• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Putter

Forum Donor
2.46 ft (0.75m) AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable $649.85

actual reviews:
"In a system that costs $2500, you will hear nothing from this cable. In a system that goes for $25,000 you will hear a massive difference between this and a stock USB cable for music going into a USB DAC. My DAC alone is a $3500 piece. My Amp is $20k. My Speakers are only $3k and my speaker cables are around $1400." and
"an Electrical Engineer so don't talk to me about nut understanding digital signal processing."

#massive-difference #nut-understanding

To be fair about it, not that it deserves it, the only negative reviews come from unverified purchasers. If I spent $650 on that nonsense, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it was wasted money.

P.S. The reviewer seems like a poor excuse for an E.E. spending 6x more on amplification than speakers.

My snake oil submission: Schumann Resonators

Good one! This is actually a really interesting topic you bring up:

Acoustic Revive RR-77 Low Freq $299

There are some medical results, not sure if anecdotal or well-studied, about these natural earth frequencies and that pollution of same is disruptive to life, and of course that was then extrapolated to.. It will help improve audio gear performance!

6moons review by Jeff Day from 2008 if you want to dive deeper:
6moons review: Acoustic Revive RR-777
includes: " 'What the hell!' I mumbled as the RR-77 made everything more natural, smoother and more musically lifelike - a music lover's dream come true...It seems to have taken my room, which has been a difficult room to tame, and turned it into a really good-sounding space. Why this would be so I don't know but it's very noticeable and a very welcome improvement...The RR-77 pulls off a real magic act..."

This is so zany to me that I am now buying one just to see what happens, I expect to emerge 30% more powerful lol

edit: praise to Asgard, I guess people have made this under $40 now lol lol
Schumann Wave Kit

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better to ask what is the resonance frequency of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation

Robin L

Master Contributor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Decades ago, audio equipment manufacturing consultant Dick Pierce noticed high-end digital equipment with design problems and SPDIF interconnect systems.

I suspect, you, JJ, SIY, and many others besides myself could provide a long list of shall we say "poorly" designed esoteric audio components with price way above their performance grade.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Etherregen is a bargain, enter the $3500 100mbs audiophile switch.

https://innuos.com/phoenixnet/

Designed from the ground up for network audio
Typical IT network switches/routers are designed with the sole purpose of taking data from A to B with a noise floor and precision that is "enough" for the rate of transmission. This is fine for data networks but when sensitive components such as DACs and Pre-Amplifiers are involved, it will have an audible impact on sound quality

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Etherregen is a bargain, enter the $3500 100mbs audiophile switch.

https://innuos.com/phoenixnet/

Wow have you also locked at their other products :D amazing stuff vibration treated SSD drives . Not a single product they offer is properly design cargo cult stuff all off it . Especially like the vibration damping feet’s under the network switch.

AGLeS

Forum Donor
Don't worry it comes as a pair:

Analysis Plus Golden Speaker Cable 8 Foot $19,200.00

Manufacturer: "Heirloom quality cable with a noise floor so low goose bumps, tears and magical moments from the past come alive."
View attachment 114904
This reviewer gets it:
B1D548F9-7178-4A69-9814-DD567F44259B.jpeg

IowAudio

Forum Donor
So much BS and snake oil in one place this brand and all the marketing crap on their website is criminal. They offer a $2,500 power cable that has been cryogenically frozen - "Deep Cryogenic Treatment to -300F Cryogenic processing alters materials at the molecular level. This permanent, irreversible process releases residual stresses, and alleviates the negative effects of crystalline grain boundaries in copper and brass. Cryogenic treatment effects a measurable reduction in the cord's resistively for improved current flow. The result is less distortion, which impacts all performance attributes, but particularly resolution." Wow!!! Get yours today!!! https://www.essentialsound.com/essence-power-cord.htm

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So much BS and snake oil in one place this brand and all the marketing crap on their website is criminal. They offer a $2,500 power cable that has been cryogenically frozen - "Deep Cryogenic Treatment to -300F Cryogenic processing alters materials at the molecular level. This permanent, irreversible process releases residual stresses, and alleviates the negative effects of crystalline grain boundaries in copper and brass. Cryogenic treatment effects a measurable reduction in the cord's resistively for improved current flow. The result is less distortion, which impacts all performance attributes, but particularly resolution." Wow!!! Get yours today!!! https://www.essentialsound.com/essence-power-cord.htm

You forgot the most important part. . .

"Makes Digital Sound Analog!"

o_O

DaveWKC

Right? It's like has anyone who buys these esoteric power cables actually ever seen the romex in their house? or understand the power grid? Or ever taken the cover off their equipment and looked at the tiny little wires in the device itself?

Top Bottom