• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ears do continue to grow! Appalling but true. Also they get hairy. I wish you long life and enjoy
the ride :cool:
To be clear, I know about this and the "fear" was that I have gotten old enough for it to happen to me. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Philips Fidelio X2HR headphones do not need eq, are open backed.
I bought one from Amazon and it is here already. Could measure it soon and see if this is true.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I bought one from Amazon and it is here already. Could measure it soon and see if this is true.
I'd say the same applies to the AKG K 371. By this, I mean one could just plug them in to something low power, use no eq, and be happy. I'm sure there would be subtle improvements with eq, but nothing like the way the Drop 6XX/Sennheiser 650 opens up with eq and extra juice

markanini

Major Contributor
Sure there is. The Harmon Target Response curve is common knowledge on the internet. This is not some made up or secret thing. Sean Olive has been publishing his research on this since 2012.
The public part is real. The part you made up is, well, made up.

markanini

Major Contributor
Your right. Any headphone can be said to conform to HTR, based upon whatever someone wants to believe.
It's not a matter of belief, let's look at your assertion that K371 doesn't conform to the Harman target. Harman papers have defined a preference scale from 0-100. In one online measurement database K371 scores higher than 401 other headphones. You can also say K371 belongs to a exclusive group of 2% that scores highest.

Feel free to believe what you want. Some people believe evolution is false or that AIDS is a myth. It's all good.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a matter of belief, let's look at your assertion that K371 doesn't conform to the Harman target. Harman papers have defined a preference scale from 0-100. In one online measurement database K371 scores higher than 401 other headphones. You can also say K371 belongs to a exclusive group of 2% that scores highest.

Feel free to believe what you want. Some people believe evolution is false or that AIDS is a myth. It's all good.

Those preference ratings are not the Harman Target Response.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Nor have I seen any Harman papers using a range of 0-100 for preference scores, as stated by @markanini. But I'm happy to be corrected, but preferably by a citation of said Harman paper!
I think Dr. Sean Olive, who works for Harman, came up with the preference score formula. Here's a picture from his Twitter feed:

Harman Preference vs Deviation.PNG

Unless your point is specifically about the number range -- I don't know enough to comment on that. :)

markanini

Major Contributor
Nor have I seen any Harman papers using a range of 0-100 for preference scores, as stated by @markanini. But I'm happy to be corrected, but preferably by a citation of said Harman paper!
If you read headphones review threads on this site you might have already seen preference scores posted using the Harman preference model. The details were published in a AES paper from 2018 by Sean Olive.

CausticStorm

Forum Donor
I think I got my first mdr-7506 back in 98-2000, and I am on my second pair since, and even once ordered a replacement driver directly from Sony to repair them. They are true workhorse headphones though. I used to wear them for hours on end, playing online multiplayer (Quake) and lots of techno/ drum and bass music :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Dr. Sean Olive, who works for Harman, came up with the preference score formula. Here's a picture from his Twitter feed:

View attachment 104440
Unless your point is specifically about the number range -- I don't know enough to comment on that. :)

Oh, good. Since the K371 scored an 89, it is not in the excellent range. So I guess anything in the '80s is considered conforming to HTR? 7506 got an 80. So it must conform to???

Feelas

Sure there is. The Harmon Target Response curve is common knowledge on the internet. This is not some made up or secret thing. Sean Olive has been publishing his research on this since 2012.
Why are you all using this "Harmon" to call Harman? Is it merely mocking or did I miss something? :p
Oh, good. Since the K371 scored an 89, it is not in the excellent range. So I guess anything in the '80s is considered conforming to HTR? 7506 got an 80. So it must conform to???
If we consider preference on 0-100 scale, 80 is a lot, but well, a lot of deviation too. K371 loses points on midrange, the rest fits better.

In any case, we shouldn't care about a single preference rating number, since we know better than the marketing team, which can be asked for, "y'all know, we'll now be selling these, NOW ONE MORE POINT TOWARDS HARMAN!".

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you read headphones review threads on this site you might have already seen preference scores posted using the Harman preference model. The details were published in a AES paper from 2018 by Sean Olive.

Oh fine. It's actually up to 100, even though axis labels include "120."
1610092352919.png

Top Bottom