• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, this DAC is $360 less (?!) then the D90 MQA but how does it compare?
Read the two reviews and you might well find out.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everybody,
I have a problem between a NODE 2i and a SMSL SU-9. The SU-9 only accept USB IN for the QMA, and there is not USB OUT on the NODE 2i, and I want to use the QMA ....
Is there anybody who have an answer?
Thanks

The Node won't pass full mqa out full stop, even if it had usb out.

Patrice

The Node won't pass full mqa out full stop, even if it had usb out.

But in the parameters / Audio of the NODE 2i, there is a ligne with ''DAC externe MQA'' at OFF, I understand that if there is a compatble DAC connected, it could be at ON !?

makatech

Read the two reviews and you might well find out.

I don't find any major differences except from D90 having pre-amp functionality. They also use different DAC chips but both obviously measuring really well?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't find any major differences except from D90 having pre-amp functionality. They also use different DAC chips but both obviously measuring really well?
They both have variable volumes, so both have "pre amp" functionality. Mqa as standard for the smsl.

If I was looking, I'd not see the extra $ value of the D90.

makatech

They both have variable volumes, so both have "pre amp" functionality. Mqa as standard for the smsl.

If I was looking, I'd not see the extra $ value of the D90.

Thanks, I'm still a bit confused about the differences in pre-amp functionality. Topping A90 having pre-amp functionality as well, right?

If connecting a A90/D90 stack (or a A90/SU-9 stack) to an active monitor then it's best doing it using the XLR outs on the A90 and enabling pre-amp mode on the A90 (but not on the DAC), right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I'm still a bit confused about the differences in pre-amp functionality. Topping A90 having pre-amp functionality as well, right?

If connecting a A90/D90 stack (or a A90/SU-9 stack) to an active monitor then it's best doing it using the XLR outs on the A90 and enabling pre-amp mode on the A90 (but not on the DAC), right?
Don't confuse dac "pre amp" modes (mostly just controlling the output volume of the dac) with what most would call a "true" pre amp which would both allow switching between inputs and controlling the analog volume out to a power amp.

tortoise

This depends on the song you are listening to. Try different tracks/albums.

I can confirm that different albums show different numbers there with the SU-9. I've seen 44.1, 48, and 96 in MQA mode, with exclusive mode, force volume, and passthrough switched on. There is also either a green or blue dot displayed. The manual talks about the difference between green or blue but I forgot what it said.

EDIT: Here is a list of albums according to the sampling rate: http://www.meridianunplugged.com/downloads/MQA_List.csv

I played some that are 352.8 and that's what the SU-9 displays.

Last edited:

Machinistnl

I can confirm that different albums show different numbers there with the SU-9. I've seen 44.1, 48, and 96 in MQA mode, with exclusive mode, force volume, and passthrough switched on. There is also either a green or blue dot displayed. The manual talks about the difference between green or blue but I forgot what it said.

EDIT: Here is a list of albums according to the sampling rate: http://www.meridianunplugged.com/downloads/MQA_List.csv

I played some that are 352.8 and that's what the SU-9 displays.

I’m on the fence to buy the SU-9, it would replace a Pro-Ject Pre S2. I am streaming towards it by means of a RPI4 running Ropieee, connected to a Roon Rock. At first I had drops of the MQA unfold, simply switching to whatever for a second and then get back to MQA as I could see that on the display with the same type of bitrates you describe. Renderer is MQA purple. Decoder is MQA blue.

The setting of the Pro-Ject was initially (within Roon) Decoder and Renderer, then I set it to Renderer only and the hiccups are gone, but it doesn’t sit well with me. On the screen of the Pro-Ject it will say 352K, but in the screenshot I see something else.

Really curious if the SU-9 would have the same.

Renderer:
E6CA065E-E383-41A6-8416-8224C6573DD5.jpeg

Decoder:
58C96A49-443B-4710-B8E1-5CB54F85E0E4.jpeg

Last edited:

nj75f

A question: Smsl m400, topping d90 or gustard a18 are using two accusilicon femto seconds clock.
The SU-9 is not.
Does this have any relevance for performance or reliability?
The pictures of su-9, m400 and D90 internals. SU9 looks a little bit less packed than m400, but definitely less than d90.
su9.png

m400.jpg

d90.jpg
They measure mostly the same. Why implement something that costs more money but results in the same?
Or is the smsl approach not as reliable?

Veri

Master Contributor
A question: Smsl m400, topping d90 or gustard a18 are using two accusilicon femto seconds clock.
The SU-9 is not.
Does this have any relevance for performance or reliability?
The pictures of su-9, m400 and D90 internals. SU9 looks a little bit less packed than m400, but definitely less than d90.
They measure mostly the same. Why implement something that costs more money but results in the same?
Or is the smsl approach not as reliable?
I think it rather proves those Accusilicon clocks are total overkill for an ESS DAC that already incorporates all kinds of DPLL/De-jitter technology. That, and SMSL is probably using cheaper but still high quality clocks. Accusilicon isn't the end-all.

Dingenus

This is a review and detailed measurements of the brand new SMSL SU-9 Balanced USB DAC. It was kindly sent to me by one of their distributors, Shenzhenaudio. The SU-9 will be released September 30th and will cost US $439.99.

The SU-9 has a simpler but in my opinion more elegant look than previous SMSL DACs:

View attachment 84224

The display is now larger and courtesy of its fine resolution, nice to look at. The rotary control lets you navigate the menus by pressing and rotating. Alas, I could not figure out how to get out of the menus and had to wait for it to time out. Perhaps there is a way but not having read the manual, I did not know how. :) There is a remote of course which would make this simpler.

Back panel is what you expect in this class DAC plus addition of Bluetooth:

View attachment 84225

Power supply is included of course eliminating the external bricks that come with lower cost DACs. And of course balanced XLR output which I highly encourage for computer connected DACs.

DAC Audio Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard view:

View attachment 84226

Wow! Another DAC nearly maxing out the distortion+noise meter in my analyzer! The SINAD of 120 dB puts the SU-9 way up there in rankings:
View attachment 84227

Zooming in:

View attachment 84228

Note that the SU-9 is capable of output above 4 volts which is nice. To show the performance at other output levels, I ran a sweep:

View attachment 84229

Since the SINAD measurement is noise limited (distortion alone is at 130 dB SINAD), having the output higher helps improve it as you see it in the above graph.

IMD distortion versus level shows excellent performance:

View attachment 84230

Our old friend the "ESS IMD Hump" is still there but 90% suppressed.

Linearity which is a measure of accuracy is perfect:

View attachment 84231

Jitter over USB is non-existent:
View attachment 84232

There is a digital PLL that helps reduce jitter but since there is none with USB input, it makes no difference. It however helps with Toslink jitter:
View attachment 84233

There may be a latency penalty though so if you are using Toslink for TV sound input, you may need to play with that. Fortunately the jitter that was there with default setting was not an audible concern anyway (at -120 dB and heavily masked by the signal itself).

Lots of filters are provided for any taste (imagined or otherwise):
View attachment 84235

I like that there is a proper brickwall filter. I used that for the following test:

View attachment 84236

There is some frequency dependency here. I ran an FFT (not shown) and it showed that to be "imaging" components that were changing way up in frequency so not an audible issue.

Finally, multitone test showed how low the distortion is in SU-9 DAC:

View attachment 84237

EDIT: forgot to include the dynamic range in the original review:
View attachment 84556

And output impedance versus frequency:
RCA:

View attachment 84558

XLR:

View attachment 84559
Be sure your amplifier has an input impedance above 3.7k Ohm (10 to 1 ratio) for XLR output and half and 1.3 k for RCA.

Conclusions
Looks like we started a trend to achieve perfection in desktop DACs and the SMSL SU-9 is yet another example of that. We have another great "instrument grade" DAC on our hands providing absolute transparency to the source beyond any threshold of human hearing. If you are hearing issues I suggest you either have your hearing examined, or learn to do a proper controlled test. Either way, what you hear is what is on your recording. Guaranteed!

It is my pleasure to highly recommend the SMSL SU-9. Great job.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I explained last night that I poked my palm last night trying to take the core out of Asian Pears in order to dry them. I swore I would not do any more but then I tasted the results this morning. Ah, they were fantastic! Sweet, full of pear flavor and all fit in a nice jar taking a fraction of space to store. So I dragged the bucket of pears out of the garage and prepared another batch to dry:

View attachment 84239

Despite filling 8 stacks I hardly made a dent in all the pears we have. And we have yet to pick the pears from two of trees!

Dehydrating uses electricity and while our rates are some of the lowest in the nation/world, it is not free. So appreciate some good sized donations to pay for it using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi Amir, hi anybody, my first post here after following this forum for a year.

"Be sure your amplifier has an input impedance above 3.7k Ohm (10 to 1 ratio) for XLR output and half and 1.3 k for RCA."

Does this mean that a Topping L30 is not a good amp to use with this dac? Or do I read the specs of the L30 wrong?

Reg.Dingenus

makatech

Hi Amir, hi anybody, my first post here after following this forum for a year.

"Be sure your amplifier has an input impedance above 3.7k Ohm (10 to 1 ratio) for XLR output and half and 1.3 k for RCA."

Does this mean that a Topping L30 is not a good amp to use with this dac? Or do I read the specs of the L30 wrong?

Reg.Dingenus

Wondering the same for Topping A90.

wilbur1

Just a warning on this unit folks - I got mine this week and it has a MAJOR problem: I have it connected up via USB to my computer, as well as via coax to a CD player. Currently it is on the usb input and plays fine, BUT, if left on that input for a while (especially if the computer goes into sleep/standby mode), while it still plays fine on usb, I can't change the input to anything else. I can't access the menus, can't even turn the thing off as the unit will not respond to the remote AT ALL (yes, I have tried the quirky 'press the 'C' button first' thing this requires on startup - nothing). The only thing to do is to pull out the power cord, and even that doesn't work, per se, as it needs to be powered off for a full hour before it returns to normal on re-powering on. So, my unit is either defective, or there is a fatal flaw in the design of the SU-9. So far no response from Apos support for this issue, so buyer-be-warned, if this is NOT unique to my unit there is no way anyone who needs to use more than one input should consider buying this, no-matter what it sounds like!

wilbur1

I BELIEVE I have solved the issue to which I referred earlier: the dysfunction of the SU-9 manifested by the unit not being able to communicate with its own remote, rendering it useless. It seems this is a heat-related issue. I had it mounted on top of a pre-amp that produced moderate heat. Combined with its own heat, the unit becomes less and less functional the longer the heat is allowed to accumulate. It does not effect the DAC itself in terms of it being able to play on the input to which it is currently set, but it does effect the ability of the unit to respond to its remote, which is the only way to power it on or off, as well as to perform input changes, or subtle filter changes. When the SU-9 starts to get hot, the remote becomes partially dysfunctional: you have to press a given key on multiple occasions to effect the desired result. When the unit becomes REALLY hot (almost too hot to touch), then the dysfunction is complete. No changes to its current state are possible.
So, be careful where this is physically housed in your system! I am short on space, but now have it where it is not in contact with anything else and the problem is seemingly fixed.

CrystalGipsy

Hi new on here and looking for some advice. Just got a SMSL SU9 it's currently feeding a Pi4 into and the DAC feeds s Schiit Magni 3 Heresy obviously single ended.

I am finding the sound quality of the DAC extremely bass bloated, vocals are distant in the mix overall t's really not very neutral at all, it also seems to be distorting a little too in the low frequencies. I have not had any issues with previous DAC Ifi Nano iDSD BL feeding the same amp.

I am using the SU9 in fixed mode and I have tried lowering it by not using fixed but it still sounds off. Comparing it with the Ifi Nano iDSD BL it's replacing this device really sounds dreadful. Is there something I need to do or is this unit likely faulty? I tried changing the sound colour and to my ears I can hear no difference between any of the modes.I read the are subtle but surely I should detect some change? This makes me think this unit is not right it's not getting my toes tapping any more.

Top Bottom