• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
NIce, bet you're looking forward to getting her in the air!

But, looking at your avatar and the new svelte you, you changed your glasses! :)

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Flying for hours concentrating and focusing on the task would require the setting to be justttt right I think. Perhaps a nice lightweight plastic moulded seat.

Yes, I've been thinking about how to improve things, before even sitting in it with the cushions that are made for it.

Wednesday I'll sit in it.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
NIce, bet you're loking forward to getting her in the air!

In a couple of months, maybe.

Not anxious. Step by step.

Just had to take the deal that presented itself.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
In a couple of months, maybe.

Not anxious. Step by step.

Just had to take the deal that presented itself.

Wise man. My uncle and brother, both accomplished pilots, had some horror stories about beginners who bought "over their head" and crashed their new planes. Some walked away, some did not...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wise man. My uncle and brother, both accomplished pilots, had some horror stories about beginners who bought "over their head" and crashed their new planes. Some walked away, some did not...

The club provides a somewhat "casual" training environment, not like a school where you might be or feel pressured. They give flight lessons, you're pretty much on your own for the ground school/book part.

I feel real comfortable with the way it's going. Spend a good amount of time there, talk to everybody and listen to their stories and advice,

In my mind, I budgeted a year to get a license, which might happen in September, which would be about seven months, if I can get my nose into the books a little more to at least pass the written test. The DPE is scheduled to make a visit sometime in September for practical tests.

I didn't expect to have a suitable plane fall into my lap quite yet. Maybe Karma rewarded me for the work I've put into the operation. I always go for the day, get things set up, launch and recover others, whatever comes along that needs doing. Such is life.

Others might show up mid-day, want a lesson, be gone.

---

The seller is a Chiropractor. He has some sort of Covid outbreak happening at his office (he was on the phone for an hour Saturday).

I asked if he is vaccinated, he said "No, I'd rather get it and develop the natural immunity". Mask? No.

Hmm... Maybe I'd best get his signatures on the paperwork soon. Real soon.

---

Actually, my instructor approves of the deal, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The club provides a somewhat "casual" training environment, not like a school where you might be or feel pressured. They give flight lessons, you're pretty much on your own for the ground school/book part.

I feel real comfortable with the way it's going. Spend a good amount of time there, talk to everybody and listen to their stories and advice,

In my mind, I budgeted a year to get a license, which might happen in September, which would be about seven months, if I can get my nose into the books a little more to at least pass the written test. The DPE is scheduled to make a visit sometime in September for practical tests.

I didn't expect to have a suitable plane fall into my lap quite yet. Maybe Karma rewarded me for the work I've put into the operation. I always go for the day, get things set up, launch and recover others, whatever comes along that needs doing. Such is life.

Others might show up mid-day, want a lesson, be gone.

---

The seller is a Chiropractor. He has some sort of Covid outbreak happening at his office (he was on the phone for an hour Saturday).

I asked if he is vaccinated, he said "No, I'd rather get it and develop the natural immunity". Mask? No.

Hmm... Maybe I'd best get his signatures on the paperwork soon. Real soon.

---

Actually, my instructor approves of the deal, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Natural immunity sometimes results in total immunity to everything including life. Yeah, I'd get those papers pronto.

Nice looking aircraft you are getting there. I'm happy for you.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Life intervened a bit, but I've gotten 4 flights in my plane now, for a total of four hours and 37 minutes...

Landings were successful but a bit shaky, glad to have a lot of runway, which is still in process of being extended.

November weather is sketchy, overcast and windy is common, so not many good days.

I lost some weight so have to sit on 23 pounds of ballast. Bought some exercise strap-on weights and put three under the seat cushion - $30 regular price (Amazon) for a fifteen pound strap-on pair, twice buying "returned and good as new". Looks like the exercise noobs buy them, find them too heavy, and return, so four strap-ons (30 lbs) for $13 a pair.

1637536746882.png

---

My Instructor got T-boned by a semi on the driver's side leaving the the airport about two weeks ago. He might get out of the hospital tomorrow - he's 73.

Good thing he had a newer vehicle with all the airbags.

---

The plane is a bumpy ride on the grass - the main wheel is about 12 inches in diameter and there's no suspension.

The cockpit is tight, my head only has an inch of clearance, so have to scrunch down a bit during the bumpy parts.

It flies well, I like it well enough, might have had the long flight of the day last Wednesday at two hours. I was the last one down.

I'm still staying close to the airport, particularly with the sketchy weather, but trying some longer glides.

Wednesdays track:

1637537272287.png

1637537405778.png

1637537530120.png

Towed to 3000 feet, caught some lift to 4000, then no luck (or no skill) staying up and headed back toward a landing. Caught lift at 1500 feet and rode it to 4600, which was the cloud base, higher not possible, so ended up with a nice late afternoon flight as the thermals dissipated toward evening.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowow. So many circles. You must be getting good at hunting down thermals with all those circles. After flying in the winter season when the summer comes it should be easier to hunt down lift?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't have a picture of me in it, but here's the Test Flight after its refurbishment and fresh annual, back on August 11.

The pilot is the mechanic that inspected and signed off on the work.

He's about my height, so you can see it is a snug fit.

That's without sitting on the ballast and the thicker firmer seat cushion now installed.

1637539656807.png

It flies.

The tow rope is 200 feet long, so the perspective is a bit squashed here.

1637539891673.png

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Nice. With all those circles, you're getting good coordination practice keeping your feet busy.
I did some flying today too.
First, get out of Seattle out to Forks for lunch, with some great mountain and ocean scenery along the way.
1637541698758.png

Then, fly along the coast and stop for fuel (something your glider doesn't need :))
1637541796907.png

That little jog out in the ocean was to fly by a little island with a lighthouse & research station. Probably a bunch of PhDs living out there studying whales or whatever.

Then a flight more or less direct back home.
1637541872718.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wowow. So many circles. You must be getting good at hunting down thermals with all those circles. After flying in the winter season when the summer comes it should be easier to hunt down lift?

It's not too hard to stay up.

The puffy cloud days with just a little breeze are the easiest.

I think Springtime was good here. Too much humidity (Summer) makes the clouds lower.

One fellow did over five hours on a completely cloudless (no clues in the sky where the lift is) day.

The day I posted above was a bit windy - you can see that in how most of the circles drift from east to west.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the ballast
Is that sand ballast? What about lead sheet. It must be available somewhere. 1/4" thick and line the seat with it and maybe you gain another 1" or more in head clearance.

out of Seattle out to Forks for lunch
I know that area a little. I used to go from Canada to near there with the wife for a ocean drive and stop for clam chowder/lunch/dinner at a quant little owner operated restaurant over looking a gorge. That area makes for a great outing and it's a great drive. The view from a aircraft must be wonderful there along the coast @ Olympic National Park.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The day I posted above was a bit windy - you can see that in how most of the circles drift from east to west.
I count ~105 circles! :D
That must be a hOOT. I've never flown in anything smaller than a twin engine float plane out over the Straight of Juan De Fuca and that was a gas if not too foggy so we where down low. I rode motorcycles and pilots told me that's as close to flying as a person will get while on land and that is a gas so flying must be a really huge gas. :D

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

GeorgeWalk

I did some soaring years ago and really enjoyed it. I would like to do it again, but there are no places near me to do it. So I got my PPL and now I just fly around cutting holes in the sky. Here is a photo from Saturday's flight over Mt Washington in NH.

Attachments

• Mt Washington.jpg
    Mt Washington.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 66

MRC01

Major Contributor
It's not too hard to stay up.

The puffy cloud days with just a little breeze are the easiest.

I think Springtime was good here. Too much humidity (Summer) makes the clouds lower.

One fellow did over five hours on a completely cloudless (no clues in the sky where the lift is) day.

Back when I flew R/C gliders I would follow the big birds: vultures, eagles, etc. They are experts at finding thermals and other kinds of lift. Flying prop airplanes we avoid birds, but perhaps it is not unsafe in a glider as there's no prop and you're not moving much faster than the big birds.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Any place under or behind the seat for ballast?

Hope your instructor is OK, that sounds scary.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom