• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Software Player volume vs DAC digital volume vs Analog volume

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Thanks for the link, I had a look and it is certainly interesting. Too bad that thread went South!

I'd rather stay in the digital domain as much as possible; but for sure, non-linear processing (compression, etc.) is a potential minefield. But sort of off-topic in relation to analogue vs. [type of] digital volume control.

Last edited:

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
However, as a practical demonstration, in software that operates in floating-point, one can generate a test tone way below -100dBFS, dither to 16-bits, then scale (amplify) back up to an audible level--and the test tone is audible under the noise

And here it is visually--1kHz sine at -140dBFS, 16-bit dither/noise shaping.

ASR 7.png

Leon37

hello everybody

I am working with APO equalizer which proposes a lot of features to manage channel matrix/FIR convolution and VST plugin. Nevetheless I would like to know the quality/resolution of APO internal processing to know if I can use the Preamp gain control to reduce around 10dB output level to my channels. The target is to avoid any loss of resolution in the digital output signal ( 24bit 96Khz).

Thanks for your advice

Top Bottom