• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Sophia Ann

Manufacturer
I got my SGD1 yesterday and I am very happy with it so far.

My ground loop noise is gone. I like the remote control - the vol buttons are in a comfortable position.

I like how the driver doesn't disable the Windows volume control, so I can use my keyboard volume remotely when not listening to music (I set Windows volume to 100 for attentive music listening). I read that MOTU audio interface drivers disable Win volume.

The unit's main rotary volume control having a bit of wiggle/play doesn't really bother me and I will usually be using the remote control anyway.

I also like the input source volume level memory. I will only let other people use Win volume - not the DAC volume - so they don't accidentally turn up the volume louder than the max I use on the DAC.

I haven't tried any hi-res/high quality audio yet so I can't comment on that.

I was able to check for firmware updates (it was already up to date) with the app+wifi router method (I changed my router wifi to 2.4GHz only) - but I couldn't get the hotspot method to work... maybe I have to somehow set my phone to 2.4GHz only as well, but I haven't looked into that.
It's so lucky for SONCOZ SGD1 to meet with the customers like you, LOL... Thanks

wopr

Hello all,

Thank you for this great thread.
It convinced me to buy an SGD1. Which I received a few days ago.

I use it between a RaspberryPi 4 and my old hi-fi amplifier.
The RPi outputs the audio via USB (with Volumio) so I use the USB input of the SGD1.
It works perfectly.

However I wonder if using the AES input would be even better?
For this, it is possible to add a HAT card with a XLR connector on the RasberryPi, to provide this AES output.
Would this bring a gain in quality compared to USB?

Thanks for your good advice :)

HionHiFi

I'm confused too. Can you change the input sensitivity on your actives or DAC output voltage or something?

I'm considering getting the SGD1 to connect (XLR) to my Genelec 8030s which have no volume control. Can anyone answer - wouldn't the SGD1 at full volume be sufficient for me and most active speakers without a separate preamp?
I’m driving my SGD1 with a pair of KRK VXT6 Powered Studio Monitors via XLR and it works perfectly. The Monitors have a master volume control but I leave it at the default setting.

hyperknot

Hello all,

Thank you for this great thread.
It convinced me to buy an SGD1. Which I received a few days ago.

I use it between a RaspberryPi 4 and my old hi-fi amplifier.
The RPi outputs the audio via USB (with Volumio) so I use the USB input of the SGD1.
It works perfectly.

However I wonder if using the AES input would be even better?
For this, it is possible to add a HAT card with a XLR connector on the RasberryPi, to provide this AES output.
Would this bring a gain in quality compared to USB?

Thanks for your good advice :)
I'm using the same setup. How could it be "better"? Check the Jitter test, USB is perfect on SGD1.

On the other hand, you can spend weeks "tuning" this system, buying additional hardware, new cables, etc. and end up with a system which probably won't even reach the USB's jitter performance.

wopr

I'm using the same setup. How could it be "better"? Check the Jitter test, USB is perfect on SGD1.

On the other hand, you can spend weeks "tuning" this system, buying additional hardware, new cables, etc. and end up with a system which probably won't even reach the USB's jitter performance.
ok
thank you for confirmation.
now I am sure :)

I’m driving my SGD1 with a pair of KRK VXT6 Powered Studio Monitors via XLR and it works perfectly. The Monitors have a master volume control but I leave it at the default setting.
Those speakers look similar power to my Genelec 8030s but with bigger woofers. Yes it turned out the SGD1 can go much louder than I would ever need. I turned my speakers down to minimum gain and then turned the left one up to balance them for my room as instructed.

Those speakers look similar power to my Genelec 8030s but with bigger woofers. Yes it turned out the SGD1 can go much louder than I would ever need. I turned my speakers down to minimum gain and then turned the left one up to balance them for my room as instructed.
Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%. Better not leave it lower than 50% and lower the DAC's volume instead.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%. Better not leave it lower than 50% and lower the DAC's volume instead.
That usually relates to channel matching in ganged pots. I don't know how Genelec have implemented it but there's a good chance they aren't using a ganged pot.

HionHiFi

Be careful setting your speakers volume to minimum gain. You need sufficient gain to drive the SGD1. You’ll want to avoid early onset of distortion. You’d probably want to start at the default settings for the speaker. It is +6 on my VXT6’s.

AA963EC3-A1ED-4B31-BD73-E998CF24A7AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Be careful, analogue volume pots have bad performance in their first 30%.
That usually relates to channel matching in ganged pots. I don't know how Genelec have implemented it but there's a good chance they aren't using a ganged pot.
You need sufficient gain to drive the SGD1. You’ll want to avoid early onset of distortion. You’d probably want to start at the default settings for the speaker. It is +6 on my VXT6’s.
Thanks, yes it's not a volume pot but a sensitivity gain range pot from -6 to +6 dBu, "INPUT dBu PRODUCING 100 dB SPL (1m)"

I don't know what that means, but I assumed it was a small range that Genelec designed to be used with inaudible loss?

Technically I thought it would be better to start at max sensitivity and balance down, but it's so loud that I started at min and balanced up.

Top Bottom