• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

This is a bit of an awkward question, but we designed it so that the user can automatically connect to SGD1 when they leave and come back. :facepalm:
SGD1's bluetooth scans the surrounding connected devices at intervals to ensure they are connected automatically.Bluetooth cannot be turned off at present.
What about pairing mode? Is that always on as well? Could it be possible to have a way so pairing mode is set manually? Having bluetooth always on and the ability for a device to dynamically change the mode of the SGD1 to bluetooth probably wouldn't be as bad I don't think if the device wasn't always open to pairing so anyone can see and connect to it.

jmvdv

This is a bit of an awkward question, but we designed it so that the user can automatically connect to SGD1 when they leave and come back. :facepalm:
SGD1's bluetooth scans the surrounding connected devices at intervals to ensure they are connected automatically.Bluetooth cannot be turned off at present.

Wow! That was a quick reply! :D

Love your product. Thanks!

Ben1987

Audio Company
but DSD files are still going into PCM mode. Which takes me back to, how can I confirm that I am running the latest firmware?
Your situation looks like a foobar setup problem.
Which takes me back to, how can I confirm that I am running the latest firmware?
New firmware upgrade, just released, try it.
VER: 1.0.1.8
CHANGE:
1.Fix remote control mutiple input bug.
2.Fix BT & USB audio conflict bug.

if there's a way to check for updates/update the SGD1 from within the Soncoz control panel itself in lieu of using the OTA firmware update option, that would be even better
This is a good idea. Thank you for your comments. We will evaluate the feasibility of implementation.

Ben1987

Audio Company
A: We are playing in DSD mode visually
No, You can see it from the control panel.
B: Check firmware version/revision on the device and available on soncoz servers.
Each SGD1 has a unique ID, we can see the status through the server (when the user is connected to the Internet), the user cannot see it at present. We will only choose to push the new firmware to the user, and do nothing else.

Ben1987

Audio Company
Like I said, I did the XMOS update and have the Soncoz driver installed, so the next thing I need to confirm is I am running the correct firmware revision on the DAC itself. I just don't know how to actually do that.
I'm thinking of making a video to solve this problem.:)

nspp

Your situation looks like a foobar setup problem.

CHANGE:

This is a good idea. Thank you for your comments. We will evaluate the feasibility of implementation.
That would be nice to have dedicated ota software and/or a way to see an info page using wifi IP and minimal server or have a dedicated wifi AP and same minimal AP... (next step for V2+ will be to have a VAM3 inside ;) )

Ben1987

Audio Company
What about pairing mode? Is that always on as well? Could it be possible to have a way so pairing mode is set manually?
Pairing authorization is required for the first connection, with authorization from the person who owns the main device.Previous versions have tried to solve this problem by switching off the bluetooth, which seems to be a better experience. I have also struggled with this problem, and I will consider it in a little more time, maybe there is a better solution.

CHANGE:
So I just rebooted the SGD1. All of the lights on the front panel lit up then a couple of minutes later it rebooted, then the lights went on a second time and it rebooted again. I'm no longer getting denies to my firewall, so I looks like the update should have gone through. Still though, is there some play I can confirm the DAC is running 1.0.1.8 on my end? Nothing in the control panel looks like it shows the firmware revision number so I can't verify beyond guessing based on what I saw.

nspp

No, You can see it from the control panel.
For me i can see what is sent to the device using log or diagnostic from picoplayer or daphile or .... But this is on the other side of the cable ;)
I have a dac which use a combination of led to indicate current status (No fancy screen). You could have such a mechanism using filter or input led :
44.1, 48, DSD64 and x2 x4 x8 x16. You can flash combination when you receive new stream or on demand using a double push or else on the volume knob and/or the left/right key on the remote.
About firmware version you could also use flashing code, first number led 1 then Second number led 2. led 3 and finally led 4 ..
This is not as nice as web controlled device or ttl console but at least you could check even if not connected to internet version.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Anyone running this directly into a power amplifier? I'm looking for a DAC (no headphone output needed) with balanced out and a remote control for volume control.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Anyone running this directly into a power amplifier? I'm looking for a DAC (no headphone output needed) with balanced out and a remote control for volume control.
I am. Works great!

hteavnafets

Forum Donor
So now i did some tests. At first time i was a little bit disappointed, but this have nothing to do with the dac.

So I recognized noise if i have no input from the dac, but the volume from the amplifier to max. But after some investigation it was the power cord of the amplifier. I fixed this with a shielded cable and now i have either noise from amplifier nor from the dac.

So the DAC is really great. Every format i tried to play from DSD 512 to PCM 24Bit / 384kHz is playing without a problem. The DAC looks great and it represent every small detail in the music.

I'm very greatful to find this website and also this product. Highest respect on Ben. This is really a nice product to a top price. I listened to some DAC's before. Some in higher price categories and some in lower. But this is the best DAC to a price categorie to 1000€ I ever heard. Thanks a lot and please continue your great work.

Bazz

I thought the design was meant to flatten the hump, seems to be worse if anything, the Sabaj D5 looks better to me and is cheaper in the UK also.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

soundcheck

You mean the volume adjustment function of XMOS, the same function as KTB.XMOS to adjust the volume so that the system is more stable. If more people are required, they will consider upgrading the XMOS firmware to open up this feature.

Sorry for the late response.

No. Basically an I2C control of the DAC chip via XMOS. Otherwise e.g. DSD volume control wouldn't work. The Sabre's are not doing true-DSD, but having that Sabre VC accessible through the driver would allow VC via apps that are able to handle the DACs VC. Such apps as MPD and squeezelite. Only this would allow to do VC on native DSD or DOP via app.

I do not use the KTB VC because it simply doesn't make sense if it is not controlling the internal Sabre DAC VC.

In the end what I am after is a DAC that can be fully controlled via XMOS << driver. No IR remote. No front panel controls.
Fully !?!? OK. VC, filters and outputs would cover it.

Top Bottom