• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Oh, good. Since the K371 scored an 89, it is not in the excellent range.
Guess not, according to that chart (which I now see is missing some percentage ranges, so take it with a grain of salt). Because it's a Harman headphone we can guess that it was designed with their target curve in mind, but it's not a perfect match. The preference score and charts do show that it is reasonably close compared to most other headphones.

So I guess anything in the '80s is considered conforming to HTR? 7506 got an 80. So it must conform to???
There is no binary yes/no for "does it conform or not." The preference score is an approximation of conformity. The 7506 conforms more than headphones with a lower preference score. Also, I'm not familiar enough with the formula to know how the weighting works. Maybe it's a lot easier to reach a score of 80 than it is to reach 90, based on the fact that the rankings only show 9 headphones in the 90+ range.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess not, according to that chart (which I now see is missing some percentage ranges, so take it with a grain of salt). Because it's a Harman headphone we can guess that it was designed with their target curve in mind, but it's not a perfect match. The preference score and charts do show that it is reasonably close compared to most other headphones.

There is no binary yes/no for "does it conform or not." The preference score is an approximation of conformity. The 7506 conforms more than headphones with a lower preference score. Also, I'm not familiar enough with the formula to know how the weighting works. Maybe it's a lot easier to reach a score of 80 than it is to reach 90, based on the fact that the rankings only show 9 headphones in the 90+ range.

So with your definition of "conform," saying a headphone conforms is a meaningless descriptor.

I find my understanding of "conforms" more useful. It encourages conversation about which headphone is closest to conforming, rather than painting a bunch of headphones with the same brush.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
So with your definition of "conform," saying a headphone conforms is a meaningless descriptor.

I find my understanding of "conforms" more useful. It encourages conversation about which headphone is closest to conforming, rather than painting a bunch of headphones with the same brush.
But that's exactly what the preference rating reveals. If I assign you a grade based on how well you performed to my chosen standard, how is that not an indication of conformity?

Overall I can't see a good reason to recommend the Sony MDR-7506. It gets some important things right (mid-range tonality) but so many things wrong that I just can't tell anyone to go and get one. If you have it, please give the above EQ a test and report what you think.

IMHO the Sony 7506 is the Yamaha NS-10 of the headphone world. Definitely NOT a headphone designed for music listening as much as a reference for “spoken word” (mid-range tonality) - widely used as the gold standard in broadcast.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I thought it was Herman.
5QILR3FJMRBRXDUBBH2JY5AR7E.jpg

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's exactly what the preference rating reveals. If I assign you a grade based on how well you performed to my chosen standard, how is that not an indication of conformity?

I think you completely lost track that my main point of contention is about using the word "conforms" to describe anything that kind of looks like the HTR curve.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I think you completely lost track that my main point of contention is about using the word "conforms" to describe anything that kind of looks like the HTR curve.
Who is using it that way? Which headphones with 90+ preference scores have frequency responses that don't correlate to the Harman target?

If you go by a strict definition, nothing conforms to the curve because no headphones score 100. Where does that get us?

If you're implying that the designer's intent to hit a target curve should be taken into account, it won't matter because the results will show their success or failure anyway.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who is using it that way? Which headphones with 90+ preference scores have frequency responses that don't correlate to the Harman target?

If you go by a strict definition, nothing conforms to the curve because no headphones score 100. Where does that get us?

If you're implying that the designer's intent to hit a target curve should be taken into account, it won't matter because the results will show their success or failure anyway.

Thanks for admitting that you jumped in the middle of the conversation without knowing what the point of contention was.

You are welcome to retrace the flow and see what I said.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Thanks for admitting that you jumped in the middle of the conversation without knowing what the point of contention was.

You are welcome to retrace the flow and see what I said.
I've been following this conversation from the beginning. Here's your first post:

That's not accurate, based upon measurements I have seen. The K371 are very close to HTR, but do benefit from EQ to conform to it. Here is a graph from oratory comparing them to HTR
So what? All headphones can benefit from EQ to get closer to the target curve. Your initial statement here is not specific to the K371 or any other headphone yet measured.

If this is a semantic argument about "it must be a 100% match to use the word conform," then let's agree to disagree. The word conform can be used in reference to an approximation (from the dictionary -- "be similar in form or type"), which is what the preference score is designed to evaluate.

markanini

Major Contributor
The tech isn't aviable for a headphone to conform to Harman curve the way raistlin65 wants. Even a perfect headphone with perfect EQ would deviate by some small amount. Because of that I can't see how it's a useful point to argue.

wsmith

I got my pair years ago on the advice of sound engineers who used them for mobile monitoring. There was no promise they would sound 'good!'

And the earpieces flake.

Flakey cushion rings to be sure. You can get soft cloth covers for the cups but I can't recall the name off hand. They cover the flakes (if the whole thing is not busted apart by the time that happens...), They also absorb sweat but they really help with comfort when you've got them on all day.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of all the phones I've used in radio for talking on the mic this model has worked best. For various practical reasons it's well suited to that job. And it seems to me from Amir's data that it should be relatively transparent in that use. No wonder it's a popular choice in such studios.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I used the Sony MDR V-6 a lot when I was on the radio. Saw a number of others at KPFA doing the same. It's really good as something you can throw in the bag and not worry about it breaking. I found a pair with flaked out pads at a thrift store around 2017, $3.50. The replacement pads were something like $14.00. I checked out the 7506 update at Guitar Center a number of times, kinda hard to hear much difference from the V-6, physical design is identical.

thefsb

I got my pair years ago on the advice of sound engineers who used them for mobile monitoring. There was no promise they would sound 'good!'
My read of the graphs is that if you're not playing low frequencies loud then these should sounds pretty good so it's easy to think of engineering tasks where they should work well.

And the earpieces flake.
Only if you don't replace them because something else broke first. In studio use all phones wear out pretty quick. Maybe there are some in higher price classes that are engineered for durability but these are under $100.

Ear pads on lots of phones degrade with time. $14 for original replacements or choose from a variety of after market options including real leather for the discerning listener or those with that kink. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=sony+7506

Feelas

My read of the graphs is that if you're not playing low frequencies loud then these should sounds pretty good so it's easy to think of engineering tasks where they should work well.
Even moreso, theoretically you could use a big low shelf to force these not to play under 50Hz where it doesn't matter, but there's a risk of it being present.

Coffee_fan

I enjoy each one of these reviews, both the measurements as well as the subjective parts. I have the MDR-7506 collecting dust somewhere, but I have to say that I have always enjoyed their sound and comfort. I am an over-the-ear headphone fan, and each one's head and ears are different. The MDR-7506 sits very well with me and always had a subjectively pleasant sound.

Which brings the question: In headphones specifically, whether fit has more of an effect than in the case of speakers? Especially because I have seen many modders that play with padding and things to claim a headphone is made better.

Anyhow, thanks for the review!!

Seta Seta Pop

Thank you for your hard work Amir! I crave the analysis of the k371 like other friends but, is it possible that you analyzed the srh440 as well?

bravomail

I still have Sony 7506. I bought it on recommendation from some Russian utub reviewer, who said they were "magical", "best imaging", "best soundstage". So my impressions - they are quite light and comfortable, I do not sport glasses. They are easy to fix too - I did cable and jack replacement after some rough handling by relatives. They are also quite sensitive, portable friendly, phone or tablet will work. Soundwise - I find them boring, not bright at all, "dry reference". I lended them to my wife. Personally, I prefer fun V-shaped headphones, like Audiotechnica M40x.

Top Bottom