• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony WH-1000XM4 Review (noise cancelling headphone)

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends what you play the music on. Its LDAC so it can go up to roughly lossless/ CD quality if the device you have the player on supports LDAC. Which I dont believe apple devices do, but Android does.

EDIT- no Bluetooth can handle actual Hi Res (above 48 khz sample rate and 24 bit or more bit depth)- some can do roughly lossless.

You will still be able to play the files- bit they will be downsampled as part of the Bluetooth transmission.
It's still impressive that LDAC can still transmit up to 48000Hz (audio frequency, not sample rate).

I'm sure those bats are loving every second of it.

516451.jpg

LDAC-FR-Chart.jpg

*SOURCE: https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

Samudra1825

Would you measure them with electronics on in the future? Also what do you think of them vs meze 99? Both have massive bass boost and dip in the upper mid/lower treble ish

testp

i just bought my first headphones, well... for my mother, so not for me but i was between Sony 1000xm3 and JBL 460NC,
i went for jbl 460NC for on-ear, smaller size and great measurements from rtings
(searching here.... why anyone haven't sent any JBL to amir???)

jbl sound is pretty darn good, bit bass heavy but jbl app (with peq eq actually) can probably take care of that, only small caveat
sony was more comfortable for longer listening i think.

Jbl should make their future headphones even more softer/luxuries for little more money,
but this version for around 100 euros, can't complain..

karthik7000

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sony WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling, closed back headphone. It was kindly purchased by a member from Amazon and drop shipped to me. It costs US $278 including Prime shipping.

It comes in three colors; this one is black:
View attachment 108638

I like the feel of the unit. Seems high quality. The detents in the slide mechanism is not strong so adjusting it was a bit of a pain.

This headphone has 1000 features which I won't be covering here but as a quick example, has a proximity sensor in one of the cups so it can shut itself off when you take it off your head.

There is a cord to use it hardwired without the unit being on but as you will see, the story here is complex.

These are the dimensions:
View attachment 108639

Note: The measurements you are about to see are preformed using standardized GRAS 45CA headphone measurement fixture. Headphone measurements require more interpretation than speaker tests and have more of a requirement for subjective testing as a result. In addition, comparison of measurements between different people doing it using different configurations requires fair bit of skill. So don't look for matching results. Focus on high level picture. Listening tests are performed using RME ADI-2 DAC and its headphone output.

Fitting the WH-1000XM4 on the measurement fixture was very challenging. Slightest movement and variation would make a large change in response. I got lucky in that all of a sudden, both channels locked together indicating at least balanced mounting. So that is what I ran with. I suggest you look at the high level picture per above even more than usual.

Sony WH-1000XM4 Measurements
As usual, let's start with the WH-1000MX4 frequency response in passive mode (electronics turned off):
View attachment 108640

Ouch, ouch, ouch! What on earth is that huge hump between 100 and 200 Hz? That, combined with the large dip between 2 and 3 kHz is going to make this sound muffled and unpleasant.

Switching the unit on causes massive transformation for the better:
View attachment 108642

Levels shifted way up and I forgot to compensate for it. So imagine the curve is pulled down a few dB. Then you see that the bass response is more or less is following the preference target. We still have a peak around 800 Hz to deal with and the same dip around 2 kHz but we are much closer to where we need to be.

I guess this confirms that Sony knows the response is broken without DSP and left it that way assuming (correctly) that most people will use this with noise cancellation on. And if Sony can fix the bass with EQ, so can we!

From here on, I am going to show the passive performance until we get to listening tests. Here is our relative response:
View attachment 108644

Can you say deeply colored? I knew you could. We have whopping 24 dB deviation from our target. No matter which way you skin this, and how much inaccuracy you want to read into the measurements, this is way off any kind of proper frequency response. Pretty sure this is the worse we have seen so far in any headphone.

Distortion is present but at low levels, it should be OK:

View attachment 108645

View attachment 108646

Impedance is both low and variable:
View attachment 108647

As noted, the moment you turn on the headphone, it becomes a different animal because then you are feeding the input of the ADC and the internal amplifier is then driving the headphone. Sadly, because the internal amp is battery powered, it is anemic and can severely distort if you turn it up way . The headphone is efficient though so not a concern in everyday listening.

Efficiency is quite high which is good:
View attachment 108653

Finally, group delay tells us something is amiss in the response that is causing that large peak in upper bass:

View attachment 108648

Sony WH-1000XM4 Listening and Equalization
One listen to the headphone off and you would want to put it down. It is just so unpleasant as far as tonality. I can't even describe it in words. So let's not suffer too much and apply EQ to fix what ails it:

View attachment 108650

You can see the large amount of correction I had to apply to it. It took it though and it started to sound quite "normal" and pleasant. I could listen to it for hours this way.

As I noted earlier, I did not have level compensated measurements for when noise cancelling is on. Fortunately as it is, the sound is fairly good. Gone is the recessed and cluster phobic sound of when the unit is off. As such my equalization is slight:

View attachment 108652

As I noted in the measurement section though, distortion increases at higher levels so I would personally opt to use the passive with EQ when at the desk.

Speaking of noise cancellation, I did a quick test of that (not set up yet for formal, objective tests). As usual, these headphones rely on "belts and suspenders" principle by isolating noise passively as much as they can and then use noise cancellation. I used my very noisy Audio Precision analyzer as stimulus. Just wearing the headphone with it off, it got rid of 80% of the noise. What was left was naturally lower frequencies that are harder to filter. Once I turned on NC, it zeroed that noise out like it never was there.

Note that the active mode had no effect on non-repetitive noise sources such as my wife working downstairs, doing dishes, etc.

Conclusions
The Sony WH-1000MX4 is a highly flawed headphone in passive mode. It would get one of the worst scores in my book in that mode. It simply is not listenable. Noise Cancellation thankfully improves on that so much that you could use it without further EQ. Unfortunately you are then limited by the power ability of the internal headphone amp so know that it won't get ear bleeding loud. Equalization cleaned up the response of passive mode substantially so if you have that available, then you are in good shape.

Overall, I am going to recommend the Sony WH-1000MX4 if you apply equalization. Without it, the active mode would barely get a nod from me as well.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Please suggest me for modification in my listing, here is my listing for Sony - WH-1000XM4 , I want to improve it

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I owned the mark III, probably the worst EQ headphones ever, terrible, with that bulky, booming bass that rattled everywhere. I got rid of them at the speed of light, it seems that they followed the same philosophy.
I really don't understand how sony sound engineers think this equalization can be nice.

simple6

Forum Donor
Any EQ capability options for iOS users? Particularly annoying that the Sony app does not let you touch <400 Hz where the main issues are.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I own the XM3 and yes stock it is a bassy mess, but very easy to overcome with equalization, and once done it became a very enjoyable signature, IMO. I used either Onkyo HF Player or Neutron, both have very effective equalizers to work with.

simple6

Forum Donor
I own the XM3 and yes stock it is a bassy mess, but very easy to overcome with equalization, and once done it became a very enjoyable signature, IMO. I used either Onkyo HF Player or Neutron, both have very effective equalizers to work with.
Unfortunately those do not work with Spotify or Apple Podcasts, which is a must for me. Apparently there was an app called SpotEQ for Spotify but due to restrictions, they had to pull it off the AppStore. So annoying!

Markreed89

Tried the equaliser corrections on these today, both for active wireless and wired, both were a huge improvement. However to my ears they sound way better wired with the corrections than than active. More clarity and and just more co didn't sounding with the extra power from being wired.

TSB

Tried the equaliser corrections on these today, both for active wireless and wired, both were a huge improvement. However to my ears they sound way better wired with the corrections than than active. More clarity and and just more co didn't sounding with the extra power from being wired.
That's probably because NC is off when wired.

Music1969

Major Contributor
ill chime in, if you have android, wavelet does pretty darn good job at adding 9-band eq or peq if you like even,
there are others eq apps as well
yes but he was asking about iOS

which is what I use

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you get these from?

I got these headphones a while back and I love them, with some caveats. One, they're sealed NC headphones, so the sound is less open and pleasant than an open headphone. However, the convenience of the ANC and wireless mean that I wear them all the time.

Two, the sound quality with stock settings is not to my taste. These are tuned to have impactful kick drums at relatively low levels. Try an EQ setting of 0-4-6-0-0 in the app and set the clear bass setting to your taste. I like -1 or 0. I have seen 0-4-6-0-0 (-1) and 0-4-6-2-0 (-1) cited as the closest to the Harman curve but I would recommend dialing in that 6.3kHz slider by ear, same with the clear bass

You can use wavelet on android to get the response closer to the Harman target, but I don't notice a huge difference, and there are big advantages to using the sony EQ - it 'bakes in' your eq to the headphone itself, so it will use that EQ with different devices. This is nice, because one of the features of this headphone is that it can link with two devices at once.

ANC improves sound quality in most contexts. If you're running a fan or AC unit or there's traffic outside or even mild HVAC noise, the ANC will improve sound quality over an open headphone, in my opinion. In a nice quiet room, the open headphone sounds way better.

Top Bottom