• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Gene LeClair

I have a question about DPLL setting. Manual says:

- When the clock stability of the input signal is good, this value can be reduced, so that the clock performance of the system is better;

- When the clock stability of the input signal is not good, the sound may be interrupted. Increase this value can avoid the sound interruption!

I understand the latter but what does it mean when jitter in input is low, DPLL bandwidth can be reduced and „the clock performance of the system is better“ ? My understanding of DPLL bandwidth is it can be set to:

- low: lock range is small so input jitter has to be low, less of input noise but more of internal noise (vco etc) passed to output

- high: lock range is large so input jitter is OK to be large, more of input noise less of internal noise transferred to output

I understand if input is jittery, it should be high but if it has less jitter and if input (noise) is better than DAC, why making DPLL bandwidth low is a good thing ? Is it impossible for input to be better than DAC (because it is external) ? I am driving SU-9n with Gustard U18 which has a better internal clock, normally I would think since input is better than DAC, I should make DPLL bandwidth high to decrease the internal noise. I dont mean high as MAX setting, but why is it better to reduce it than lets say default ?
Post in thread 'SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread' https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-owners-thread.9547/post-482545

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

guenthi_r

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.
What is "warmer", "harsh" related to DAC´s?
Normally, this are human properties... :facepalm:

Cisco150

This is $340+free ship on Drop right now. Is there any reason not to get it? Plan on using it with midfield monitors and optical output from my LG CX in my home theater, so volume ramping is important.
Dame that is a great deal. Would like too know as well

Celty

I had been considering this DAC since it was reviewed by Amirm. Well, the $340 was just to good to pass up. Disclosure:

I ordered it from Apos who price matched Drop. I have always liked dealing with Apos :)

Now I have to decide whether to sell my SU-8 V2 and Monolith 887 or keep them for a bedroom set. They are still an excellent pairing.

Just reminded myself that the SU-9N tests 3rd - in practical terms like the D90SE - but at $340 vs. $899! Oh but I don't get MQA.. YAYY!

Last edited:

huggzymers

This is $340+free ship on Drop right now. Is there any reason not to get it? Plan on using it with midfield monitors and optical output from my LG CX in my home theater, so volume ramping is important.
Note, I'm seeing the Drop says estimated shipping from 1 April, I don't know if that's the date globally and probably not an issue for most people. But something to be aware of for those who require instant gratification.

Celty

Note, I'm seeing the Drop says estimated shipping from 1 April, I don't know if that's the date globally and probably not an issue for most people. But something to be aware of for those who require instant gratification.
Yup, hence why I price matched, much quicker..

UnderPar

Where is this deal? Shenzhenudio?

Celty

Hurrah, my Su-9N is on the way :)

RedCometZero

Got an SU-9n from Apos, so far I haven't found a single flaw using it with my THX 789+HD650, coming off of Khadas Tone Board. Internal volume ramping is the perfect speed for use as a preamp. Love that the default filter is a proper linear phase fast roll-off. Will be moving it to my home entertainment system soon, where I'll use it with the S/PDIF optical out from my LG CX and connect it to my JBL LS50s.

Tempted to get a second one to use with my headphone setup. The only negative I have found at all is that unlike my 789, it doesn't have an auto-off feature. Makes me worry somewhat about longevity. Perhaps this could be fixed with a firmware upgrade?

Celty

Got mine as well, albeit with some screw ups by USPS that caused some delay :) . So far I have not changed any settings other than enabling the timed screen off function.

Began by plugging into my Singxer SA-1 via XLR and USB for the input. I had a problem with sound cutting in and out intermittently. It took some installs of the latest SMSL driver to fix this. Since then has been working fine.

Sound quality has been excellent, so no complaints on that front. I may do some experimenting with some settings in the next few days.

TheFrator

Meant to say thanks for pointing out this deal. I was able to get Apos to price match even though I contacted them a day after this Drop deal expired. Got my SU-9n in the mail now :)

RandomEar

Just a small bit of info: I've had the SU-9n for a couple of days now. Setup was easy and the performance seems impeccable to me. My only gripe:
The IR transmitter on the remote is pointed slightly downward and the IR receiver seems to be rather directional. That means you have to aim somewhat decently to get it to register the remote commands. I suspect that this would be true for many SMSL devices using this remote (RC-8C).

EDIT: There's also a faint pop sound in my speakers (sensitivity around 87 dB) when the DAC is turned on/off, is being muted or any sound setting (filters, sound color, ...) is changed. I'm sure that this is normal to some degree, but I'm not quite sure my unit is within spec.

Last edited:
Top Bottom