• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really? I feel like I might need the additional 8db of SINAD and integrated BT 5.0

Does ASR have a classifieds? Maybe someone needs this thing for $200.
You can get a new su8 for 200 though :p

ReaderZ

I remember my old pc audiocard EMU 1212M, it used to click when changing sample rates. I always loved that click, it seemed like smth inside the card was changing. It sounded better with that click.

I had that card too, I think you have to use different "strips" too?

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
It’s totally ok to keep SU-8 v2 and not sell it for SU-9

Not sure, thanks to the placebo effect I find the "Pro" ESS based DACs to easier to listen to than the mobile ones.

makatech

Hmm, what's the main/major differences between su-8 and su-9?

Bluetooth and MQA support while the DAC chip is the same?

The difference in price between Topping D90 MQA and SMSL SU-9 is more interesting and surprisingly big right now I would say ($360...). The Topping D90 MQA has to be really good for justifying this difference. Comparing to SMSL SU-8 obviously even bigger difference but not a fair comparison because SU-8 missing in features comparing to both D90 MQA and SU-9.

I am fully aware of D90 is having another DAC chip though, I have no idea if this is better or preferable than the one SMSL SU-9 (and SU-8?) is using though, probably a matter of taste with subtle/minor differences?

Last edited:

ninetylol

Hmm, what's the main/major differences between su-8 and su-9?

Bluetooth and MQA support while the DAC chip is the same?

The difference in price between Topping D90 MQA and SMSL SU-9 is more interesting and surprisingly big right now I would say ($360...). The Topping D90 MQA has to be really good for justifying this difference. Comparing to SMSL SU-8 obviously even bigger difference but not a fair comparison because SU-8 missing in features comparing to both D90 MQA and SU-9.

I am fully aware of D90 is having another DAC chip though, I have no idea if this is better or preferable than the one SMSL SU-9 (and SU-8?) is using though, probably a matter of taste with subtle/minor differences?
Smsl su-9 uses another Chip (the Pro one). Also MQA for those who want it. But Yeah value is better on the 8

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have no idea if this is better or preferable than the one SMSL SU-9 (and SU-8?) is using though, probably a matter of taste with subtle/minor differences?

None that would be audible.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Are there any substantive differences between the Sabre chipset in the SU-8 v2 and the “Pro” chipset in the SU-9?

Veri

Master Contributor
Are there any substantive differences between the Sabre chipset in the SU-8 v2 and the “Pro” chipset in the SU-9?
Possibility of cleaner SINAD/distortion specs if implemented well (as is the case here). The case on audibility would say they probably sound the exact same. But on paper the 9038Pro will win if you want the "best".. :)

gvl

Major Contributor

Not that we saw in measurements, the Pro based DACs tend to have lower THD at higher frequencies, but the differences should be inaudible.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Since we’re already discussing these ESS based DACs, can anyone comment on the 7 “preset” filters that you can select from on these units? Is there one preset that’s considered “reference” or baseline that should be selected?

gvl

Major Contributor
I wasn't joking when I mentioned that I prefer the sound from the Pro based DACs over the mobile version, but at the same time they sound pretty much the same even in sighted AB switching, so it's likely the placebo effect in action but having gone through, 3 9038 mobile chip DACs and 2 Pro ones, the overall mental impression I'm left with the mobile ones they sound a bit less refined.

gvl

Major Contributor
Since we’re already discussing these ESS based DACs, can anyone comment on the 7 “preset” filters that you can select from on these units? Is there one preset that’s considered “reference” or baseline that should be selected?

I tried many times and can't discern any differences between them. I can't hear above 15kHz, that's likely why. I set it to Fast Linear and forget, technically it's the correct filter to use.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I’ll check that out, thank you!

KNUPAC

should i get this over topping d90 knowing that i already owned topping d70? will i get a significant audible upgrade?

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I tried many times and can't discern any differences between them. I can't hear above 15kHz, that's likely why. I set it to Fast Linear and forget, technically it's the correct filter to use.

Can someone address this Reddit post on this subject.. is this guy right? I’m not an EE and honestly don’t know. This person claims anything besides brick wall is wrong wrong wrong.

Attachments

• 65B30864-3D8F-43E8-A030-78F2A7CF3377.jpeg
    65B30864-3D8F-43E8-A030-78F2A7CF3377.jpeg
    761.7 KB · Views: 477
Top Bottom