• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm amazed about companies who invest money launching such product and spend money on advertising knowing that all is bluff.
I mean there is a risk of failure here, no ?

But finally, more amazing are the ones who spend the money and make those companies profitable .
Definitely it's a strange world we are living in and I have yet so many things to learn.

egellings

Major Contributor
The handles on the power regenerator are huge, but they may well present an image of, what else?...power! Lots of equipment has handles that I think are rarely used to hoist it.

D

Deleted member 4708

I love the marketing blurb, it’s like they are directly telling the buyer what an absolute moron they are, but in a way that acknowledges that the act of buying such a cable is beyond irony, but that the buyer is quite unaware. A bit like Banksy.
I was convinced it's a joke. I expected to get something like "just joking, want to donate some money?" at the checkout. But the site is ducking serious, isn't it? How's this possible?
Cable royalty? Speechless.

mansr

Major Contributor
Here's a weird one from a century ago:
file.php

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Suckhaveatit Series power cords

Marmus

On the other hand, hospital jacks/plugs make a lot of sense to me.
Hospital outlets are built to not fall apart if you go running away with something plugged in. They are also consistent. Otherwise just a heavy duty wall and plug. Oh, and tested at FDA certified lab. (They are tested!)

Marmus

Heh, I spec'd those for the hifi room here when the house was built. I felt kind of affirmed when the interior design consultant we had helping us (we needed help, believe you me!) loved the orange. :)

thoebe by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Useful to spec the wire too. I like the sturdy outlets. Used a separate mains box and 10ga with separate 20a breakers for each of the amps and low current stuff.

JSmith

Master Contributor
A $3500 power cord.
Look all I need to know is if this power cord will work ok on my kettle to boil water? If the cable has been cryogenically treated, will the heat from the hot water in the kettle ruin the power cord?

Further if I buy a 2nd one for my amp, will this mean power chords are faithfully reproduced?

So I'm pretty decided I think on this one;

purist-30th_power.jpg

https://robbreport.com/gear/audio/s...ist-audio-design-30th-anniversary-power-cord/

I mean it's well priced, only $17200 for 3m (just under 10')… I wonder if they come in a 3 pack?

JSmith

iann

Seen a lot of products over the years but this is surely the most ridiculous yet.

http://audiophile.rocks/termino.html

RCA blanking plugs with extra "crystals", to quote...

"When plugging the Termino into the RCA, the noise is naturally drawn into the Abysscurum Crystal Formula inside the Termino where it's cleaned. The Termino is like a vacuum cleaner that sucks out the noise from the audio system. After plugging in the Termino it will take a minute until you hear cleaner sound, because the Termino needs time to clean the noise. The opposite is true as well, when unplugging the Termino, it will take a minute until you hear dirty sound again. It's important to keep the Termino always plugged in, so that it will continue to clean new noise generated by the equipment. We recommend at least one Termino for every equipment in your audio system. The Abysscurum Termino works equally good for the amplifier, pre-amp, DAC, CD player or other source component. For the cleanest sound, use as many Termino as you can fit into your audio system."

Surely if you leave it plugged in the crystals will fill up with all the noise? Amazing, I not entirely sure the whole site isn't a knowing joke.

simplex

Surely if you leave it plugged in the crystals will fill up with all the noise? Amazing, I not entirely sure the whole site isn't a knowing joke.
I'm afraid it isn't, actually. Here's their / his promotion video:

My personal summary of 1st three minutes (could not stand it for a longer time, sorry!):

Abysscurum sold out ... have some for my own ... don't want to sell ... were sold for 250 Dollars ... sold out ... but for you my youtube subscribers ... if you really want one ... for 1000 Dollars ... make it only for you ... sold out ... don't want to sell ... 1000 Dollars ...

I like the dog, by the way! :facepalm: o_O

iann

This guy has loads of YouTube IDs and videos... just the titles on his 1000 year old man account are amazing, "my secret stash of snacks for female visitors", "never tie your shoe laces".

Fully expect to see him on the news soon "...then turned the gun on himself"

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I came across a guy who bought a $200 Emotiva Outlet/surge protector.............man Emo is not having a good days recently.

Enchy

I also love how he ran his own romex (on wall, not up to code), and terminated it into "pure silver" outlets.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This guy buys helium filled speaker cables and talks about how incredible they sound but won't spend a dime on room acoustics. What a waste...

The JTR speakers and subwoofers(I use the same subwoofers, though not red) are legit, but yeah, why buy $16,000 cables, yet not put any money into room acoustics. Could be so much better.

Enchy

"and on top I've got the umm, the super tweeter. The ribbon. To add a little more high end to it, I guess..." the guy isn't even convinced himself.

$8000 cables to connect his $4000 speakers.

The JTR speakers and subwoofers(I use the same subwoofers, though not red) are legit, but yeah, why buy $16,000 cables, yet not put any money into room acoustics. Could be so much better.

Oh yeah the speakers he has are incredible, just way overkill and claustrophobic for the rooms he has them in. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of his speakers

Top Bottom