• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Cool, I tried it, setting it to the same sample rate, and then playing a test sound produces noise while the audio is playing.

So basically having foobar2000 resample to 192000 and setting Windows to 44100 would achieve the same "exclusive mode" behaviour with ASIO as well, right?
Yep. Or you can set windows sample rate to 48000(not very common) to enjoy the "exclusive mode" on ASIO.

hyperknot

So I just wanted to write my first impressions of this DAC. I bought one SGD1 through @Purité Audio and took it to my dad's place for a quick demo. The result was at the end of the demo he dedided to buy it from me immediately, it's that good! So basically I'm ordering my second SGD1 as soon as the new batch arrives!

@Ben1987 congratulations for this product! One feature request if I could ask: Could you add a firmware update to support the Apple remote? The included remote doesn't really work that well, I have to aim it very carefully at the device and the quality isn't that great. Compared to the build quality of the DAC, I'd say the remote feels very cheap. Adding support for an Apple remote would solve this problem really elegantly. I really don't need any other button, just the volume + and -.

Some high-end DACs are actually shipped with the Apple remote from factory, for example https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm.

Ben1987

Manufacturer
Tossing up between the SGD1 and the SU-9. Anyone have any advice on what I should decide and why?

Pro for SGD1
Build quality and looks are much nicer

Con for SGD1
Have these been sorted? 'design quirks in ESS DAC chip, we have rising intermodulation distortion in mid levels.'
Remote

hyperknot

I was thinking the same but went with SGD1. SGD1 supports 2 USB inputs, for me it was an important feature. Also why is remote a negative, they both have remotes.

Also no "Sound Color" menu, a big plus for me!

It's in product planning .
What are the difference between SGD1 and SGD2? I mean feature wise.... I want to buy SGD1 but I need a display to see Source/Sample rate/Filter type/Volume level in dB at all time, thus I hesitated clicking buy on SGD1.

I am considering SGD1. Does it have any signal detection on optical toslink to wake up from stand by (or any kind of sleep) mode? I would like to keep the dac always on and when there is a source signal detected it would be ideal if it automatically wake up (with proper input selected). I need to take wife acceptance factor into consideration and she doesn't want to power on several devices to start music playing...

Top Bottom