• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

ClicketEKlack

Here's a weird one from a century ago:
file.php

Wonder if they ever tried to make headphones?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can do better than that.

I am marketing audiophile air. We have a type that is the most euphonic for the acoustic interface between your ears and your speakers - Acoustic Audiophile Air.

And we are just introducing a special Electromagnetic Inductive Air that is specifically designed to enhance your air core transformers, which exist between all cables in your system.

Our next product will be a special Digital Air for USB cables.

mansr

Major Contributor

I am marketing audiophile air. We have a type that is the most euphonic for the acoustic interface between your ears and your speakers - Acoustic Audiophile Air.

And we are just introducing a special Electromagnetic Inductive Air that is specifically designed to enhance your air core transformers, which exist between all cables in your system.

You should team up with KEF: https://us.kef.com/blog/kef-hydro-blaster-improved-wireless-audio-experience-in-a-can

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a weird one from a century ago:
file.php

The idea persists today in the form of ionic tweeters or plasma tweeters. For full range , I don't know any but there a few companies offering "ionic" or "plasma" tweeters. Ionovac, Lanshe, Acapella

More than 10 years ago, I had the opportunity to listen to a hybrid of sort, a stupendously (feel free to use "stupidly") expensive (>$650K) speaker. As any good subjective audiophile I, subscribed to their marketing blurb and thought it was one of the best speaker , I have heard and with the best treble extension ever :facepalm:;):facepalm: No mass, only moving ionized air or a flame thus it has be better ... The company that makes these money-grabbing contraptions, is still operating and has a line of horn speakers using the "flame" tweeter, horn-loaded and regular woofers ...

Robin L

Master Contributor

Didn't plasma speakers ooze ozone?

noiseangel

ta240

Major Contributor

That isn't an early April fools joke? I just to joke that I needed to come up with something that would 'treat' the air to 'improve' wifi for audio....

This line is right out of the playbook: "Of course, not everyone will hear the differences but to those of you who can, humidity cannot be understated. " This product is just for the lucky few that can hear the difference.

They have scientific looking formulas so it must work.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
That isn't an early April fools joke? I just to joke that I needed to come up with something that would 'treat' the air to 'improve' wifi for audio....

This line is right out of the playbook: "Of course, not everyone will hear the differences but to those of you who can, humidity cannot be understated. " This product is just for the lucky few that can hear the difference.

They have scientific looking formulas so it must work.
I guess that's why we must move to the desert.

2.46 ft (0.75m) AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable $649.85

actual reviews:
"In a system that costs $2500, you will hear nothing from this cable. In a system that goes for $25,000 you will hear a massive difference between this and a stock USB cable for music going into a USB DAC. My DAC alone is a $3500 piece. My Amp is $20k. My Speakers are only $3k and my speaker cables are around $1400." and
"an Electrical Engineer so don't talk to me about nut understanding digital signal processing."

#massive-difference #nut-understanding

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
2.46 ft (0.75m) AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable $649.85

actual reviews:
"In a system that costs $2500, you will hear nothing from this cable. In a system that goes for $25,000 you will hear a massive difference between this and a stock USB cable for music going into a USB DAC. My DAC alone is a $3500 piece. My Amp is $20k. My Speakers are only $3k and my speaker cables are around $1400." and
"an Electrical Engineer so don't talk to me about nut understanding digital signal processing."

#massive-difference #nut-understanding

The question they should ask is why the $25,000 system is so poorly designed as to have high sensitivity to the USB cable.

Interesting if the argument is to state the (high) cost of the equipment and somehow couple that to being an EE. "I'm a doctor, and I smoke Camel, so should you."

Robin L

Master Contributor
The question I ask is why the only measure of relative excellence/performance is calibrated in $$. :eek:
Welllllll . . .

I'd say the high-end rags got some 'splainin' to do.

I always was interested in the biggest bang for the buck. As I mostly listen via headphones, I paid a lot of attention to ASR, seeing as there's so much attention on high performing DACs and headphones amps here. I've got too much time on my hands anyway, and was looking to upgrade my audio experience. I have found that the Drop 6XX, Topping E/L30 + APO EQ is as good as any headphone based system I've owned, up to and including the Stax Lambda Pro/SRM T-1. I think a lot of those improvements are on the source side, digital sound improved [to these ears] over the last 30+ years since I first got the Stax 'earspeakers'. I don't have a functioning Stax system now, but the 2021 Drop/Topping replay has more, better bass. The rest of the sound has more focus and specificity. Stuff like pitches of percussion, or unraveling guitar lines as they cross.

I don't know if Absolute Sound has reviewed Topping gear. I haven't seen see anything in Stereophile. Topping seems to be the one product line that really begs your question. I have to ask myself how much 'fairy dust' is in my recall of the sound of the Stax gear. I also wonder how much of my questioning has to do with over thirty years of reading High-End audio & pro audio publications. For what it's worth, that Stax gear was $2000 in 1988, Drop/Topping $550 in 2021, including the DAC.

So, yeah. I'd ask the same question.

Lambda

Major Contributor
At some point performance is good enough for the average Joe.
Its like buying a fancy sports car or a luxury watch.
People who buy Rolex don't care if Casio F-91W is objectively better.
People who buy Lamborghini don't care if you can make faster laps in a Mazda

My snake oil submission: Schumann Resonators
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/rr77/rr77_01.html

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The question they should ask is why the $25,000 system is so poorly designed as to have high sensitivity to the USB cable.
Decades ago, audio equipment manufacturing consultant Dick Pierce noticed high-end digital equipment with design problems and SPDIF interconnect systems.

DaveWKC

At some point performance is good enough for the average Joe.
Its like buying a fancy sports car or a luxury watch.
People who buy Rolex don't care if Casio F-91W is objectively better.
People who buy Lamborghini don't care if you can make faster laps in a Mazda

My snake oil submission: Schumann Resonators
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/rr77/rr77_01.html
Seeing crappy and hard to use sites full of errors pushing snake oil based in pseudoscience by people who have no understanding of the actual phenomena they espouse makes me wonder if these buffoons have also convinced themselves somehow that hand-coding their sites with only a terrible high-level understanding of the principles of computer science and coding somehow makes things sound better and improves the overall experience as well. I think that site looks "warm".

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea persists today in the form of ionic tweeters or plasma tweeters. For full range , I don't know any but there a few companies offering "ionic" or "plasma" tweeters. Ionovac, Lanshe, Acapella

More than 10 years ago, I had the opportunity to listen to a hybrid of sort, a stupendously (feel free to use "stupidly") expensive (>$650K) speaker. As any good subjective audiophile I, subscribed to their marketing blurb and thought it was one of the best speaker , I have heard and with the best treble extension ever :facepalm:;):facepalm: No mass, only moving ionized air or a flame thus it has be better ... The company that makes these money-grabbing contraptions, is still operating and has a line of horn speakers using the "flame" tweeter, horn-loaded and regular woofers ...

Why not tesla coils I gice you arc attack

Top Bottom