• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A1

Selkirks

I replaced my LA90 with the SMSL VMV A1. With efficient speakers, used within it's limits, the A1 is a subjectively wonderful amp. It works well with Tang Band W8-1808 and Markaudio Alpair 11 MS single-driver speakers but not match with Starke IC-H2's. My VTV Purifi EVAL-1 + Black Ice Audio was too "clean" sounding with the single-driver speakers. The A1 added what is likely distortion and the sound was more pleasing to the ear.

My A1 was recently replaced with the Audial Model A integrated.

KimbaWLion

Interesting information! I have to use XLR to RCA converter cables because my preamp is fully balanced which isn't a big deal as numbers show for the most part in audible range.
I haven't owned a Class A amp since the late 80's and I remember really liking it, with my then IMF speakers. Any of the amps are going to be in small room where big time wattage is NOT going to be needed. Hopefully I can infer you like the A1 over the LA90. While the RP600s are not as sensitive as Klipsch claims, they are good enough for a 10-15watt class A amp! I was thinking 2 Aleph 5 mono blocks knock offs or even may the new Nobsound Marantz Hadamp knock off at 120W, but I wanted something smaller!

OP
T

ThoFi

The slightly warm A1 will match very good to the not so warm Klipsch.
I know both but I didn’t know the Topping.

OP
T

ThoFi

Listening to my Harbeth SHL5 + 40An (moderate 86dB sensitivity) with the A1.
Very, very nice!!

soundsmith

I replaced my LA90 with the SMSL VMV A1. With efficient speakers, used within it's limits, the A1 is a subjectively wonderful amp. It works well with Tang Band W8-1808 and Markaudio Alpair 11 MS single-driver speakers but not match with Starke IC-H2's. My VTV Purifi EVAL-1 + Black Ice Audio was too "clean" sounding with the single-driver speakers. The A1 added what is likely distortion and the sound was more pleasing to the ear.

My A1 was recently replaced with the Audial Model A integrated.
Hi Selkirks, thanks for your comments. I’m interested in what were the sonic differences between the VMVA1 and the Audial amps, that would be most interesting to hear, please. Have you experience of the Audial DAC as well?

Selkirks

Hi Selkirks, thanks for your comments. I’m interested in what were the sonic differences between the VMVA1 and the Audial amps, that would be most interesting to hear, please. Have you experience of the Audial DAC as well?

The Audial Model A has a nice balanced sound, it is very similar to the Topping LA90 I had last year (which I loved but it failed). Listening to the Audial I get the sense that nothing is being lost in the signal from the source. The VMV A1 would be subjectively described as "warmer" and "rich" sounding, very pleasant for the ears/brain. No experience with the DAC yet.

soundsmith

The Audial Model A has a nice balanced sound, it is very similar to the Topping LA90 I had last year (which I loved but it failed). Listening to the Audial I get the sense that nothing is being lost in the signal from the source. The VMV A1 would be subjectively described as "warmer" and "rich" sounding, very pleasant for the ears/brain. No experience with the DAC yet.
Very good, thanks.

Elgrosso

Really curious about this little guy, I’m fighting very hard my subjective double to not buy one to try.
I know there will probably not sound different than my current amps, but the idea is stuck.
What helps my objective side is that I would need two of them, so the price is hard to swallow.

soundsmith

Really curious about this little guy, I’m fighting very hard my subjective double to not buy one to try.
I know there will probably not sound different than my current amps, but the idea is stuck.
What helps my objective side is that I would need two of them, so the price is hard to swallow.
Someone said they are using two, one for each channel and remarked there was an improvement as one might expect due to separation. Graham Slee monos is another option, maybe slightly cheaper? I haven’t seen any comparisons between Slee’s and A1 unfortunately.

OP
T

ThoFi

I found some audio recordings of the SMSL A1 on YT.
very nice!

and comparison with a 225W SS class AB amp

soundsmith

Thanks Thofi for posting the videos. The Harbeths at around 86dB efficiency probably not ideal, FR with 91dB plus efficiency would be a better match I think as already mentioned by Selkirks. What were your thoughts?

OP
T

ThoFi

Thanks Thofi for posting the videos. The Harbeths at around 86dB efficiency probably not ideal, FR with 91dB plus efficiency would be a better match I think as already mentioned by Selkirks. What were your thoughts?

beside the sensitivity the impedance is important.
The Harbeth is rated at 6Ohm and didn’t go down very low. That helps.
The amount of need power also depends on the listening volume at your listening position, the distance to the speaker and how dynamic the music is. Also the room boots the “sensitivity „
I personally listen at 70dB average and I do not listen to symphonic music with lots of dynamics. (I assume +10dB of dynamic range in my case). This results in 80dB peaks at my listening position.
With 86dB sensitivity, that means the speaker is able to play 86dB at 1m with 1Watt…
+3dB you need 2xWatts
the dB drops depending on distance

Have a look at the crown power calculator

1675918880054.png

WolfHound

Wondering why SMSL state Class A POWER Amplifier when it is integrated amplifier...

Rather misleading...

Anybody try pre-amp Line Out to A1?
202105170937042192.jpg

Well, not really...A power amplifier doesn't have a preamp stage, or gain stage, nor volume control....
Let's say it is a volume-controlled-poweramp, or a 1-source-limited-integrated...;)

Peternz

No, let's just call a spade a spade and use the same terminology that has been commonly accepted over the past decades. A power amplifier can and often does have level controls. The A1 is called a power amplifier because it IS a power amplifier. Here is another power amplifier. You would have to be an idiot to insist that it is an integrated amplifier. (It even has a volume control for each channel!)
1693685880261.png

312elements

Any chance anyone knows the input impedance of the VMV A1?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if I would use two of these amps with only 1 speaker connected would power be doubled?
So the 2x10 watts could add up to 20 watts if I connect 1 speaker only? Or would it be just 1x10 watts?....
If the amplifiers are bridgeable, you could do that. Simply connecting one speaker to one terminal of each amp won’t increase the power output, however. The amp would need to be bridged, if that is indeed possible.

Top Bottom