• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
This headphone is a good example of Harmans model not accounting for narrow peaks in unfortunate frequencies.

For this reason I find it helpful to look at the individual Harman model parameter values for a headphone, as displayed here by AutoEQ, particularly the slope value, which has the higher contribution to the preference rating. Anything around or greater than +/- 0.5, and I find the overall tonality of the headphone starts to suffer. These 7506's have a slope of 0.5, signifying their brighter overall spectral tilt.

Last edited:

Feelas

THD and CSD/impulse/step plots are the answer for detail. High amounts of distortion at 1KHz - 4KHz can give a pleasing timbre and “texture” plus faux details as seen with HEDDPHONE.

I can't stress how much this speaks to me! One difference I found after reading more about harman & EQ-ing stuff away is how much the 1-4kHz range being correct makes my old in-ears (nearly forgotten & not produced anymore PFE-012) brass tone correct. I'd say, maybe not pleasing timbre & texture, but the exaggeration of instrument's character. This might also happen to some extent on live gigs, becuase I think it'd be impossible to think anyone's plugging into flat curve when you have to fight for every bit of instrument's presence.

That'll seem like an absolute blashpemy, but it'd be lovely to see someone pulling an experiment, where 1-4kHz range is deliberately pulled up on one speaker and not on the second one & playing some mono records through.

Well-done THD in harmonics-range is a MUST, since noise happening there makes instruments sound the same and ear is not really discriminant if you take the harmonics away.

Last edited:

zenki

The more I looked at headphones FR, the more they looked similar to IEMs FR

PuX

Hopefully Beyerdynamic and AKG classics (DT880, DT770, K701/702/712) will do better in this test :)

well, from what my ears tell me, they are light years away from this.

even the supposedly sharp and v-shaped DT770 is very pleasant to listen to, at least the 250Ohm version.

wsmith

This model has been standard issue for TV and radio broadcast and much film location recording of dialog.

I used it extensively during the over two decades I was in biz as a location sound-for-video recordist (1998-2020). That included interviews, corporate communications, advertising, indie film dialog and post work thereof when on the road. They are built to last in rough use. I went through at least 6 pairs and was surprised any one pair lasted as long as they did. But the price was trivial.

I don't think Sony ever positioned the 7506 for any kind of serious work beyond the above applications. Or for audiophile music listeners. Sony owns the broadcast production space with this ubiquitous, reliable work horse.

Feelas

This model has been standard issue for TV and radio broadcast and much film location recording of dialog.

I used it extensively during the over two decades I was in biz as a location sound-for-video recordist (1998-2020). That included interviews, corporate communications, advertising, indie film dialog and post work thereof when on the road. They are built to last in rough use. I went through at least 6 pairs and was surprised any one pair lasted as long as they did. But the price was trivial.

I don't think Sony ever positioned the 7506 for any kind of serious work beyond the above applications. Or for audiophile music listeners. Sony owns the broadcast production space with this ubiquitous, reliable work horse.
Seemingly, the audiophile-on-budget crowd likes to think of itself as pro-audio crowd, not knowing what 'pro-audio' is, exactly :D

patient_ot

I enjoy the cousin - MDR-V6 - for what they are but they need EQ and aftermarket pads to be comfortable. It should also be stressed that these are a very old design at this point, and the headphone market is much more competitive nowadays than it was decades ago.

posvibes

I enjoy the sound of the 7506's via my Topping D30 and Sony integrated amp, for those recordings where the treble may be a touch shrill I use the treble tone control to dial it back a notch or two from flat. I'm no golden eared listener obviously and getting long in the tooth and with all headphones I have owned they are compromised but I'm ok with them.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I'm in the market for a good headphone and get excited every time there's a review on this forum. It doesn't seem that there's a been one measured yet that performs really well without EQ. I recall reading about these Sony headphones and how they performed to the Harman curve but it seems these aren't going to be a good choice. Cheering on for more reviews and hopefully some gems will emerge.

Have we determined beyond a reasonable doubt, that it is for sure the headphones being measured, or maybe the measuring method and so on?

Not doubting the veracity or ability of the reviewer, but there seems to be gobs of variability in how this is done. At least to me.

I have a pair that I found, (Ultrasone) that at least "Seem" to need no eq really, but I think they would score bad when measured here at the same time, if that makes sense....?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm in the market for a good headphone and get excited every time there's a review on this forum. It doesn't seem that there's a been one measured yet that performs really well without EQ. I recall reading about these Sony headphones and how they performed to the Harman curve but it seems these aren't going to be a good choice. Cheering on for more reviews and hopefully some gems will emerge.
Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones do not need eq, are open backed. I'm supposed to be getting the AKG K371 headphones today, they are supposed to conform to the Harman curve, are efficient closed back phones. I've owned the MDR-V6 headphones, close relatives of the 7506 'phones. The lack bass, have a prominent upper mid-range. Great for detecting dimmer noise and other issues for live sound. Not so good for music. Very very durable. The pads give out eventually, but that's about it. Essentially unbreakable.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones do not need eq, are open backed. I'm supposed to be getting the AKG K371 headphones today, they are supposed to conform to the Harman curve, are efficient closed back phones. I've owned the MDR-V6 headphones, close relatives of the 7506 'phones. The lack bass, have a prominent upper mid-range. Great for detecting dimmer noise and other issues for live sound. Not so good for music. Very very durable. The pads give out eventually, but that's about it. Essentially unbreakable.

That's not accurate, based upon measurements I have seen. The K371 are very close to HTR, but do benefit from EQ to conform to it. Here is a graph from oratory comparing them to HTR

11201077.png

Crinacle's measurements of the Sennheiser HD560S indicate it is also very close to HTR and only needs a little EQ

HD560S-1024x464.jpg

mnotik

I own a pair and I like them, not the best but I do not regret the purchase. I will install a equalizer and do some testing, thank your for the review!

there are many fakes out there, be careful and buy only from reputable sellers. (I also own a fake pair..that is why I really recomend being careful)

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it possible my ears have grown in ensuing years and no longer fit inside these cups? The thought is too scary to consider! :)

Ears do continue to grow! Appalling but true. Also they get hairy. I wish you long life and enjoy
the ride :cool:

Robin L

Master Contributor
That's not accurate, based upon measurements I have seen. The K371 are very close to HTR, but do benefit from EQ to conform to it. Here is a graph from oratory comparing them to HTR

11201077.png

Crinacle's measurements of the Sennheiser HD560S indicate it is also very close to HTR and only needs a little EQ

HD560S-1024x464.jpg
Just to get nitpicky, I said the X2HRs don't need eq. That means when I use them, I don't use eq and I don't think I'm missing anything. And I said the K371s "are supposed to conform to the Harman curve", didn't say anything about eq. In any case, no headphone actually "needs" eq, that's something new thanks to easily available eq like the APO freeware. But when I relied on headphones for remote recording, eq was not an option.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to get nitpicky, I said the X2HRs don't need eq. That means when I use them, I don't use eq and I don't think I'm missing anything.

Did I mention the X2HR???

And I said the K371s "are supposed to conform to the Harman curve", didn't say anything about eq. In any case, no headphone actually "needs" eq, that's something new thanks to easily available eq like the APO freeware. But when I relied on headphones for remote recording, eq was not an option.

Well, the K371 doesn't quite "conform." And since this is ASR, and I assume that we generally believe in being accurate, it's might be helpful for @doug2761 to know that, right? It's common knowledge that they need some EQ to "conform" to HTR.

markanini

Major Contributor
I disagree @raistlin65 no formal "Harman conformant ceritfication" exists. In asbscense of that it's perfectly fine for for Robin L to use that terminology to indicate that the AKG K371 measure very close to the target.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Did I mention the X2HR???

Well, the K371 doesn't quite "conform." And since this is ASR, and I assume that we generally believe in being accurate, it's might be helpful for @doug2761 to know that, right? It's common knowledge that they need some EQ to "conform" to HTR.
I just got the K371. I'm using my Fiio M3K DAP. I don't hear any reason why I should eq it. I know if I want deeper bass, the Drop 6XX 'phones have it, when attached to a more powerful headphone amp and eq-ed. But as something to hook up to a low powered DAP or a smart phone, they're near perfect without eq.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the K371. I'm using my Fiio M3K DAP. I don't hear any reason why I should eq it. I know if I want deeper bass, the Drop 6XX 'phones have it, when attached to a more powerful headphone amp and eq-ed. But as something to hook up to a low powered DAP or a smart phone, they're near perfect without eq.

I'm not sure what your point is. I didn't say you had to EQ it.

Rather, to "conform" (to use your words again) to HTR requires EQ.

That being said, you might enjoy it more if you EQ it to HTR. Seems like if someone is buying this headphone because of its HTR reputation, it would be worth trying.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree @raistlin65 no formal "Harman conformant ceritfication" exists. In asbscense of that it's perfectly fine for for Robin L to use that terminology to indicate that the AKG K371 measure very close to the target.

Sure there is. The Harmon Target Response curve is common knowledge on the internet. This is not some made up or secret thing. Sean Olive has been publishing his research on this since 2012.

Top Bottom