• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

bgtip

How should I know if the device is up to date?
This is mine:
Image00001.jpg

tortoise

^
Mine says the same.

BTW, I freaking love it. I don't know if it's placebo or whatever, but I think it's noticeably more detailed than my Schiit Modi 3. I have it paired with my THX 887, fully balanced.

I think I'm good for a few years.

Toku

Major Contributor
How should I know if the device is up to date?
This is mine:
View attachment 87533
Is there something wrong with your SU-9 and you are expecting a firmware update?
Check SMSL's HP support to find out if there is a firmware update at any time.
The latest USB firmware is Ver 2.06. Your SU-9 is up to date.

tsilver2

someone can confirm this?
"I did notice coil whine coming from my unit. I tested from multiple different power outlets on different circuits with the same result. This isn’t something I’ve experienced from the vast majority of other sources I’ve tested so I would not think it due to my particular setup. Noise isn’t introduced into the actual sound output, but the whine coming from the device itself is irksome especially when listening to open-back headphones or earbuds and not what I would expect from a high-end source like this. SMSL engineers also confirmed this is normal behaviour of the switching power supply, but that the noise on my unit is at the higher end of normal." -- https://theheadphonelist.com/smsl-su-9-review-epiphany/

bgtip

Is there something wrong with your SU-9 and you are expecting a firmware update?
Check SMSL's HP support to find out if there is a firmware update at any time.
The latest USB firmware is Ver 2.06. Your SU-9 is up to date.
Thank you for the info. There is nothing wrong with my SU-9. I had to update my SU-8 on arrival, just wanted to be sure.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's the meaning of the fluctuating output impedance at high frequencies? I suppose it affects frequency response. Is it a common property of DACs?

Veri

Master Contributor
What's the meaning of the fluctuating output impedance at high frequencies? I suppose it affects frequency response. Is it a common property of DACs?
Good question but I think it's just the flat part that you should look at. Right @amirm ? Or is the fluctuation at the end more than an artifact.

CharlesC

Is there an audible difference from say, a D50s? About 10dB SINAD difference, and I guess MQA, for $180 :/
This is my question as well. I’m considering this upgrade because my hypex ams like XLR but I’m not sure what will be gained. More volume possibly?

makatech

someone can confirm this?
"I did notice coil whine coming from my unit. I tested from multiple different power outlets on different circuits with the same result. This isn’t something I’ve experienced from the vast majority of other sources I’ve tested so I would not think it due to my particular setup. Noise isn’t introduced into the actual sound output, but the whine coming from the device itself is irksome especially when listening to open-back headphones or earbuds and not what I would expect from a high-end source like this. SMSL engineers also confirmed this is normal behaviour of the switching power supply, but that the noise on my unit is at the higher end of normal." -- https://theheadphonelist.com/smsl-su-9-review-epiphany/

Hmmm, this is a very interesting post, I'm a bit surprised nobody is reacting or answering? I would also like to hear a comment from somebody owning the SU-9 about the coil whine.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Su-9, m400, or Topping D90 for stereo setup (amp + speakers + sub about US$11K)? Currently using node2i, which measured poorly by ASR. I am not liking the highs that much using node2i directly to amp.

loprent1

Will the Su-9 likely support an Apple Remote? Ben the SONCOZ SGD1 engineer is exploring adding that functionality which would be pretty nice.

gonzoznog

Hello. I just got this and I don't think the MQA feature is working correctly. This is supposedly a decoder which can do the 3rd unfold, but the SU-9 only displays 44.1 when I am playing MASTER MQA files on Tidal through PC. I think I saw something about this on a YouTube video, but can't recall who made the video. Anyways, wondering if this is affecting anyone else? If so, do you think SMSL will put out a firmware update to remedy this? It's one of the main reasons I bought this...

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello. I just got this and I don't think the MQA feature is working correctly. This is supposedly a decoder which can do the 3rd unfold, but the SU-9 only displays 44.1 when I am playing MASTER MQA files on Tidal through PC.
Are you using tidal exclusive mode? Max volume? The stream needs to be in tact if you want it to be recognised as MQA.

bgtip

Hmmm, this is a very interesting post, I'm a bit surprised nobody is reacting or answering? I would also like to hear a comment from somebody owning the SU-9 about the coil whine.
There is a distinct lack of coil whine from my SU-9. My power supply is UK type.

gonzoznog

I am now using Exclusive Mode and Max Volume. The DAC now says "MQA" but it also says "44.1kHz." Shouldn't it say 176.4 or 352.8? EDIT: And NO COIL WHINE!

makatech

@gonzoznog @bgtip

Thank you, yes this post was a bit confusing/concerning, especially with SMSL engineers confirming?
"SMSL engineers also confirmed this is normal behaviour of the switching power supply"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...balanced-dac-review.16150/page-15#post-539431

Conclusion: If it's true with no coil whine issue for SU-9 unit I find it very difficult to motivate Topping D90 MQA instead of this unit. Why paying more with really similar specs, I don't really get this (yet). Yes, different DAC chips but it's not like the ESS SABRE9038Pro is a bad chip, the AKM chip is hardly worth $360 more?

Since I am a Tidal Hifi user I would like the MQA functionality (and I don't care at all what people are writing about the MQA format, I try to trust my ears). Without MQA it's possible making much better deals though.

D90 having pre-amp functionality but I already have the A90 and it's also having pre-amp functionality, what's the difference between these? (I'm confused, inexperienced)

Last edited:

Patrice

Hi everybody,
I have a problem between a NODE 2i and a SMSL SU-9. The SU-9 only accept USB IN for the QMA, and there is not USB OUT on the NODE 2i, and I want to use the QMA ....
Is there anybody who have an answer?
Thanks

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a lot of great DACs out there but they are missing two things I'd like.

1) A trigger - to power on my amp
2) A one-amp 5 volt USB port - to power the Rasperry PI-3 that runs Dietpi for a Roon endpoint.

I have found that the R-PI 3A and 3B are reliably powered by a USB port with no under-voltage reports running DietPi.
DietPi Roon endpoint is responds in about 30 seconds when powered by the Oppo Sonica-DAC.

- Rich

Top Bottom