• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So...Is there even just one AV processor/receiver that could get a reasonably good result here?

LaLaLard

Hi all,

I've recently read Amirm's review of the NAD T758V3.

At 0.23% it is proven to be definetely an audible distortion, and you don't even need trained ear to notice that. (Everyone is different but human ear should be able to tell certain distortion above 0.1%)

I unfortunately have one of this NAD in my living room. I purchased it in 2018, when I moved to a new city and left all my Hifi equipments at home. I purchased the NAD in hope that it will have better performance compared to Japanse brands (which I found usually way underpowered), especially their entry units. Sadly the NAD has failed the test with such bad result and this pretty much explains why I had never enjoyed listening to it, same as the japanese brands I used before (I got my other equipments over to this city later in 2019 and only use NAD as a signal switcher for video now).

With stereo DAC now getting as low as 0.0001% in the latest reviews, why are the DAC modules in these AV receivers still strugling to get even 0.01%?

And sadly if you want to watch movie with good DAC the only way for us at the moment is to use PC as a processor, and convert DTS/AC3 whatever codec to PCM, and then play it through the stereo DAC. But in this way you will need several DAC if you are watching multi-channel movies and it is impossible to control volume simultaneously.

What a tragic world we live in! I remember one of Amirm's first review of a very costly AV processor generated a better result than this NAD, but still wayyyy inferior compared to stereo DAC tested.

Is everyone suffering from bad movie sound as I do or am I missing any great AV products?

Last edited:
OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

The Denon X3600 did pretty well in the recent review here.
Wow, Just read it. It wasn't here when I posted this thread but I'm surprised! The first AVR that matches audiophile standard is a Japanese one!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, Just read it. It wasn't here when I posted this thread but I'm surprised! The first AVR that matches audiophile standard is a Japanese one!
Not sure that I get the “Japanese” reference. Care to explain?

Top Bottom