• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony TA-AN1000 AVR with Klipsch 5.1 setup

XNetworkX

I'm new to all this home theatre world. I have recently started looking to build a home theatre system, but not sure about some aspects so looking for some guidance. I am looking at getting a Sony TA-AN1000 AVR with a 5.1 Klipsch speakers. I needed to know if this receiver would be able to drive a pair of Klipsch RP-600m ii bookshelf front speakers, Klipsch R30C centre channel, a pair of rear Klipsch 50m and Klipsch R-121 subwoofer.

According to Richer Sounds in UK, this Sony AVR which is released very recently here in the UK pushes 85w per channel, although two channels are stated as 120w each on some specs. Klipsch RP 600mii are 8 ohm 100 watt speakers, so would this Sony receiver be under powered to run those speakers in a 5.1 config? I understand that it's better to have more power available per channel then the other way around. I am concerned that 85 watt per channel would lead to clipping or other adverse effects over time to that fairly expensive Klipsch speakers.

Please note that there's no pre-amp out on this particular UK model of the STR-AN1000, which is the US model of this AVR.

Any insight/guidance on this would be highly appreciated :)

Thankyou

Considering that the Klipsch has relatively high sensitivity at 94.5dB (as per spec sheet), the AN1000 might be suffice for smaller space.
Just don't expect theater levels of performance though. Also, the AN1000 actual power rating is all over the place.

If you can stretch your budget slightly, Denon AVC-X3800H at 1,099 GBP (at select stores) seems to be an all-around winner, with higher power (and a 70% guarantee at 5ch), full HDMI 2.1, full pre-outs.
1692258047834.png
1692258502668.png

OP
X

XNetworkX

Considering that the Klipsch has relatively high sensitivity at 94.5dB (as per spec sheet), the AN1000 might be suffice for smaller space.
Just don't expect theater levels of performance though. Also, the AN1000 actual power rating is all over the place.

If you can stretch your budget slightly, Denon AVC-X3800H at 1,099 GBP (at select stores) seems to be an all-around winner, with higher power (and a 70% guarantee at 5ch), full HDMI 2.1, full pre-outs.
View attachment 306256View attachment 306260
Thanks for the reply :) X3800H seems to be the perfect alternative and allows to add a pre-amp as well and definitely has enough juice to power the Klipsch 100 watt speakers I want.

However, I read the review here for the X3800H and it kind of put me off as the conclusion says it's not a recommended AVR due to the shortcomings mentioned in the review/analysis. I was all set to buy it before I saw the Sony TA-AN1000 AVR, but the audio science review changed my decision on X3800H.

It's bit strange that Sony's £1k AVR does not have sufficient power to drive 100 watt 8 ohm speakers! I like the looks of this AVR and I stumbled upon the 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology offered by Sony, which I really like! The sound demo for SSM on YouTube sounds awesome to be honest.

Still not sure which one to go for as there's no in-depth independent review available currently for the STR/TA-AN1000 and it lacks pre-amp out as well. There's ambiguity on its power output as well when all channels are driven! Plus I have read reviews with people reporting bugs and he infamous "Thunk" sound when the unit is powered on or wakes up from a standby.

On the bright side, I have narrowed down to these two AVRs :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's bit strange that Sony's £1k AVR does not have sufficient power to drive 100 watt 8 ohm speakers!
You probably don't "need" to drive them at their maximum rated power. According to my handy-dandy spreadsheet 85W is only 0.7dB quieter than 100W. That's a barely noticeable difference (if you can hear the difference at all).

I understand that it's better to have more power available per channel then the other way around.
Actually, no... 100W Speakers are supposed to be rated to handle a 100W amplifier that's not clipping, or rarely clipping on the peaks, with much less average power. i.e. You might burn-up a 100W speaker with a constant 100W test tone, and the tweeter can't handle as much power as the woofer, etc. And you should be able to occasionally go over 100W with highly-dynamic music, which has a high peak-to-average ratio. It's "statistical" and you can't always trust amplifier or speaker specs/ratings...

I am concerned that 85 watt per channel would lead to clipping or other adverse effects over time to that fairly expensive Klipsch speakers.
There's a popular myth about that... Yes, clipping is bad, but higher power is even worse (at the same loudness). When you drive an amplifier into clipping it puts-out more power. Worst-case if you over-drive it to the point where a sine wave turns-into a square wave, that's twice the power, and that additional power is harmonics which means more power into the tweeter. But, you are never going to clip it THAT badly. What's worse for the speaker is that as you boost the volume beyond clipping, the overall-average power increases, even though the peaks can't go any higher.

Since most of the power is in the low frequencies, most of the harmonics are also in the lower frequency ranges, and the high frequencies to the tweeter are weaker than if you were using a higher-power amplifier. If you've ever listened to badly clipped/distorted audio you might actually hear a (relative )loss of high frequencies.

OP
X

XNetworkX

You probably don't "need" to drive them at their maximum rated power. According to my handy-dandy spreadsheet 85W is only 0.7dB quieter than 100W. That's a barely noticeable difference (if you can hear the difference at all).

Actually, no... 100W Speakers are supposed to be rated to handle a 100W amplifier that's not clipping, or rarely clipping on the peaks, with much less average power. i.e. You might burn-up a 100W speaker with a constant 100W test tone, and the tweeter can't handle as much power as the woofer, etc. And you should be able to occasionally go over 100W with highly-dynamic music, which has a high peak-to-average ratio. It's "statistical" and you can't always trust amplifier or speaker specs/ratings...

There's a popular myth about that... Yes, clipping is bad, but higher power is even worse (at the same loudness). When you drive an amplifier into clipping it puts-out more power. Worst-case if you over-drive it to the point where a sine wave turns-into a square wave, that's twice the power, and that additional power is harmonics which means more power into the tweeter. But, you are never going to clip it THAT badly. What's worse for the speaker is that as you boost the volume beyond clipping, the overall-average power increases, even though the peaks can't go any higher.

Since most of the power is in the low frequencies, most of the harmonics are also in the lower frequency ranges, and the high frequencies to the tweeter are weaker than if you were using a higher-power amplifier. If you've ever listened to badly clipped/distorted audio you might actually hear a (relative )loss of high frequencies.

Thanks for the detailed replies :)

So It sounds like Sony AVR would be enough for the Klipsch set up. It's good to know that over-powering the speakers is not really a good idea always, especially higher wattage speakers with high sensitivity.

I will be using the 5.1 setup for a small living room and I sit about 8 feet away from my telly. I won't be turning up the volume over a comfortable levels either, so I reckon this AVR should be fine based on what I gather from your input :)

Top Bottom