• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sometimes a gray day can be good flying, and sometimes not. This was a 23 minute "sled ride", tow to 3000 feet, and just gently glide back down

There was a little sun though the haze, and something was building some puffy clouds, but there was no lift to be found.

There was a storm front coming from the west.

An hour later the winds reached at least 35kt/40mph/65kph on the ground, with rain. That's Florida weather for you.

Zephyrhills sled ride on Wednesday

Barograph. All up on tow, and all down in glide.

1711645324713.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Soaring encourages you to collect various "badges" for accoplishments.

Quest earned his "Silver Duration" yesterday in The Yellowbird, a Schweizer 1-36.

From Eric Tellmann email:

1711889516281.png

"Congratulations to Qwest who completed his 5 hour silver endurance and silver altitude. What’s remarkable is Qwest was checked out in the 136 that morning and did a 3000’ tow. Came right back after getting a feel for it and took off about 12:45 for an endurance flight. Not only did Qwest compete the 5 hour he did 6 hours and 7 mins."

That' a long time. The picture is about 7:00pm. He may still be stuck to the seat, You can see how low the sun is.

Eric is an A320 Captain.

Eric's son:

https://www.tiktok.com/video/7352063547381124395
They're part of Lakeland Aero Club, for high school students, but they've been flying here at Zephyrhills a bit.

Where were these folks 56 years ago when I was of the age to join in?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Soaring ecourages you to cllect various "badges" for accoplishments.

Quest earned his "Silver Duration" yesterday in The Yellowbird, a Schweizer 1-36.

From Eric Tellmann email:

View attachment 360344

"Congratulations to Qwest who completed his 5 hour silver endurance and silver altitude. What’s remarkable is Qwest was checked out in the 136 that morning and did a 3000’ tow. Came right back after getting a feel for it and took off about 12:45 for an endurance flight. Not only did Qwest compete the 5 hour he did 6 hours and 7 mins."

That' a long time. The picture is about 7:00pm. He may still be stuck to the seat, You can see how low the sun is.

Eric is an A320 Captain.

Eric's son:

https://www.tiktok.com/video/7352063547381124395
They're part of Lakeland Aero Club, for high school students, but they've been flying here at Zephyrhills a bit.

Where were these folks 56 years ago when I was of the age to join in?
Yes, amazing stuff! So young and so gooood...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Saturday was busy.

There were six "Guest Rides", people who just show up and want to take a $125 Glider Ride.

At one point there were 8 gliders lined up waiting for a tow.

I spent the day "working" on the ground, as payback for the times others did work while I was in the air.

Sometimes a late day flight is the best time of day. I took off about 4:30pm, the first time all day there was nobidy else waiting to go up (though there were some more flights after i was up). Late day,the thermals are maxing out, the air generally smooth,

Made it to 6000 feet for the first time this yeat at 5:53pm.

The mechanical altitude indicator drags a little, but the flight computer gave me 6002 feet barometric (which seems quite accurate on the ground) so I'll go with that.

GPS says 6171 feet, but it isn't necessarily accurate for height.

1711892571106.png

Same shot.

Gonna head to that line of clouds in from of me, about ten miles away along I-75.

Not much between here and there, so will see if I can make it.

1711892061483.png

I did, about 40 minutes later, found some lift along the way to the left in the picture above.

1711893036098.png

I could have stayed up, but was getting a little chill in the cool air.

So that set me up for a long glide to landing...

28 minutes and 30 seconds, losing 5,128 feet to the approach, at about 70mph average

That's 102fps forward, and 3fps down, so a Glide Ratio of about 34 feet forward per foot of drop, and a glide distance of about 35 miles. That's decent for my antique plane.

I think that's the airport right in front of me below, about 10 miles away, so I turned left toward Dade City (10 miles north of the airport), then turned south and overshot the airport still burning off altitude, for a right downwind and landing headed south.

The flight computer is set to keep a line on the map that shows the heading between me and a chosen target, in my case, the airport, in case it is not clearly visible to the eye. A handy little toy.

1711896530078.png

Nice late day flight.

Below, the little airplane symbol is at the start of the final glide. Barograph at the bottom shows time and altitude. Squiggles on the map are circling in rising air.

The gray line is "airspace". Left half is Tampa Class B above 6000 feet top left and above 3000 feet lower left. Tight side is unlimited for us. Don't bust the Class B limits.

1711895265450.png

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Flew Saturday and Sunday... I tend to O.D. on fun things.

Four hours and seven minutes, and five hours and 21 minutes.

Gotta get my money's worth, as they say.

The Cessna towplane has a problem and is grounded in the hangar, and the Pawnee (has a new carburetor) isn't liking to restart when hot, so those of us that were ready lined up ready to go so there wouldn't be a reason to turn it off before we got up. There were two more on the side, not quite ready to get in line.

The Pawnee is on final approach in the distance on the right, finishing the obligatory pre-tow test flight.

1712628275826.png

Saturday and Sunday barographs.

Both days were without cumulus clouds, so no clues where the lift would be in the air. Fly along, hit a "bump", and try to work it. Some work better than others.

Saturday got off tow at 2000 feet, and nearly had to land, couldn't find lift, then got a "low save" just before entering the landing pattern.

The airfield elevation is 92 feet, not subtracted from the graphs. Pressure Altitude is "above sea level" in these illustrations. Thre brown line (almost invisible) along the bottom represents the local ground elevation as you fly. It would make a difference if flying over more hilly terrain.

1712628671771.png

Sunday, found some lift much sooner after the tow. That's normal. It's rare to get "shot down" right after tow. If you take another tow it's a "relight". And more $$$.

Less experienced pilots, and those being trained, will go to 3000 feet. Guest Rides will go to 3000, or 4000 feet if it is a marginal day. I suppose the Guest Ride pilots don't maneuver too aggressively with their passengers. If I see one up there I'll usually fly with them for a few minutes to give the passenger an idea what they look like up there.

I don't have a passenger. Find lift, and crank it.

The rising portions of the line below - the tow plane yanks me up at about 900 feet per minute, later, the steeper thermals below averaged 300fpm, with bursts to 700fpm or more.

1712628920832.png

Both days, the highest point reached was around 4:15pm.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fflew Saturday and Sunday... I tend to O.D. on fun things.

Four hours and seven minutes, and five hours an 21 minutes.

Gotta ket my money's wortyh, as they say.

The Cessna twolplane has a probmen and is grounded in the hangar, and the Pawnee (has a new carburetor) isn't likeing to restart when hot, so those of us that were ready lined up ready to go so there wouldn't be a reason to turn it off before we got up. There were ywo more on the side, not quite ready to get in line.

The Pawnee is on final approach in the distance on the right, finishing the obligatory pre-tow test flight.

View attachment 362378

Saturday and Sunday barographs.

Both days were without cumulus clouds, so no clues where the lift would be in the air. Fly along, hit a "bump", and try to work it. Some work better than others.

Saturday got off tow at 2000 feet, and nearly had to land, couldn't find lift, then got a "low save" just before entering the lanind pattern.

View attachment 362379

Sunday, found some lift much sooner after the tow. That's normal. It's rare to get "shot down" right after tow. If you take another tow it's a "relight".

Less experienced pilots, and those being trained, will go to 3000 feet. Guest Rides will go to 3000, or 4000 feet if it is a marginal day. I suppose the Guest Ride pilots don't maneuver too aggressively with their passengers. If I see one up there I'll usually fly with them for a few minutes to give the passenger an idea what they look like up there.

I don't have a passenger. Find lift, and crank it.

The rising portion of the line below - the tow plane yanks me up at about 900 feet per minute, later, the steeper thermals below averaged 300fpm.

View attachment 362380

Both days, the highest point reached was around 4:15pm.
I really enjoy your soaring thread. Keep up the interesting stuff. :D

Top Bottom