• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

ehabheikal

Has anyone gotten this to work with ldac. They said it was going to be in a software upgrade and i tried upgrading but still nothing

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Has anybody gotten the AES input to work through a 75 ohm to 110 ohm transformer? I had one that worked great on my Emotiva Stealth DC-1, but no dice with the Soncoz SGD1...currently trying to find ways to take advantage of this port.

Finland

Good day everyone. Soncoz support doesnt answer to me so Im trying to ask here if anyone could give some advice.

I recently bought Soncoz SGD1. But. Im using Windows 10. SGD1 cannot connect bluetooth before I remove all other bluetooth devices from windows. Then I can connect SGD1. Now that I want to use my other Topping Bluetooth dac/amp (dx3 pro+) and my active speakers with bluetooth again I have to remove SGD1 from windows and create bluetooth connection from the start for both Topping and for speakers. And then next time I want to use SGD1 again with bluetooth I have to remove everything else before windows lets SGD1 to get a connection. SGD1 cannot exist in windows together with anything else bluetooth, not even a keyboard. What to do?

MichaelStipe

Good day everyone. Soncoz support doesnt answer to me so Im trying to ask here if anyone could give some advice.

I recently bought Soncoz SGD1. But. Im using Windows 10. SGD1 cannot connect bluetooth before I remove all other bluetooth devices from windows. Then I can connect SGD1. Now that I want to use my other Topping Bluetooth dac/amp (dx3 pro+) and my active speakers with bluetooth again I have to remove SGD1 from windows and create bluetooth connection from the start for both Topping and for speakers. And then next time I want to use SGD1 again with bluetooth I have to remove everything else before windows lets SGD1 to get a connection. SGD1 cannot exist in windows together with anything else bluetooth, not even a keyboard. What to do?
Normally the Soncoz SGD1, like any other dac, would be better to connect it with pc using cabled digital inputs (coaxial, optical, usb) if no other for allowing the best audio quality. The bluetooth input is intended for temporary use with portable devices, like smartphone or tablets (when they act as a source for the dac). Aniway it could be also a limit of the bluetooth dongle or bluetooth card on your pc, that don't let you connect two or more different devices ; or a settings problem on windows.

Finland

Normally the Soncoz SGD1, like any other dac, would be better to connect it with pc using cabled digital inputs (coaxial, optical, usb) if no other for allowing the best audio quality. The bluetooth input is intended for temporary use with portable devices, like smartphone or tablets (when they act as a source for the dac). Aniway it could be also a limit of the bluetooth dongle or bluetooth card on your pc, that don't let you connect two or more different devices ; or a settings problem on windows.
Yes I know about sound improvements from different methods but better not confuse this more with that topic.

What kind of settings you suggest I should change from Windows? Ive been through basically anything I can think of.

Note that Windows has no problem to connect more than one BT device. (unless its Soncoz) I always have dx3pro+ and BT speakers and BT keyboard without any problem. Now I bring Soncoz to the mix and suddenly its the one and only Win 10 can accept.

MichaelStipe

Yes I know about sound improvements from different methods but better not confuse this more with that topic.

What kind of settings you suggest I should change from Windows? Ive been through basically anything I can think of.

Note that Windows has no problem to connect more than one BT device. (unless its Soncoz) I always have dx3pro+ and BT speakers and BT keyboard without any problem. Now I bring Soncoz to the mix and suddenly its the one and only Win 10 can accept.
I will try to connect my Soncoz to the pc with bluetooth to see if it gives problems with other devices; I will let you know.

MichaelStipe

I will try to connect my Soncoz to the pc with bluetooth to see if it gives problems with other devices; I will let you know.
I tinkered a bit with the pc and the dac, but my situation is opposite to yours: I have three source devices (2 Android smartphones, 1 Windows PC) towards a single dac.
I used a bt dongle connected to a USB port (the pc doesn't have a bt module): after half an hour of trying I managed to set the dac as output device, and it worked.
But, for example, if I tried to connect to the dac with the smartphone I succeeded (deactivating the connection from the pc) but I had no audio output; i had to turn the dac off and on again to restore the audio stream.
With the older smartphone, even in the past it struggled to connect and sometimes I had to redo the pairing.
Let's say that the Soncoz bt interface is not exactly "smart ".
But I have read on the net of similar problems also with the Arcam dacs: the bt it's considered an optional or an extreme solution for connecting DACs, regardless of brands and models.
By default, I connected mine with a 5m. USB cable: it works flawlessly, but I plan to take a notebook to place in the audio component rack and use shortest cables.
Aniway, you could also post your question on the Microsoft Community web page, they are more knowledgeable than me in these things.
Yours, as mentioned before, seems to be more a problem of settings on the pc side, rather than of a dac's issue.

Finland

I tinkered a bit with the pc and the dac, but my situation is opposite to yours: I have three source devices (2 Android smartphones, 1 Windows PC) towards a single dac.
I used a bt dongle connected to a USB port (the pc doesn't have a bt module): after half an hour of trying I managed to set the dac as output device, and it worked.
But, for example, if I tried to connect to the dac with the smartphone I succeeded (deactivating the connection from the pc) but I had no audio output; i had to turn the dac off and on again to restore the audio stream.
With the older smartphone, even in the past it struggled to connect and sometimes I had to redo the pairing.
Let's say that the Soncoz bt interface is not exactly "smart ".
But I have read on the net of similar problems also with the Arcam dacs: the bt it's considered an optional or an extreme solution for connecting DACs, regardless of brands and models.
By default, I connected mine with a 5m. USB cable: it works flawlessly, but I plan to take a notebook to place in the audio component rack and use shortest cables.
Aniway, you could also post your question on the Microsoft Community web page, they are more knowledgeable than me in these things.
Yours, as mentioned before, seems to be more a problem of settings on the pc side, rather than of a dac's issue.
The problem is def. with the Soncoz, not Windows. I had a chance to try it with my brother's laptop and didn't work there either. He said he's never seen bluetooth to behave like that. Soncoz takes control the bluetooth system so deeply that device connected after Soncoz will also be named Soncoz in Windows. I now have Soncoz totally removed and Topping dx3pro+ paired with Win10 and Win claims in setting and in bottom right speaker pic audio section that it's actually Soncoz. I might try and wait Win11 and to see if there's any luck with that.

When there was talk earlier about wired sound quality being superior I want to mention that I also use this usb most of the time, BT is for late at night sessions when I wanna pull the signal to another amp on the other side of the room and drive Soncoz wireless.

MichaelStipe

The problem is def. with the Soncoz, not Windows. I had a chance to try it with my brother's laptop and didn't work there either. He said he's never seen bluetooth to behave like that. Soncoz takes control the bluetooth system so deeply that device connected after Soncoz will also be named Soncoz in Windows. I now have Soncoz totally removed and Topping dx3pro+ paired with Win10 and Win claims in setting and in bottom right speaker pic audio section that it's actually Soncoz. I might try and wait Win11 and to see if there's any luck with that.

When there was talk earlier about wired sound quality being superior I want to mention that I also use this usb most of the time, BT is for late at night sessions when I wanna pull the signal to another amp on the other side of the room and drive Soncoz wireless.
It sounds really strange to me too, that bt behaviour.
As I wrote above, I have a different combination of devices; by the way, the bluetooth dongle I have is from 9 years ago (bt version 2.1) so I can't help you more.
However, from what I've understood, the technician who designed Soncoz himself also replies on this forum: his username is Ben1987.
I don't know if it's possible from the forum, but you could try to post the question directly to him (?)

exarva1

Probably, by now , you will have already solved it, anyway : have you tried to install the Thesycon drivers ?
They are those recommended by the manufacturer; you can find them on this page : https://www.soncoz.com/product-item-2.html (clicking on the tab "Material" , after the pdf files of the manuals).
Not even till now :facepalm:. yes i intstalled that thesycon driver. Been communicating with soncoz via email but just circling around the language barrier.

MichaelStipe

Not even till now :facepalm:. yes i intstalled that thesycon driver. Been communicating with soncoz via email but just circling around the language barrier.
Hi.
Try to create a new thread entitled as the driver issue.
This one is a bit old, nobody follows it anymore, not even ben1987.

exarva1

Hi.
Try to create a new thread entitled as the driver issue.
This one is a bit old, nobody follows it anymore, not even ben1987.
already create one, but no one seems to have same problem

anyway, are any of you guys still keeping the bin file to update the firmware via USB DFU?
I'll try just wipe off the xmos firmware back

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The logo immediately reminded me of a person in a straight-jacket.

View attachment 41927

Just like the MadMan Entertainment logo:

View attachment 41928

Also looks like a closed fist.
The LOGO is supposed to represent a PINE CONE:

Work together, innovate together, and face our bright future

SONCOZ is a brand under Pine conit Transforma ( Shenzhen) Technology Co., Ltd. Pine conitron was established in Shenzhen in March 2019. SONCOZ focuses on the research and development of audiovisual products, providing users around the world with high-quality audiovisual products and comprehensive solutions for audiovisual and audiovisual. SONCOZ is the homonym of “ pine cone ”. Pine trees are not afraid of severe winter, and they will end up with fruit. Don't be afraid of challenges, face difficulties, don't forget the first heart, and move forward.

SONCOZ is also simplified by the spelling of two English words, SONG( Sound ) and COZY( Warm ). A warm and comfortable voice is a positive energy, and it is expected to be with us like happiness and health. “The Power of Original Sound ——” The power of sound <TAG1> is Slogan of the SONCOZ brand and the inherent driving force of SONCOZ product design and innovation.
ABUIABACGAAgrLPXowYoxJOyHDCUGTjwCw!1500x1500.jpg.webp

Committed to reducing every detail and dynamic of audiovisual works
SONCOZ's audiovisual products are dedicated to restoring every detail and dynamic of audiovisual works, and the original reappearing artist's inspiration in creation. The pursuit of the original reproduction of the audio and sound works is the core connotation of the SONCOZ brand. It inspires the SONCOZ team to be fearless and difficult, and strives for product excellence and careful service. SONCOZ Logo is designed with pine cones as a prototype evolution, and the color is green, meaning that SONCOZ is thriving.
Corporate Vision
The top service provider of the integrated audiovisual solution for audiovisual solutions around you.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me "the power of original sound" is not a terrible moniker

it makes sense... they try to get as close as the 'original sound' as possible

The pine cone actually made me guffaw... there a local idiom here about sticking pine cones where the sun don't shine. Possibly as allusion to Chinese post sales support... so also strangely appropriate.

Reactions: EJ3

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
"Committed to reducing every detail and dynamic of audiovisual works"

they mean "Committed to REPRODUCING every detail...."

right? right?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Committed to reducing every detail and dynamic of audiovisual works"

they mean "Committed to REPRODUCING every detail...."

right? right?
Their translation leaves something to be desired. My wife is Chinese & she translated it as you say. So... I guess that sometimes we have to interpolate what it is that they mean.

hyperknot

Ok, so major breakthrough. This ALREADY works. Simply get an Apple TV, go to Remotes and Devices, Volume Control and then Learn New Device Use your Soncoz remote to tune it and then you can through it away!

So if I have an Apple TV 4K 2022, can I just teach the remote to control my SGD1? This "Learn New Device" is doing bidirectional communication with the ATV remote?

Top Bottom