• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Pawnee tow plane rebuild was nearly finished, so they had a party for Gino, the lead on the rebuild, though many people contributed to the effort.

When I first saw it ten weeks ago.

1619735725901.png

Gino cursing and working and cursing and working, on the wing re-covering, at this moment.

1619735755466.png

And now, the almost finished results.

So he gets a Gino Appreciation Party

1619735880932.png

Piper Pawnee 235

Now it is finished, and flying.

---

I'm up to 20 25 flights now, 12 15.5 hours, flying with an Instructor in the gliders. First flight January 27, most recent April 18. That's 81 days. I'm sure a "commercial" operation would have had me up more often, but would have been much more expensive than at the "club".

Longest flight about 2 hours and 40 minutes, could have stayed up, but elected to end it. Shortest, several, about 10 minutes - takeoff, tow to 1200 feet, release, fly the approach pattern and make the necessary radio calls, and land, and repeat. Those are the hard parts.

I've been told I'll have to have as many flights as my age in years before you solo. So, another 48 43 and I might be ready. (it's sort of a joke, and sort of not, I suppose).

The kids seem to "get it" faster than us older, wiser folks. No hurry, I don't mind flying tandem.

Glider Pilot Ratings

"Generally, 30 to 40 flights with a CFIG (instructor) are required to solo. This is roughly equivalent to 10-12 hours of flight time and is dependent upon the progress of the student."

That sounds reasonable. I've got the hours but not the flights (a "flight" includes takeoff and landing). So, maybe 180 days total to solo at this rate. I'm in no hurry. Or less, or more, depending on Instructor schedule, weather conditions, towplane maintenance, my own competence and confidence, etc, etc.

Instructor schedule shouldn't be a problem, he's #1 in the Southeast and #3 in the Nation for some ranking of number of students (of various types) instructed recently. He's always ready to fly.

---

Takeoff is still the worst part... There's a lot going on in the 20 seconds or so it takes for the towplane to become airborne. I still have brain overload.

We stage the glider on the grass next to the runway.

The first five seconds:
No/low airspeed, so the controls are mushy. Strong but stretchy pull from the towplane as he starts off from the edge of the runway then aligns with the centerline.

Get pulled with a bump, often into the air, slightly, from the grass onto the runway, initiate some right turn to get behind the towplane now at the center of the runway. Heard my tire screech once during this part. Depending on the weather (calm, headwind, tailwind, crosswind), that turn is easy or scary, I still get both. Too much cross/tail wind is a good reason not to fly. You have to consider the average and gust speeds. Calm to too windy can occur in a few seconds. Heard some tire screech as my instructor corrected my path once (with a stiff crosswind). Ooops.

The next five or ten seconds:
You have to contend with getting (and keeping) the wings level, remaining balanced on one wheel, affected by crosswind, turn forces, rudder movement, propwash turbulence from the towplane, still fairly low speed, but the pull from the towplane feels strong, faster faster with your butt 12 inches off the pavement, then the glider hops off the runway about 48mph, can't let it go up much, can't let it hit the runway again, stay behind the tow plane, keep the wings level, keep it straight down the runway, even if in a strong crab (like sliding sideways) due to crosswind, phew....

The next few minutes:
Finally the tow plane lifts off and you at least don't have to immediately contend with the ground any more (at least at the moment). Get on up with the towplane, stay behind, don't stay low, don't zoom too high, keep the wings level, contend with low level turbulence bumping you and the towplane around from whatever wind there is rolling across the airport...

Pay attention to and call out altitude, under 200 feet emergency - rope break or tow plane fail - you'll release the rope and land straight (or slight turn as necessary to avoid obstacles) ahead, avoiding the tow plane if it is his problem that caused the launch fail, get on the airbrakes to lose your height quickly, don't speed up going down, and hope it works out, over two hundred feet get the nose down to maintain speed, don't want to stall when low, make a turn into the wind and complete a 180 to land where you just took off, or other safe space), again avoiding the towplane if it was his problem that initiated the failed launch.

Fortunately we have a long runway and a good amount of open space on either side and past the end of the runway.

Towplane starts a turn to the left, so left rudder and aileron to initiate a following turn, not too much, you'll slip inside and down and slack the tow rope, not too wide or you can overtake the towplane to the outside (whip), adjust the turn radius, keep just a little to the outside, start dealing with thermal turbulence... the towplane will suddenly rise 50 feet, you need to follow, and stay behind, and keep the wings level and not go too high... Then the tow plane will drop 50 feet, you can't lose sight of it, so lower the nose a little, but you don't want to dive toward it (slack rope or at worst collision), let him bring it back up...

Then, on the way up, thermals bump you up and down, turbulence rocks your wings, have to contend with that. Keep the wings level and stay behind the towplane and not to high nor wide. He'll make more turns, so follow through on those.

Pay attention to altitude and try to keep in mind where the airport is now, keep following up to the release altitude, ensure a little tension on the rope, pull the release, verify the release worked as you see the tow rope shoot away , announce release to the tow pilot and make a hard 90 degree right turn (he will go left), and then.... ahhhh.... things settle down and you can let your brain recover from all that multitasking.

A couple of minutes of turbulent tow and release in Norway

Here, in flat Florida, you now have about 10 or 15 minutes to find some rising air to take you up, otherwise, you'd better be getting into position for your landing approach.

Unless it's a "pattern tow" to 1200 feet, no time to relax, and you have to go right into the landing pattern's altitude and airspeed requirements, and turns - pattern entry at 45 degrees to the downwind leg, then a left 45 to parallel the runway, then a 90 to the right, and another 90 to the right and try to align with the runway, then maintain airspeed with the stick and control the rate of descent with the airbrakes, the descent to aim point on the runway. It's not hard, but, rather busy. Brain overload again. Instructor shouting advice and you can't understand what he wants, so he corrects the flight path, and you don't know for sure who really did what.

Once you get up high on a good day, it's not hard to find lift to take you up to the cloud base repeatedly, hit the mist, come down a little, look for another cloud, over in the general direction you want to go, to glide to and take advantage of its lift.

--

Got my ride in the Cessna from my Instructor's power club that didn't happen last week.

A 1958 Cessna 172. It's only five years newer than me.

My previous single engine experiences:

Introductory flight as a potential Civil Air Patrol member, in 1968 or so.

One flight in a Mooney, 1974, around Birmingham Alabama.

An overloaded Piper (three guys with scuba gear plus the pilot, from Andros Island to Nassau. The thing barely got off the ground, the runway ended at the beach, I'm not sure if we rose off the runway or just ran off the end of it. We rose ever so slowly above the waves, 1976.

It's a little unnerving to be so dependent on a single engine.

1619736128712.png

To me, a power plane is good if you have someplace to go (I don't).

The gliders are fun if you don't. I like to think of it like sailing vs power boat.

---

Can a takeoff go south?

This one started south but then swerved east. From the Senior Nationals at the Seminole Lake Gliderport a few weeks ago. Picture is from the day after, I wasn't there, but my instructor was a volunteer to assist with the launches and was right there when it happened. He said the memory of that would remain with him for the rest of his life. I think so.

1619736171565.png

Pilot:
Seems to be a Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation (ironically), who writes safety articles.

The glider is rather crushed right up to about where the pilot's hips were. So he sustained multiple injuries, and was airlifted out.

Some gliders (this one) have their tow hook located near the center of gravity, to allow for a steep launch via a winch (think how a kite flies up), and is less directionally stable under tow from a plane than a glider with a front tow hook (what my truck-like trainer has).

Somehow he got sideways at the start of the tow, released from the tow plane, but hit a truck that may have been imprudently parked near the runway at Seminole Lake.

That commercial gliderport is much more more constricted than what we have at Zephyrhills.

About 250 feet side to side clear space in the main area, then trees or buildings. Gliders (60 or so) were parked in two rows in the North wide area, he was in the row to the right near the service road on that side, tow to the South, swerve to his left, and crash. The rest of that day was cancelled.

Seminole Lake Gliderport

1619736385286.png

Zephyrhills Municipal Airport, a WW2 Army Air Force Training base.

700 feet wide clear space at the narrowest, with a lot of room at each end of the runway.

Once past the treeline, its wide open to the left, the rectangular white stuff is a gentle earthen berm and fill - not really something to "hit".

Another runway is more often used by general traffic.

1619736312447.png
]

Not to say you couldn't hit something, it's been done. Sunday. Barely.

Red dots outline an area kept clear of obstructions for takeoff going north (close the the runway) and landing rollouts going south (to get off the runway so other traffic can use it).

Somebody didn't follow instructions on the landing, and rolled off the runway across 150 feet of grass straight at the tow plane and golf carts and folks standing around in the prescribed area for not being an obstruction, around the little red X, where we have the canopy and chairs and stuff just beyond.

I had to scurry out of the way myself. He lightly clipped the wingtip of the properly parked towplane with his wingtip. Just a little ding, but a few more feet difference would have created big trouble.

---

Flew yesterday, with the newly refurbished Pawnee towing instead of the Cessna.

It seems a little more capable of going up, as I was having some trouble keeping "up" with him, felt more like being dragged up than just being pulled along.

---

Instructor is hinting at "solo".

I'm not ready, need more takeoffs and landings to feel better qualified. Maybe you're never "ready", you just do it.

I asked another student, about my age, but farther along, he said he had 80 flights before soling, and 120 now, soon to take the examination to get his license. He said there were some delays, but he also may not be that sharp at flying. I just said "Wow."

Will finish filling out the FAA paperwork I started on January 21 now that I know a little more about what to fill out and have some "time" to fill in those blanks.

You need some sort of preliminary "license" with instructor signatures to become a Student Private Pilot and fly around solo like Major Tom but still under some supervision from Ground Control. You don't need anything to start flying with an instructor.

I put "200lbs" in the weight box then, maybe fudging a little. Digital scale says 179.8 today, so flying, along with the volunteer activity twice a week becomes a decent weight loss program.

It was apparent (as if it wasn't already) that I was a little bloated, when, upon first flight, could barely get the seat belts around me. Now they fit. I'll make 160-165 my goal, back to where it was 45 years ago.

---

So, that's what's happening after three months of once or twice a week, going to the airfield, taking a flight if the weather is good and my (or another, rarely) instructor is ready, and spending the day on various activities needed to keep things moving along.

The tow plane logged 20 launches Wednesday, in the five hours from noon to 5pm.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wednesday's real flight:

An hour and five minutes, starting about 3 pm.

Arrow marks the point of release from the towplane...

Landing and takeoff on same runway, opposite direction. North = takeoff, South = landing

Trace color is altitude in feet, max noted 5812; - base of the clouds.

1619743271107.png

Three minutes to rise a thousand feet here...

Get caught in a bubble and up you go... detail of top right above.

1619743554714.png

It's difficult to judge short distances in the air.

Makes it interesting to see the ground track as you ride a thermal, try to adjust to find the strongest lift, and drift with the prevailing wind.

1619744566946.png

The simulator lets you add smoke trails to your wingtips, but they dissipate before two turns, but do give an idea of short air distances as you circle and gauge adjustments. The wingtips are 15 meters apart.

Turbulence throws any attempt at precision out the window, some of the thermals are real bumpy, constant adjustments to maintain attitude, and add adjustments to stay in and try to center yourself in the thermal.

No autopilot, so you have to stay on it full time.

Cruising at altitude is not a problem, set the elevator trim for a desired airspeed and it's pretty much hands off until you hit a bump.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was learning to fly powered planes I was able to take two lessons a week. Made good progress and appeared on target to get my license in the mid-40 hr range. Minimum is 40 hrs. Then I hit an unbelievable bad streak of weather canceling my lessons. Went on for months with about one lesson per month. I could tell the difference. I think I ended up with a license after 58 hrs if memory serves.

My instructor had a professor on sabbatical for a student. He also was engaged, and his goal was a license by the time he was to marry so they could fly to their honeymoon. He had the classroom work done already. He was taking two lessons per day unless weather got in the way. He had his license in one month with 42 hours flight time. He also had the wife of a neuro-surgeon as a student. He referred to her as the smartest woman you'll ever see (because she married a surgeon instead of being one). She was taking 5 lessons per week, and had her license in something like 44 hours and 2 months.

Now as we age too much too soon isn't good it becomes an overload. I'd think twice per day might not be optimum for me now. More often does help, and I'd think the twice per week still might be about optimum for such a thing.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I shoot for an hour, or two, per week.

No pressure from me on the instructor or facilities.

I'd say it helps a lot just to think about it between flights.

Along with the simulator time here at the house, which really helps me, by my estimation.

---

I forgot something.

I was circling upwards moderately, and noticed several Vultures nearby, circling and pointed them out to my Instructor.

He says "Do you think you can fly better than they can?"

"No."

"Then why are you over here when they are over there?"

"Hmmm."

Straightened out from the right circling, and joined the birds in their left circling.

They weren't spooked by the plane, and would fly alongside and over the cockpit or swoop across my path, whatever suited them at the moment.

The lift there was a little stronger than what I had before.

1619759922711.png

15:46:23 1944' to 15:50:49 2607' - 4 minutes and 26 seconds for 663 feet up on my right turn thermal, entry on the right.

Straightened out and turned left with the birds...

15:51:09 2600' to 15:53:22 3302' - 2 minutes and 13 seconds up 702 feet turning left with the birds...

The birds knew better.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's a "Don't try this at home" moment...

June 11, 2006, Sliac Airport, Letecké sportovy klub Zvolen in cooperation with the company Aeroslovakia sro at the end of the SAF 2006 aviation days broke the world record in the number of towed gliders. The Z-137t motor aircraft pulled a total of 9 L-13 Blanik gliders simultaneously.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Saturday:

Filled out the FAA paperwork with Instructor Approvals to get a basic license to solo.

Four pattern tows, takeoff, release at 1200 feet, and landing, about five minutes each (practice)

One of those included my first landing at the south end of the runway, usually not a good idea since the skydivers occupy that area.

1619972684518.png

Then a "long" flight, an hour and 45 minutes.

1619972409780.png

It was 6pm at the highest point, top center. Finally convinced my instructor it was time to go home.

Long glide (no more thermalling) from there to landing. Lots of gentle turns, just bleeding off altitude, and watching the sun get lower over the Gulf, and the late afternoon Sea Breeze clearing out clouds toward the coast. The air became very settled, hardly a bump till down low, lots of hands-off gliding and just looking at the scenery as we slowly descended a mile from the high point of the flight to the landing.

1619973228392.png

1619973416701.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Saturday my instructor pulled a sneaky on me...

"Simulated" tow rope break, 340 feet altitude. That's not very high, but, it's enough.

Everything was fine then BANG and the tow rope squirts away.

Push the nose down to maintain airspeed, quick turn and back to the starting point.

1620746128321.png

The sky was deep blue all day long. Not a single cloud, so no hint as to where the lift might be in the air.

You just have to wander around, maybe look at ground features that might cause a heating differential, and when a bump comes try and gauge where the invisible rising air might be.

One fellow stayed up 5 hours and 20 minutes, to add a little "badge" to his collection.

Here's the path on my long flight, so much time spent circling just trying to stay up...

Another difference was to make all the landings from South to North, just to get used to the landmarks on that end. For some reason the skydivers haven't been very active recently, but one approach had to be extended a bit to allow a bunch of them to get onto the ground and out of my flight path.

1620746820722.png

Kind of a tough day, lots of circling in mild lift.

My instructor is a lot better than me at sniffing out lift, of course.

---

Oh, and Bad News.

The airport is going to extend our runway to the South to accomodate Business Jet Traffic.

Grrr....

The Skydive place is pissed off, because they cancelled contracts based on the construction schedule, and the construction has been delayed a few months.

I don't know how it will affect the club activities. I'm pretty sure there won't be much jet traffic on our runway, but what are the construction plans?

So far I only remember one jet takeoff, north to south on our runway. Loud and fast, about 50 feet off the runway and 150 feet away as it took off.

The airport has no Control Tower/Air Traffic Control, all flight operations there are self-announced, you sorta fly there on the honor system.

Communications there are on 123.075mHz

https://www.ci.zephyrhills.fl.us/Do...on-of-Runway-1-19-and-Associated-Improvements

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In other news, I've dropped from somewhere above 200lbs to just below 180 with one or two days a week at the place, no eating till I get home at 8pm or so.

Eating before flying with somebody else driving seems to make for a particularly queasy stomach.

So, I spend one or two days a week burning fat and drinking lots of water.

Current goal is another 15 pounds - 165 - and see if that feels like it used to.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oooh...

My little piece of paper that gives me the authority to fly around by myself (solo), I presume only with the consent and under the oversight of my instructor, has arrived:

1620780022935.png

I wonder if this will get me a Student Discount anywhere?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oooh...

My little piece of paper that gives me the authority to fly around by myself (solo), I presume only with the consent and under the oversight of my instructor, has arrived:

View attachment 129216

I wonder if this will get me a Student Discount anywhere?
Issued on May Day, hmmm does that portend something ominous? Almost a birthday present to you.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Soloed today.

Flight #50

You rack up more "flights" in a Glider than a power plane since you can't do a "touch and go" for landing practice.

All landings are final.

There is no "go around" and try again.

It was short, take off, release from the tow plane, enter the landing pattern and land. Those are the hard parts, so the instructor dwells on those quite a bit.

1622417166324.png

Anyway, now I'm approved to fly either of the Blaniks on my own.

If the weather cooperates. It's been really good, but now...

Today had the first hard afternoon thunderstorms of the season. It's been quite dry, all the grass that doesn't get watered is crunchy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Anyway, now I'm approved

Congrats Ray. That's a very cool accomplishment. Looking into the used market down there for sailplanes yet?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kudos on your achievement.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations Ray! Way to go.

Never thought about it till you mentioned it, but how do they determine which sailplanes you are okay to pilot? Is just specific by model/brand?
Unlike powered planes it isn't by number of engines.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looking into the used market down there for sailplanes yet?

Looking a little at the Classifieds.

One Club Member (I think he's the Safety Officer for the Club) was selling his Rolladen-Schneider LS4 , and I expressed some interest, but he suggested to just fly the club gliders for a while and think about it some more.

Then, he worked a deal to lease it to the Club with a purchase option, so, it's not going anywhere for a while. It would be the swoopiest of the Club planes.

The Club owns two Blanik L-23, three variations on the Grob Twin Astir - both are two-seaters - and one each Schweizer 1-26, 1-35, and 1-36, those are single seat

Several Club Members have their own planes... An LS-8, Lak-17B, PIC-20, a Jantar, one motorglider (forget the designation something like this), and three or four more for which I also forget...

Never thought about it till you mentioned it, but how do they determine which sailplanes you are okay to pilot?

As a student, you have an Instructor approve your choice of craft. Another student, not too far ahead of me, has expanded from the two-seat Blanik to at least two of the single seater club planes and might fly the Grob, though I haven't seen him in that one. He soloed at 80 flights due to some delays, and has about 120 flights now.

Once fully licensed, whatever anyone will let you fly, I suppose. I think a Glider license lets you fly powered gliders (sort of an oxymoron) too.

A two-seater can allow you to get a check ride by whoever is qualified and has the responsibility to do so...

For a single seater I guess you demonstrate proficiency in something and apply that to something else you want to fly.

A quote that I won't forget, applied to a third party who has no experience and no money and somehow acquired an old wooden kit-built BG-12 and parked it at the field --- "You buy it, you fly it". It's that simple, I suppose.

I'm not up to speed on the rules beyond what little I need to know to do what I'm doing so far, ask again, later.

Glider License is a little less restrictive than a power license, for example, no medical - if you say you are good to fly, you're good to fly.

---

Even these dorky planes we have in the Club fly well, stay up 5-6 hours on a good day, travel a couple of hundred miles cross country in capable hands...

I guess the super-sport plane can remain in my future for a while. Maybe I'll get to fly the LS4. I'm putting it on my bucket list, and I'll practice my whining. It has a center-of-gravity tow hook, near the wheel, appropriate for winch launches, and might be prone to "kiting" behind a tow plane - you shoot up in the glider, pull the tail of the tow plane up, send the nose of the tow plane down, and then you both deal with the "emergency". It seems a nose hook is less common among the more sporty planes.

Europe may use winch launches more often than we do here.

Here's a Grob Twin Astir two seater on a winch in Utah.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, the summer weather here is different from the spring weather.

Spring is dry, and there had been no recent rain (for months?) before the day of my first little solo flight, and rainy season began after my flight with a nice gusty squall.

Scattered rain occurs every afternoon now.

A little breezy with reasonable cumulus up till 2 or 3 pm, then the clouds all combine and some produce rain, sometimes over a small area, sometimes over a very large area, sometimes an intense deluge. The cloud base altitudes are lower (3500-4500 feet) than in the spring when 700 - 8000 feet might happen.

So I had a few short flights solo, just get towed up and coast back down.

But now have two good soaring flights in the last few days.

First one, stayed up nearly three hours, and decided "enough" as my butt couldn't take any more, and the second for two hours, with approaching rains making it look a little shaky, so head back to the airport. There's just not any room to move around in the cockpit, no easy way to reposition yourself (no armrest with which to raise yourself up, for example).

The high performance gliders will have a much more "reclined" seating position, will see how that goes someday.

Next flight will not be in the Blanik, I'm to transition from the two-seater to a single seater,

Blanik:

1626278376041.png

And the old Schweizer 1-26 for the next flights:

1626278498428.png

Neither of the above are our club planes but representative of the types.

The 1-26 is a dorky slow floater, worse performance than the Blanik (28:1 glide ratio) with a 23:1 glide.

Tow speed is slower, below 60mph, so the tow plane really has to keep its speed down.

I figure a few flights in that, then transition to a Schweizer 1-36, just a little higher performing than the Blanik.

1626278899703.png

All this brings new meaning to the "Old man yells at cloud" thing... I could be guilty of doing that now...

1626279257919.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm surprised you haven't gotten a Stemme yet.

I don't have a license yet.

There are various choices. From what I see, if you want "new" you place your order and wait. A year. Or two.

---

In other news, the Runway Expansion project is started.

They've cleared the area to the south, and started filling in dirt to keep the extension in line with the present runway.

It may not be too long until our runway is closed, and we have to operate from the grass alongside the taxiway between the runways.

X and Arrows - where we operate now.

Line to right - extension project

Circle - where we might takeoff/land while our runway is "closed".

1626284251209.png

Amazon has started using Lakeland Airport for their Overnight deliveries.

Occasionally we see a Boeing 767 or similar descending through "our" airspace at 250knots or so, maybe 4500 feet up.

Zephyrhills Airport at the top, Lakeland Linder International (ok, maybe they are stretching that name a little) at the bottom. Straight line distance is 18 miles between them.

I flew near Lakeland Linder with my Instructor one fine afternoon, staying north of Interstate 4, the big highway down there.

1626285767707.png

The Club has lodged a complaint/advisory with the regional Air Traffic Control authorities, since they are flying Instrument Flight Rules with direction and routing from Regional Air Traffic Control "our" Class G (uncontrolled) airspace, maybe not so much a problem for us but the Skydivers next door go up to 14,500 feet (Class G limit),

So, we'll see where that goes.

A new club member is a pilot for ATI, which may actually be the operator for Amazon Prime branded aircraft.

Young guy, looks early twenties, flying 767 cargo. Cool. Looking to add Glider endorsements to whatever licenses he already holds.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I put "200lbs" in the weight box then, maybe fudging a little. Digital scale says 179.8 today, so flying, along with the volunteer activity twice a week becomes a decent weight loss program.

Now at 168 pounds.

Don't really feel any different but definitely have lost some bloat.

Much more and I'll have to add ballast to some of the gliders to maintain a proper Center of Gravity.

Flew my RC glider with aft CG accidentally once, nearly uncontrollable.

Now, for some lunch...

Pork Loin sandwich, potato chips, and mango slices from the backyard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom