• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, why is it that active floor standers are so rare?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I did specify "quiet enough" so some desk speakers aren't quiet enough for you :confused:
OTOH the thread is about floorstanding speakers not desk top background speakers, which I have little knowledge of or interest in.
HiFi speakers for serious listening to music will not be listened to with ear against speaker and be off when not in use, generally.

Sorry but generally is not enough :D for this world, many people used their speakers with pc, like this guy that have these big genelecs ;; hope these genelec doesn't have a big noise because they are selling with '' over eng '' price tag.

Except that actives perform better than passives, in many cases. Naturally it is not because they are active (amped), but because they have been designed well and use dsp.
You can use DSP with passive speakers too very easy. Im using a parametric EQ apo '' dsp '' for change the FR from my speakers..

Last edited:
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
You can use DSP with passive speakers too very easy. Im using a parametric EQ apo '' dsp '' for change the FR from my speakers..
You can do much, much more with active DSP crossovers than you can with a passive crossover and DSP EQ. You can (somewhat) correct for directivity error as well as easily tune every speaker to a set spec by slightly varying the crossover to correct for driver tolerances.
Sorry but generally is not enough :D for this world, many people used their speakers with pc, like this guy that have these big genelecs ;; hope these genelec doesn't have a big noise because they are selling with '' over eng '' price tag.
I'm using active, DSP crossed Barefoots at about 1.2m (I just measured, it's about 49" from front baffle to me) and there is no audible hiss. It becomes audible at about 30cm/12". This may not be the case with actives with noisier amps like the low end JBLs or Kalis (which are known to be relatively high noise).

But here's the thing: Passives do this too! All amps have residual noise, and your favorite Purifis are no exception. The vast, vast majority of even chip amps are below an average room's noise floor.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
You can do much, much more with active DSP crossovers than you can with a passive crossover and DSP EQ. You can (somewhat) correct for directivity error as well as easily tune every speaker to a set spec by slightly varying the crossover to correct for driver tolerances.

I'm using active, DSP crossed Barefoots at about 1.2m (I just measured, it's about 41" from front baffle to me) and there is no audible hiss. It becomes audible at about 30cm/12". This may not be the case with actives with noisier amps like the low end JBLs or Kalis (which are known to be relatively high noise).

But here's the thing: Passives do this too! All amps have residual noise, and your favorite Purifis are no exception. The vast, vast majority of even chip amps are below an average room's noise floor.
Yeah but that stuff is important if the speaker have that problems, revels and kefs doesn't have that problem and only with '' correct '' the fr is more than enough, most of the time the fr it's just fine in these speakers.

Yeah most of amplifier have noise but how much? my purifi only show me the noise at 3-5 cm in the night, that's enough. I had a nad BEE which have a noise at 30cm, is still enough but only because that amplifier i buyed that amplifier at 300$, if im buying an active speakers which cost more than 1k$+ and have that noise like my nad c355, hmmm nope..

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yeah but that stuff is important if the speaker have that problems, revels and kefs doesn't have that problem and only with '' correct '' the fr is more than enough, most of the time the fr it's just fine in these speakers.

Yeah most of amplifier have noise but how much? my purifi only show me the noise at 3-5 cm in the night, that's enough. I had a nad BEE which have a noise at 30cm, is still enough but only because that amplifier i buyed that amplifier at 300$, if im buying an active speakers which cost more than 1k$+ and have that noise like my nad c355, hmmm nope..
...Are you listening a foot from your speakers??? No multiway speaker is going to integrate well that close.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
...Are you listening a foot from your speakers??? No multiway speaker is going to integrate well that close.
I'm listening at 1.2m as you, i just hate the noise...

If they make speakers with noise like my Purifi or better ( benchmark territory ) i don't have any regret :) but that's me

Also i like the upgrability in the time, always you can only buy the new speaker instead of the whole thing, since many people is upgrading his setup, the second market is very interesting

Last edited:
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm listening at 1.2m as you, i just hate the noise..
Then why are you worrying about noise 30cm from the speaker? It literally doesn't matter if it's not audible at listening position.
If they make speakers with noise like my Purifi or better i don't have any regret
Of all the active speakers I've owned and used (and it's a surprisingly long list), the only ones that gave me any grief about noise at all were super cheap Equator D5s and they were $300 for a pair of active speakers. The JBL 300 series and the Kali LP series are the same way, but I tried them in a store and said "lol nah".
The rest of them? No issues at all. This includes Barefoot, Focal (cheaper Focals using LM3886 or similar chip amps), Adam, ATC, Yamaha, FM Griffin, and others.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Then why are you worrying about noise 30cm from the speaker? It literally doesn't matter if it's not audible at listening position.

Of all the active speakers I've owned and used (and it's a surprisingly long list), the only ones that gave me any grief about noise at all were super cheap Equator D5s and they were $300 for a pair of active speakers. The JBL 300 series and the Kali LP series are the same way, but I tried them in a store and said "lol nah".
The rest of them? No issues at all. This includes Barefoot, Focal (cheaper Focals using LM3886 or similar chip amps), Adam, ATC, Yamaha, FM Griffin, and others.

Hmmm. Most of the time i listen the speakers in the day, as i have said previously ''at 30cm'' in the day at normal position ( Very normal! 1.2m ) it's not audible in the day but at night yes...

But the noise at 30cm is pretty acceptable for floorstanders, since them they are more for 2m-4m.. i think some normal people gonna mut them in 1.5m maybe with his turntable very close to them, but not 1.2 or 1.0m.. xD 30cm it's the limit in my opinion, but 30cm in the very night not in the day
30cm at night it's pretty acceptable, i must say it's a good limit for floorstander. Im not saying they needs to be zero noise even if you almost touch the tweeter ( the ahb2 is that level ? xD ), but imho 30cm at night

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure what all this complaining is about with "tweeter hiss" regarding recent studio monitors.
It seems all of a sudden people are putting their ear up to the tweeter of every new speaker and complaining it is not silent.
I have always been able to hear hiss when your ears are close to the speaker, through many different speakers (including passives).

The Adam T5V entry level studio monitor has very very quiet hiss if you put your ear up to the AMT tweeter (using balanced XLR connection).
In fact it is quieter than the other passive systems.
The Fostex wide-band driver connected to power amplifiers and the Marantz speakers connected to a SEPP amplifier both have more hiss than the Adam T5V studio monitors.
(In fairness the Marantz speakers use Aluminium Bullet Compression driver for the tweeter which could be amplifing the hiss)

I am ok with a little hiss and I consider it to be normal. What I have a problem is interference or noise in the signal which is audible from listening position.

Last edited:

Digital Mastering System

Top Bottom