM driver option which exposes the incoming stream to DSP. Still, I get it that people want global equalization apps. That isn't something that currently I care about, but I might eventually care about such things. Anyway, for my money I think the XM3/4 would be a much better fit than the Airpod Max. Comfort alone would be the major factor even if sound signature differences didn't matter. Doesn't matter how good something sounds if you can't wear it without discomfort. I'm actually surprised that Apple created a product that was so reliant on the clamp force to make the DSP a reality.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After checking the teardown I wonder why these are not the most expensive cans on the market by far. They are WAY better engineered and made than pretty well any others I have seen!
I’d be interested in knowing more about the driver, too. Although it looks to employ a conventionally shaped diaphragm, it’s not Mylar and I’m unable to see the voice coil or magnet structure.

wolf_walker

Fair enough, but if you are using a computer as the streaming source (less likely than a phone I realize) JRiver for example can accept the Tidal stream through the WDM driver option which exposes the incoming stream to DSP. Still, I get it that people want global equalization apps. That isn't something that currently I care about, but I might eventually care about such things. Anyway, for my money I think the XM3/4 would be a much better fit than the Airpod Max. Comfort alone would be the major factor even if sound signature differences didn't matter. Doesn't matter how good something sounds if you can't wear it without discomfort. I'm actually surprised that Apple created a product that was so reliant on the clamp force to make the DSP a reality.

I'd expect a version 2.0 of the apple ones in fairly short order. But they are still going to be portable, bluetooth, fashion conscious consumer headphones with as much focus on ANC and the user experience beyond sound production as the Sonys are. These little high tech cans, they are about half sound quality (or less) and half UI fashion and other tech. Which is fine, mine have been great. It took me about half an hour of monkeying around with them to go find an EQ(wavelet) and all's been well since. My dish-washing experience has gone up drastically in quality since I purchased them. Which is valuable because teenagers suck.

lystor

Upgraded WH-1000XM3 -> WH-1000XM4 recently.

Cons:
- Built-in equalizer of both WH-1000XM4 / WH-1000XM3 doesn't work when the headphones are connected by cable.
They are very boomy.

- Awful frequency response (but better than on WH-1000XM3), unusable on mid / high volume.

- Less detailed, muddy, has half the soundstage in comparison with Beyerdynamic DT 1770.

Pros:
- ANC of WH-1000XM4 is the best in the world.
Compared to WH-1000XM3 ANC has less artifacts, less background white noise and slightly better efficiency.

Last edited:

Judas

I find no issue with automatic pairing bluetooth when you download the software from Sony. Limited EQ is available if that is your thing. I personally find these to be a dream come true.

Pritaudio

Can you have anc silence on the Sony xm4’s and AirPod max. It can be done on the Bose.
silence anc without any music playing.

lystor

Can you have anc silence on the Sony xm4’s and AirPod max. It can be done on the Bose.
silence anc without any music playing.
ANC always produces a white noise on XM4 if ANC enabled.

Pritaudio

I have the Bose quietcomfort earbuds and they allow silence with selectable noise cancelling and are excellent.
no white noise.
no eq available yet though.
they keep falling out with movement, so would prefer over ears in case of damage or loss of ear piece.
just not sure how they compare to the over ears bunch.

wolf_walker

I have the Bose quietcomfort earbuds and they allow silence with selectable noise cancelling and are excellent.
no white noise.
no eq available yet though.
they keep falling out with movement, so would prefer over ears in case of damage or loss of ear piece.
just not sure how they compare to the over ears bunch.

The bose have white noise too(it's not actually white noise but yeah), otherwise you have no ANC by the nature of how it works.
Many people describe it as almost pressure, like being at some altitude in an aircraft, but not quite.
I can't say how the ANC on these would compare, but ANC in general works best with steady sound
in frequencies it can deal with(like the roar of an aircraft engine). Mine shut the kids in the other room
up pretty well but you can still hear them if you try without music playing.

Paul Take

Anyone running the 3 or 4 on android should really try wavelet with the auto eq profile and then tweak to suit.
These things are great for non-critical listening.

Listen to what he recommends. For me, Wavelet made a significant improvement in my XM3's tonality and is straightforward to use. I made an adjustment to the eq strength using the app's eq strength control slider to suit my preference

kanting

Hope XM5 headphones will be able to store EQ settings locally like Logitech gaming mice, so that I can carry the headphones around and wire them to any players from the 80s--DSEE really enhances their sound so nicely.

sulfuriq

I'm getting confuse of how to EQ my SONY XM4 through Tonebooster EQ available in USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO (Android) since the term use like "Peak" is not available in Tonebooster EQ. And there is also Morphit that stimulate the sound to target wanted like Generic Harman AE/OE Curve. Will this work for Sony XM4?

Top Bottom