• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV P2 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 33.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 105 48.2%

• Total voters

shuppatsu

I feel like people are misunderstanding the point of the voting system here. Just because better value exists elsewhere doesn’t mean that the product is “Fine” or “Not Terrible”. I don’t think that there has ever been a better power capability measurement for a HP amp. And to all the people saying “I‘d rather get this other product.”, seriously? If this doesn’t fit into “Great” for a HP amp then I don’t know what does.
Maybe how you'd vote. But unless there are guidelines for what we are supposed to consider when we vote, we can apply whatever standards we want to. In one of Amir's videos, he actually said that people have criticized him for not factoring features and value for money in his recommendation system, and that he added the voting system in part to address those concerns.

I don't mind the aesthetics. I don't even mind the pots. It's just overpriced. I have no problem factoring that into my vote. For this price I'd expect it to do something special. Instead, everything is fine. But so is my L30 II for 1/7th the price.

The L30 II is better in significant ways. Switchware in the front, and a lot more SE power. Given that balanced provides no sound quality benefit (and actually degrades the signal in this product), I'd rather have the single-ended power. Especially since many headphones do not come with balanced cables. It is nice to have both outputs simply so that you can have two headphones plugged in at the same time, but again having the switch in the back negates that convenience.

The big potential benefit of the SMSL is the balanced input. But even that is only useful if you have a ground loop. Otherwise, it'd be nice to be able to switch between inputs except, again, this requires fiddling with little switches on the back of the unit.

I wouldn't buy this for $300, but I can imagine sensible people who would. The only people I can imagine buying this for $1,000 would have to have read some kind of subjective review talking about how it opens up the soundstage and gives the bass a natural, warm tone.

I feel like people are misunderstanding the point of the voting system here. Just because better value exists elsewhere doesn’t mean that the product is “Fine” or “Not Terrible”. I don’t think that there has ever been a better power capability measurement for a HP amp. And to all the people saying “I‘d rather get this other product.”, seriously? If this doesn’t fit into “Great” for a HP amp then I don’t know what does.
Agreed, it measures almost perfect, and certainly better than any human can hear.

The voting privilege is being abused in identical manner as on Reddit. I can guess who voted “Poor”, the same ones that always complain about price and justify it with straw men.

oleg87

Agreed, it measures almost perfect, and certainly better than any human can hear.

The voting privilege is being abused in identical manner as on Reddit. I can guess who voted “Poor”, the same ones that always complain about price and justify it with straw men.
Since when is value for money not part of how sensible people evaluate a product?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not another headphone amp :p, who am I to complain anyway. Thanks for the review @amirm

Bleib

Major Contributor
Since when is value for money not part of how sensible people evaluate a product?
Yeah, for most Sabaj A10h would suffice perfectly. Comes with a remote and perfect channel balance as well. Oh, and pre-amp as well.

Rhamnetin

Value for money is subjective, because people value features differently!

What's not subjective is: this is outperformed by the $500 Topping A70 Pro which has more features such as a remote control and memory settings for all the outputs. In any case, I don't see how factoring price into the rating constitutes abuse. If that's the case, there must be some explicit clause in the voting system rules that states price must not be considered for the rating. Maybe I missed this?

shuppatsu

Value for money is subjective, because people value features differently!
Sure, there's a subjective element to it. Subjective ≠ bad. There's always an interface between objective facts and subjective evaluation of those facts.

DLS79

Forum Donor
In any case, I don't see how factoring price into the rating constitutes abuse. If that's the case, there must be some explicit clause in the voting system rules that states price must not be considered for the rating. Maybe I missed this?

If it was up to me I'd scrap the rating system (I don't think I've ever voted on a review)!

I've been here long enough to know that some people are extremely/biased, and will knock or prop-up a product for any number of reasons. It's like reading Amazon product reviews lately!

Chagall

Forum Donor
What's not subjective is: this is outperformed by the $500 Topping A70 Pro which has more features such as a remote control and memory settings for all the outputs. In any case, I don't see how factoring price into the rating constitutes abuse. If that's the case, there must be some explicit clause in the voting system rules that states price must not be considered for the rating. Maybe I missed this?

Price can change, but nobody changes their vote if the product is on sale for example. Features value is subjective and has nothing to do with product performance (premium case, bigger screen, better feeling remote, design). If we are trying to be as objective as possible, with DAC or AMP reviews, we should rate taking into account only what Amir measures (I know this isn't feasible).

Yes, the A70 Pro does everything this does for half the money. But this is still a great, transparent amp. Currently, 15% gave it not terrible and even some jokers gave it poor - I assume because of the price.

Similarly, DCA E3 is half the price of the Stealth. Do we now change our vote for Stealth to poor?

I have no problem with being aware of the price and knocking it down a grade (from great to fine), but it seems to me that price is the main factor and the performance a distant second. But this whole price debate is getting tired - for every new review, it's all we can talk about for the first 10 pages.

Rhamnetin

But this whole price debate is getting tired - for every new review, it's all we can talk about for the first 10 pages.

Yeah, I guess there isn't much else to talk about (besides early adopter woes) since these SMSL/Topping products are always fully transparent and technically flawless. At least we're at a point where debates arise between multiple technically excellent products.

I do find the use of a potentiometer surprising in this amp, and I wonder which one they're using. I always avoid them due to unit to unit channel balance variation. On that note, it looks like the channel matching graph is mislabeled for this one.

It's an open poll for forum members to vote how they think, last I knew. Nothing is being abused if that's still the case.

oleg87

Similarly, DCA E3 is half the price of the Stealth. Do we now change our vote for Stealth to poor?
This is a strange argument. I wouldn't buy it myself, but there isn't exactly a heap of competitive products that fill the same niche, and those two headphones certainly aren't going to sound identical - I can see why someone would. This amp is part of an absolute deluge of objectively transparent but otherwise fairly basic amps. I voted "not terrible" precisely because that's what I feel this product is. It's fine, it does not stand out in any way in an extremely crowded, commodified marketplace and I have no idea why anyone would buy it. If they re-price it to be more competitive, then it becomes a more appealing product. Not that complicated.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What would you consider a better alternative for perfect channel balance then

A balance control.

Perfect tracking volume controls are a pointless pursuit when you consider practically every recording of actual music has imbalances that need adjustment, or the simple placement of speakers in your room means you need the balance control.

gvl

Major Contributor
It’s great to see end-game performance like this is now available to anyone.

To anyone with a spare thousand dollars, which comprises a surprisingly small number of people on a large scale of things.

CedarX

Forum Donor
$999, 99 opamps. I’ll take a 11 opamps version for $111.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Top Bottom