• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony DAC2000 - High End music studio DACs from early 2000s better than today? Has anyone heard it?

knkkskknk

1703242229979.png

It's the same DAC they use today in sony music studios to mix and master music I believe, so most of the albums mixed/mastered are using this as their DA device. It maxes out at 96kHz

1703242327839.png

It seems every studio uses the same DAC. Are these DACS better than todays DACS? I suppose since it's custom made by SONY they used the highest grade components back then, and it may be better than a 5,000$ equivalent dac today or so?

If however, it does have worse specs then modern dacs, say worse than RME ADI-2 DAC, then I wonder if the audible difference in dacs peaked long ago, seeing as most of the music mixed and mastered at Sony is still using one from 2000. Thoughts?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these DACS better than todays DACS?
Objectively, no. Is it audible? Probably not, it's very hard to find any info on the thing

I suppose since it's custom made by SONY they used the highest grade components back then, and it may be better than a 5,000$ equivalent dac today or so?
What are highest grade components? What do they do to the sound? And no, an $80 DAC will have better objective performance, but will obviously miss features needed for a professional setting.

I wonder if the audible difference in dacs peaked long ago
Yes, DACs are a solved problem and have been for a few decades.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It may well be better than today's $5000 DACs, because today's $5000 DACs are boutique nonsense with often dreadful performance.

Today's $50-500 DACs OTOH are usually fully transparent with vanishingly low noise and distortion. It's literally impossible for the DAC2000 to outperform those.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Twenty years ago, I myself could still clearly hear the differences in the sound of DACs. I used to use a lot of DACs A/B/C... side by side in my home.
In this respect, it may have made sense to develop your own professional device.
Today, most DACs are almost perfect and I would no longer hear any differences in sound sgnature.

D

Deleted member 48726

Why does it have to be better than today?
Isn't it enough to be completely transparent like 95 % of other DACs?

gvl

Major Contributor
They proudly say the opamps were selected by ear, oh oh.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
They proudly say the opamps were selected by ear, oh oh.
While on a mountain top, by a Monk who achieved 48 hours of deep mental neutrality trance, whilst fasting for 3 days prior and after a full bowel grape seed cleanse. The Monks wife agreed to his preference choices from the kitchen on an adjacent Mountain Top. :oops:

Top Bottom