• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DAC needs to be connected to a network. The available network is password protected.... How can I possibly connect the DAC to the network without, somewhere, somehow, entering the appropriate WPA code on the DAC?

My phone is provided by my office and arbitrary apps. may not be installed. Can I install ESP-touch on an Android virtual machine which does have network access?

Last edited:

mt196

The DAC needs to be connected to a network. The available network is password protected.... How can I possibly connect the DAC to the network without, somewhere, somehow, entering the appropriate WPA code on the DAC?
Man what can’t you understand about the usage of the app esptouch that allows you to connect your dac to your password protected WiFi? You download the app on your smartphone, you turn the DAC on, double press the knob 3 times, all lights will turn on, open the app on the smartphone connected to your WiF, enter the WiFi password and the WiFi ssid in the app, click connect, it will feed the ssid and password to the sgd1 and from that moment on the sgd1 will connect to your password protected WiFi every time it will be turned on using the password you gave it through the esptouch app, it will auto disconnect after 1 minute if no updates are found

Pluto

Forum Donor
download the app on your smartphone
What smartphone? Your assumption that everyone has a smartphone upon which they can run whatever random app. they want to, is mistaken.

mt196

What smartphone? Your assumption that everyone has a smartphone upon which they can run whatever random app. they want to, is mistaken.
I didn't design the SGD1, I am just explaining how it works. By the way, we live in 2020, also my grandmother has a smartphone lol and you can buy one for less than 100$, but hey I get your point, maybe in the next DAC Ben will integrate an easier way to upgrade the firmware. In this one either you have a smartphone for setting the wifi password in the DAC, or you have to use the one of a friend (since it is a procedure that must be done only once)

QMuse

Major Contributor
My phone is provided by my office and arbitrary apps. may not be installed.

In that case you better use the method with the mobile WiFi hotspot on your phone, as explained on previous page:

You can use our simple factory upgrade mode to upgrade SGD1 system firmware:
1. Set mobile phone wifi hotspot, Name: ANIG Password: 12345678
2. Power off and restart, wait a few seconds, SGD1 panel lights are all bright, wait a few seconds, then restart, upgrade was successful.

Pluto

Forum Donor
You don't have to be rude.

Some people have phones supplied by employers that may not be tinkered with, or apps installed, for obvious reasons.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Some people have phones supplied by employers that may not be tinkered with, or apps installed, for obvious reasons.

Sure. But you can enable mobile hotspot on it and turn it off after the installation.

Pluto

Forum Donor
But you can enable mobile hotspot on it and turn it off after the installation
Unless that facility has been deliberately disabled....

It does seem to me that the need for a phone to act as an intermediary is making things unwarrantably complex....

Pluto

Forum Donor
Are we saying here that, were I to set up a local Wireless Access Point with the SSID "ANIG" and password "12345678" then the DAC will be able to connect to it (because those parameters are hard-coded within the DAC) and the DAC will then be able to connect and reach wherever it needs to reach?

mt196

Unless that facility has been deliberately disabled....

It does seem to me that the need for a phone to act as an intermediary is making things unwarrantably complex....
You can try to ask friends, it really requires 5 minutes max, and with the opportunity you can have them try also your setup ;)

Are we saying here that, were I to set up a local Wireless Access Point with the SSID "ANIG" and password "12345678" then the DAC will be able to connect to it (because those parameters are hard-coded within the DAC) and the DAC will then be able to connect and reach wherever it needs to reach?

yes that is the easier way to do it

QMuse

Major Contributor

Yes. If you can't do it via your mobile phone you can set one temporarily on your WiFi router and later change it.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Thank you, but it misses the point that I have no desire to work around the limitations within the phone imposed for entirely valid and appropriate reasons.

Then rename the SSID on your WiFi router and revert it back after DAC finishes what it needs to do.

Pluto

Forum Donor
yes that is the easier way to do it
Thank you. It would have been useful had the background been explained in the manual rather than, "do this", "do that", without explanation of the underlying reasons. So, all in all, the answer for those who do not wish to use a phone is to set up a WAP with...
SSID ANIG
password 12345678

and allow the unit to connect.

hteavnafets

Forum Donor
It is only when the upgrade does not succeed that the upgrade is restarted over and over again. Is your network working?

I have got internet via mobile and it work (so i can surf in internet during this) and provide this internet connection (mobile) with the hotspot.

Okay I will check it again

Thanks for the reply

hteavnafets

Forum Donor
It is only when the upgrade does not succeed that the upgrade is restarted over and over again. Is your network working?

Now it seems to work. So generate the hotspot. Restart (switch off and) the SGD1, then all lights going on. in the hotspot i see the connection. after a while the SGD1 makes a restart and then i see in the hotspot it is connected (for the first minute after the restart) but remains only the leds on which also on in normal working mode.

I also think so that you should put this mode in your manual for the future. In my lineup only the pc or network player have got internet cause of a big antenna via wlan. and the dac is standing in a position where nearly no internet is there. I know it is a special situation but it will be usefull to know this if i read the manual or firmware update manual.

Thanks a lot & best regards

PS: i love this dac, thanks a lot for this great product of yours. Can you tell me which products you have in line for the future? I'm very interested in your products for the future

Top Bottom