• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Ben1987

Audio Company
One question. How should the sgd1 react if i generate the Hotspot ANIG? In my case all LEDs will go on. Connect with the Hotspot. After a while a restart is triggered. And then it will Do it again and again and again. Till i deactivate the Hotspot. Did i something wrong?
Hi @hteavnafets,Thanks for providing the clue to the problem, our software engineering found the problem and finished looking to fix it.
--------------------
2020-05-28
VER: 1.0.2.2
CHANGE:
1.Fixed restart issue after upgrade (when SGD1 is connected to the Internet for one minute after the upgrade is completed).
2.Optimize filter mode (set new mode to be saved after 3 seconds delay) occasionally save failure problem.
--------------------
You can use our simple factory upgrade mode to upgrade SGD1 system firmware:
1. Set mobile phone wifi hotspot, Name: ANIG Password: 12345678
2. Power off and restart, wait a few seconds, SGD1 panel lights are all bright, wait a few seconds, then restart, upgrade was successful.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ben -- it would be extremely useful if you could encapsulate, in a single post, what needs to be done to a unit shipped at the start of commercial production, to bring it up to date. It's fairly clear that the core firmware will update itself when the unit is exposed to an Internet connection but there was a lot of confusing chatter regarding the state of the XMOS programming etc.

It would be helpful if a clear procedure was laid out with reference to precisely which files are required to achieve the result.

Thanks.

dank0

I know that most of you listening Rock, Jazz or Classical music, but please try to play this album "Shulman - Soundscapes And Modern Tales" on this DAC. If you have decent speakers it is real pleasure :)

Pluto

Forum Donor
OK - got the unit (thanks @Purité Audio, splendid service).

I didn't really need yet another DAC but what the heck.... This is the first ESS DAC I've had that, purportedly, does not suffer from “the hump”.

Observations follow; input mainly USB, output XLR –
  • Sonically superb. My XLR switch is lost at the moment so cannot easily do real time AB comparison, but right now I haven't the slightest reason to be worried about the core sonic capability of this unit. On that basis alone, good VFM.
  • Volume setting and filter choice remembered on an input-by-input basis. Nice.
  • Cool running. Cool.
  • Sorry, but the interface sucks. It indicates which input and filtering option is selected and there's a nice arty expanding arc around the knob to indicate current volume but, for a number of reasons, I really do like a precise numeric display.
  • There is no fundamental display of lock state. While this is unimportant for USB, it does matter for the other inputs. If I hear holes in the TV sound, is it because they are transmitting holes or is the DAC failing to retain lock because of my cheekily long optical cable? Perhaps the relevant input icon should flash or something when an input is selected but the unit cannot (or loses) lock to it.
  • There is no display of input signal mode: what sampling rate? PCM/DSD? All probably irrelevant when things are working as expected but extremely frustrating when they are not. A DAC should, fundamentally, be able to tell its user that it's broadly happy with current conditions and you ought to be hearing something. This unit is uncommunicative of real time and changing conditions and that is not a good thing.
That's all for now.

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
The firmware update thing worked well enough but the process seems an oddly complex way of handling firmware updates. Once again, there is no way of confirming the current version or knowing what has really happened following “all lights on” and a reboot. Is this approach really so much better than the convention of downloading something from the manufacturer's server and sending it to the unit via a utility intended for the purpose? XMOS have a nice utility that lets you see what firmware is currently on the unit, and what you are changing to.

What happens if Soncoz gets hacked or an erroneous build accidentally makes its way to the chute? Every unit bricked when it next connects? Instinct says that this approach, while keeping most units updated without user intervention, is possibly too cute for its own good.

mt196

@Pluto I think that if this unit had a screen like the D90 it would have been the best bang for the buck ever existed probably. I think anyway that losing the complete screen as the D90 has, for nearly 200$ less is something I can live whit given the exceptional performances and all its functionalities.

Pluto

Forum Donor
If the WiFi is only intended for firmware updates, the cost of that facility would probably offset the cost of a display screen ;)

mt196

If the WiFi is only intended for firmware updates, the cost of that facility would probably offset the cost of a display screen ;)
Well, that only Ben knows probably.

I feel that the two possible upgrades to this unit would be a more interactive screen (like topping has for example) and a bit more robust case material (comparing it to the Soncoz LA-QDX1, the little one feels sturdier and more robust, even though the SGD1 is not cheap when you touch it, but it gave me the feeling of being a little less "refined" than QDX1). For these upgrades I would easily give up the wifi function

OK - got the unit (thanks @Purité Audio, splendid service).

I didn't really need yet another DAC but what the heck.... This is the first ESS DAC I've had that, purportedly, does not suffer from “the hump”.

Observations follow; input mainly USB, output XLR –
  • Sonically superb. My XLR switch is lost at the moment so cannot easily do real time AB comparison, but right now I haven't the slightest reason to be worried about the core sonic capability of this unit. On that basis alone, good VFM.
  • Volume setting and filter choice remembered on an input-by-input basis. Nice.
  • Cool running. Cool.
  • Sorry, but the interface sucks. It indicates which input and filtering option is selected and there's a nice arty expanding arc around the knob to indicate current volume but, for a number of reasons, I really do like a precise numeric display.
  • There is no fundamental display of lock state. While this is unimportant for USB, it does matter for the other inputs. If I hear holes in the TV sound, is it because they are transmitting holes or is the DAC failing to retain lock because of my cheekily long optical cable? Perhaps the relevant input icon should flash or something when an input is selected but the unit cannot (or loses) lock to it.
  • There is no display of input signal mode: what sampling rate? PCM/DSD? All probably irrelevant when things are working as expected but extremely frustrating when they are not. A DAC should, fundamentally, be able to tell its user that it's broadly happy with current conditions and you ought to be hearing something. This unit is uncommunicative of real time and changing conditions and that is not a good thing.
That's all for now.
Did you install the Thesycon driver? That will tell you the sample rate and whether you are outputting in PCM or DSD, although I agree that some kind of display would be ideal. I get that Ben had some kind of artistic approach was in mind with the one multi-functional button and the led band indicating volume, but I think some kind of compromise with a display that, perhaps, turns off after 5 or 10 seconds of no finagling with the button/remote so someone can see the relevant information when messing with it, while retaining the minimalistic approach. I know Ben had mentioned in an earlier post that the next revision would include an led display, but that really doesn't help things now. It's probably too early to say, but maybe there might be a way to have the SGD1 upgraded with some of the later quality of life features in the later revision down the road.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Did you install the Thesycon driver? That will tell you the sample rate and whether you are outputting in PCM or DSD
Yes, I have and I know that, thanks. But that's not really the point. It's good practice for the DAC to indicate what it's getting. Certainly, the stuff about it showing its “lock” status somehow when fed from non-USB (i.e. non-computer) sources.

Last edited:

Pluto

Forum Donor
Does STANDBY work?

Switch unit ON (nothing connected to USB). Usual lights are on. 10 mins., 15 mins., 20 mins. Usual lights still on.

Does STANDBY work?

Morla

Forum Donor
What happens if Soncoz gets hacked or an erroneous build accidentally makes its way to the chute? Every unit bricked when it next connects? Instinct says that this approach, while keeping most units updated without user intervention, is possibly too cute for its own good.

Is using online update the only way to flash new firmware?

Shouldn't there be some safety measures like comparing signatures/hashsums over a second channel (website, forum post, etc.) To allow the user to decide whether update is allowed or not? Maybe the limited display makes that difficult.

How can I verify that firmware wasn't tampered with?

Especially since it appears that the unit pairs willingly with everyone and its neighbour through bluetooth.

Could we get opened firmware developed by soncoz but built by ourselves for those who are willing to go the extra mile of learning how to do it?

Pluto

Forum Donor
Is using online update the only way to flash new firmware?
To the best of my knowledge, yes.

Shouldn't there be some safety measures like comparing signatures/hashsums over a second channel (website, forum post, etc.) To allow the user to decide whether update is allowed or not?
I would hope that the protocol for firmware updates does include its own private means of checking for the possibility of a corrupt download. You'll have to pursue that with @Ben1987. An interesting comparison with Microsoft's policy of Windows 10 effectively forcing updates on users. I do realise that we are dealing with a rather different scale here but Microsoft has had to take its foot off the pedal regarding mandatory updates, mainly after a few updates went badly wrong. There is a fine balance between the desire to ensure that all users are running the same, “latest and greatest”, code but it only needs one thing to go wrong for that kind of policy to become your undoing.

How can I verify that firmware wasn't tampered with?

You and I cannot. Let's hope that there are some safeguards in place but this is a serious weakness nonetheless. Cock-up is, in all likelihood,
far more of a problem than conspiracy.

Especially since it appears that the unit pairs willingly with everyone and its neighbour through bluetooth

A policy which is a mistake, in my view. At the very least, there needs to be an option to disable the Bluetooth.

Could we get opened firmware developed by soncoz but built by ourselves for those who are willing to go the extra mile of learning how to do it?
Pointless, as we lack the means of transferring the ensuing binary to the unit. If we had the means, Soncoz could simply issue that binary, much like most other hardware makers do.

There is a lot of good, idealistic, thinking in the design of this unit but, sadly, that thinking is not really compatible with the reality in which we live.

NOS4A2

Ben can always post the MD5 checksum of each firmware update.

Then everybody can use any free MD5 tools out there to check if the download file MD5 checksum matches.

This is a common practice to guarantee the software you are about to uncompress or execute is the original one.

Of course, one can always argue about Ben servers could be hacked and so on but then same argument can be said about our computers being compromised by a hacker as well.

I've been reading articles from this forum for quite some time and it seems Ben is indeed trying to do the best job possible and has been quite responsive to all comments and bugs. I would bet that if someone bricks a Soncoz DAC because of a firmware issue, Ben will find a way to resolve the issue.

Last but least, Ben already acknowledged the Bluetooth issue so hopefully a firmware change to address this issue may not be too far away.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Ben can always post the MD5 checksum of each firmware update.

Then everybody can use any free MD5 tools out there to check if the download file MD5 checksum matches.
Errr... how? Have you been following this saga?

The update process does not give the user any contact with an actual file that can be checked! You power-up the unit, it connects and updates itself if necessary.

NOS4A2

My apologies. I wasn't clear enough.

I meant, if Ben could post the firmware and its checksum, a manual update could be done and then the tampering issue would go away.

I am assuming airgap/offline firmware installations should be possible in the case of SGD1

Pluto

Forum Donor
I would bet that if someone bricks a Soncoz DAC because of a firmware issue
That's the very crux of the problem! It won't be someone who bricks a unit, it might be able to achieve it all by itself ;)

Top Bottom