• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Uh oh...

Runway expansion interference is starting...

Our runway is closed tomorrow:

1626372758942.png

I was gonna go fly.

Ok, maybe Saturday or Sunday.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Flew a single-seater for the first time last weekend.

A dorky old 1963 Schweizer SGS 1-26.

1626853763699.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Gonna buy a plane...

Just like this, different stripe on the side, tinted canopy, with hinge on the front edge:

1627857231543.png

White is good, less burn when you touch it in the sun.

Aluminum construction, not "glass", more durable when left outside.

I'll consider it to be an "intermediate" ship, comparable to the best glass in the late 70's, but not today.

Glass wings can be more perfectly shaped, better laminar flow.

Schweizer 1-35C, serial no #97, manufactured in 1980.

Made in U.S.A.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult?NNumberTxt=2927H

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_SGS_1-35

How the canopy will probably look:

1627860806892.png

---

It's all in pieces in a workshop at the club, being repainted and soon to be reassembled and reinspected.

Too good a deal to pass up as I don't have to do anything -- it's already here, it's being rebuilt, don't have to drive across the country to look and be disappointed, don't have to rent a vehicle to tow it home, is a known quantity to the folks who need to know about it, it's had its regular and annual inspections by one of the club's retired licensed A&P mechanics, my instructor approves even though I don't have my license yet, will get help with from one of the board members on the necessary paperwork, etc.

Helped put a similar plane into its trailer today, it's kind of a pain in the ass. The owner taking it to Pennsylvania for reasons unknown. That trailer and the fittings inside were somewhat "homemade", the one that comes with this one might be German, from the little plaque with the serial and model numbers. It wasn't very English, at any rate.

A glider joke is that it is better to buy a good trailer with a so-so plane inside, than a good plane with a crappy trailer.

Will be able to give some real pictures soon.

---

Different from what I've been flying in that it has flaps instead of spoilers/airbrakes, so a little different technique for landing will be needed.

Both add drag, to steepen descent angle, but flaps add lift where spoilers/brakes kill lift.

---

Owner is a retiring doctor, and member of the club, retiring practice and moving to Highlands NC, and just wants to let it go. I've seen it in the shop for months, someone slowly working on it since that's what he likes to do. Only found out Friday it was for sale, when the owner dropped by to see what's up and take a refresher ride in one of the tandems.

He showed me a partial "before" picture, think bird poop and green mildew on the faded rough exterior, like a car that sat unmoved under a tree for a year (?) or so.

Looks really good now, not unlike the first photo above. Seems undamaged, imagine a 40 year old car being (relatively) refreshed.

Haven't seen the cockpit yet, hidden by tape/paper to block paint overspray. I presume it will be fairly utilitarian as with the other club planes.

---

Flew from and landed on the grass by our closed runway on Friday, to get used to that and the approach from the east instead of the west to avoid the skydivers that are using a conflicting area. That was nice. A little bumpy and narrow mowed part, longer grass past the mowed edges, no problem.

Then flew with someone who just passed their license test a week or two ago, at the suggestion of our instructor. He said I was his first passenger. I said I hope I won't be the last. I might have declined were I not able to fly the thing myself. Sat in the back seat for the first time, which was different. Wasn't bad, seemed to have a little more room to move around, could have easily flown the plane from there, though it might take a bit of practice at landing and takeoff due to the different perspective and somewhat limited visibility.

Takeoff, from the grass, a little squirrely behind the towplane, a big floating bounce on landing.

---

Turns out the runway construction included temporary re-marking our end of the runway, so it will be back in-service during construction to the south, has a "displaced threshold" and will be open daily except if absolutely necessary to close it. Closed at night 7pm to 7am, as the lighting will be out of service.

Others flew using it yestertay and today, no change noticed in our regular routine or location except a "turn left" apporach over the swamp instead of "turn right" approach over the other side of the airport. The shortened part is just paint on the runway for the power pilots that might occasionally use it, other than the Skydive planes, also unaffected,

1627858664273.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gonna buy a plane...

Just like this, different stripe on the side, tinted canopy, with hinge on the front edge:

View attachment 144935

White is good, less burn when you touch it in the sun.

Schweizer 1-35C, serial no #97, manufactured in 1980.

Made in U.S.A.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberResult?NNumberTxt=2927H

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_SGS_1-35

How the canopy will probably look:

View attachment 144948

---

It's in pieces at the club, being repainted and soon to be reassembled and reinspected.

Too good a deal to pass up as I don't have to do anything -- it's already here, it's being rebuilt, don't have to drive across the country to look and be disappointed, don't have to rent a vehicle to tow it home, is a known quantity to the folks who need to know about it, it's had its regular and annual inspections by one of the club's retired licensed A&P mechanics, my instructor approves even though I don't have my license yet, will get help with from one of the board members on the necessary paperwork, etc.

Helped put a similar plane into its trailer today, it's kind of a pain in the ass. The owner taking it to Pennsylvania for reasons unknown. That trailer and the fittings inside were somewhat "homemade", the one that comes with this one might be German, from the little plaque with the serial and model numbers. It wasn't very English, at any rate.

A glider joke is that it is better to buy a good trailer with a so-so plane inside, than a good plane with a crappy trailer.

Will be able togive some real pictures soon.

---

Different from what I've been flying in that it has flaps instead of spoilers/airbrakes, so a little different technique for landing will be needed.

Both add drag, to steepen descent angle, but flaps add lift where spoilers/brakes kill lift.

---

Owner is a retiring doctor, and member of the club, retiring practice and moving to Highlands NC, and just wants to let it go. I've seen it in the shop for months, someone slowly working on it since that's what he likes to do. Only found out Friday it was for sale, when the owner dropped by to see what's up and take a refresher ride in one of the tandems.

He showed me a partial "before" picture, think bird poop and green mildew on the exterior, like a car that sat unmoved under a tree for a year (?) or so.

Looks really good now, not unlike the first photo above. Seems undamaged, imagine a 40 year old car being (relatively) refreshed.

Haven't seen the cockpit yet, hidden by tape/paper to block paint overspray. I presume it will be fairly utilitarian as with the other club planes.

---

Flew from and landed on the grass by our closed runway on Friday. That was nice. A little bumpy and narrow mowed part, longer grass past the mowed edges, no problem.

Saturday day flew with someone who just passed their license test a week or two ago, at the suggestion of our instructor. He said I was his first passenger. I said I hope I won't be the last. I might have declined were I not able to fly the thing myself. Sat in the back seat for the first time, which was different. Wasn't bad, seemed to have a little more room to move around, could have easily flown the plane from there, though it might take a bit of practice at landing and takeoff due to the different perspective and somewhat limited visibility.

Takeoff, from the grass, a little squirrely behind the towplane, a big floating bounce on landing.

---

Turns out the runway construction included temporary re-marking our end of the runway, so it will be back in-service during construction to the south, has a "displaced threshold" and will be open daily except if absolutely necessary to close it. Closed at night 7pm to 7am, as the lighting will be out of service.

Others flew using it today, no change noticed in our regular routine or location. The shortened part is just paint on the runway for the power pilots that might occasionally use it, other than the Skydive planes, also unaffected,

View attachment 144936
It might be 40 years old but it appears pretty sporty to me. :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey congrats on your purchase. I suppose the key question is how soon is soon to be reassembled?

I think you'll like flaps much better. I think you'll find it a little easier to make nice landings with them.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It might be 40 years old but it appears pretty sporty to me.

I agree.

The club plane of the same type gave a member a 5+ hour flight on a cloudless day (hard to figure out where the rising air is without a puffy cloud to mark them).

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I suppose the key question is how soon is soon to be reassembled?

Within the next week or ten days. I'll help.

I won't get to fly it for a while, not qualified yet.

I suppose the guy who "signs off" the rebuild will probably take it up.

Who else, I dunno. Plenty of qualified pilots there.

---

I mentioned before, someone parked an old old kit built wooden thing somebody gave (?) him on an open trailer under a saggy tarp - BG-12.

We were looking at it (owner not there), talked about inspection for airworthyness. and problems of old wood and glue.

I asked "Do we have a test pilot?"

Club President laughed and said "You buy it, you fly it."

That was several months ago, it hasn't moved or been touched to my knowledge. The owner doesn't have a license, and maybe not enough cash for much flight training. Odd situation.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So, did you get your license? I've always wanted to be a pilot, ditto my wife, but probably won't happen... I really enjoy this thread.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So, did you get your license?

I have a Student License, can fly solo, no passengers, under the loose supervision of the instructor.

He has to approve what I fly. I can fly the two-place Blanik or the dorky SGS 1-26. A little more in the 1-26 and I'll move up to a SGS 1-36. And there are three higher performance (more slippery) dual seaters... Grob 103.

It's been too windy to fly the 1-26 recently. The blue plane a couple of posts above. Crosswind exceeding the rating for the plane, and gusts possibly exceeding my control judgement. You don't get a do-over when it is time to land. You're gonna land someplace. It's light and can get blown around more than the heavier/faster gliders.

There's a written test to be scheduled at a test center, and an oral question/flight demonstration to be scheduled with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

I'm behind on all the obscure regulation/calculation and other stuff you don't need when putzing around the familiar area, thought I had what I needed, but the practice tests didn't go well.

No anxiety or hurry. Ordered a hard copy of the FAR/AIM that will have some answers I don't, and will go from there.

There's glider specific as well as general knowledge that has to be learned and rememberable.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Within the next week or ten days. I'll help.

I won't get to fly it for a while, not qualified yet.

I suppose the guy who "signs off" the rebuild will probably take it up.

Who else, I dunno. Plenty of qualified pilots there.

---

I mentioned before, someone parked an old old kit built wooden thing somebody gave (?) him on an open trailer under a saggy tarp - BG-12.

We were looking at it (owner not there), talked about inspection for airworthyness. and problems of old wood and glue.

I asked "Do we have a test pilot?"

Club President laughed and said "You buy it, you fly it."

That was several months ago, it hasn't moved or been touched to my knowledge. The owner doesn't have a license, and maybe not enough cash for much flight training. Odd situation.
I had thought the plane you are buying was fiberglass. I see in the link it actually is aluminum. I'd think in an older refurbished plane aluminum is better than fiberglass or wood.

Hope you are flying it relatively soon.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Student License, can fly solo, no passengers, under the loose supervision of the instructor.

He has to approve what I fly. I can fly the two-place Blanik or the dorky SGS 1-26. A little more in the 1-26 and I'll move up to a SGS 1-36.

It's been too windy to fly recently. Croswwind exceeding the rating for the plane, and gusts possibly exceeding my control judgement. You don't get a do-over when it is time to land. You're gonna land someplace.

There's a written test to be scheduled at a test center, and an oral question/flight demonstration to be scheduled with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

I'm behind on all the obscure regulation/calculation and other stuff you don't need when putzing around the familiar area, thought I had what I needed, but the practice tests didn't go well.

No anxiety or hurry. Ordered a hard copy of the FAR/AIM that will have some answers I don't, and will go from there.

There's glider specific as well as general knowledge that has to be learned and rememberable.
Way back when I was taking lessons community colleges had 3 or 6 week classes with people teaching you what you needed for passing the paper test. If they have those, I thought it very much worthwhile. I assume you've some of those help manuals that are written just to help you pass the written test? At least you won't need to know how much av/gas weighs per gallon.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Way back when I was taking lessons community colleges had 3 or 6 week classes with people teaching you what you needed for passing the paper test. If they have those, I thought it very much worthwhile. I assume you've some of those help manuals that are written just to help you pass the written test? At least you won't need to know how much av/gas weighs per gallon.

I've got a Test Prep book and a $10 online quizzer that simulates the real test.

I didn't pass yet.

Oh well.

I budgeted a year in my mind when I started, since I'm old, no background other than RC gliders, and it's a casual training experience, not a school.

It'll piss off my instructor if i don't get into the September schedule, but won't bother me.

Started February 1, so six months in right now.

A little more experience, and an endorsement from my instructor, and I can fly it as a "student".

No worries.

1627878785622.png

1627879009727.png

Weight is 163 today...

Down at least 40lbs from peak last December.

Work there twice a week, fast all day, I figure that forces me to burn fat for fuel, and not gorge the rest of the week.

I ate once just before flying with my instructor, I didn't feel well and asked to terminate the flight. He said that was a good call. There's a lot of going around in circles when trying to gain altitude, and if you aren't driving, well...

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Logbook shows 30.7 hours with instructor and 9.2 hours Solo and Pilot In Command (PIC) now, total 39.9 hours.

80 flights.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

I'm actually about an hour south of Denver (just east of Monument), and just a little north of AFA (Air Force Academy), where they have gliders going all the time training "real" pilots. I suspect cross winds and rollers off the mountains just west make for an interesting gliding experience, and the altitude may provide less lift? Not sure what the AFA is at; our house is about 7500'.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I suspect cross winds and rollers off the mountains just west make for an interesting gliding experience, and the altitude may provide less lift?

You wouldn't want to be downwind of the mountain, the slope lift is on the upwind side, though, at higher altitudes, the downwind side may have "wave" lift above the peak, below would be heavy sink.

Airbus built a glider which the experimenters tow to 45,000 feet and catch wave off the Andes in Argentina with the goal of reaching or exceeding 90,000 100,000 feet.

It' really no bigger than an open class competition two-seater, so, no extreme measures taken to reach for that altitude, other than it being pressurized, and a goal specific design.

https://perlanproject.org/aircraft

1627920829240.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Our Grass runway (arrow) and Displaced Threshold (800 feet shorter) on the real runway for the power pilots to comply with:

1627926617679.png

The far end used to be marked like the bottom end.

They used a special (big) truck mounted with pressure washer and scrubber to remove the old markings at the far end.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Saturday, near cloud base, keeping an eye on some nearby rain...

1627927364383.png

MRC01

Major Contributor
As an active pilot, how did I miss this wonderful thread for so long?
Some of you should check out The Pilots Place. Run by pilots for pilots, we created it a few years ago when AOPA shut down their forums.

... I visited the Huntsville Space and Rocket center when maybe 10 years old. I remember one demo was by a Gemini crew member. It was on monitoring various things in the craft. Many were audio tones. Different types of sounds were used for various things monitored like temps, pressures, speeds etc. etc. It sounded like a horrible cacophony at first and it was monitoring 12 different things. They explained it was easier to learn than you think. ...
The stall horn in my airplane (and many others) is essentially a kazoo in the leading edge of the wing, connected so when it rotates upward (high angle of attack), it enters the low pressure area which sucks air out the hole, drawing it through the kazoo, making it buzz. It's a very analog response, at first barely audible then increasing in volume and intensity so it is blaring just before the stall breaks. This is why I keep my stall horn adjusted so that it starts to sound quietly about 10 kts above stall. This makes it an audible AoA meter. For maximum performance maneuvers, pitch so that you can just hear the stall horn, but don't let it get loud. E.g. if it goes quiet, pull back a little. If it gets loud, push a little.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom