• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

mrjayviper

does anybody know if this DAC has the PLL setting so that "lower quality SPDIF/optical" can be used?

EAXAE

Has anyone solved the problem with SU-8 not connected\visible via USB with "Unlock" status instead of sample rate?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The manual says there are 9 settings for different sound colors (not dac filters related) that changes the 2nd and 3rd harmonics, has anyone tried that?

How do I change those settings? Thanks.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The manual says there are 9 settings for different sound colors (not dac filters related) that changes the 2nd and 3rd harmonics, has anyone tried that?

There's an option in the menu to change these, just have a poke around. Best to listen for yourself rather than have comments from others prejudice what you think.

I just used this as a straight DAC. I could not hear any difference what so ever with the setting. Leave them as not used.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's an option in the menu to change these, just have a poke around. Best to listen for yourself rather than have comments from others prejudice what you think.
Thank you, the menu isn't easy to navigate but found it eventually and then I realized (when I saw that part of the menu and the settings) I had actually tried those settings before. Just haven't used the SU-8 for ages because I have so many dacs; and when I read the manual it does not show which menu page it is in, it just says it has the feature.

Ultrasonic

Thank you, the menu isn't easy to navigate but found it eventually and then I realized (when I saw that part of the menu and the settings) I had actually tried those settings before. Just haven't used the SU-8 for ages because I have so many dacs; and when I read the manual it does not show which menu page it is in, it just says it has the feature.
I haven't used mine for ages either. I really should have sold it by now but I am useless at getting round to such things!

djigibao

Just a quick question.
When the SMSL is connected to the int. amplifier (used only as a DAC), should the volume be set to max or maybe a little less?
As far as I can see SMSL has no fixed volume output.

Thank you

EAXAE

Has anyone solved the problem with SU-8 not connected\visible via USB with "Unlock" status instead of sample rate?
Solution:
USB controller (part number XU208-128-TQ64-C10) is dead, you'll have to replace it. The repair costed me about $50.

Oukkidoukki

Had an intresting evening. I have Rme adi 2 fs, this is scaled down studio version, no usb input. Only optical n coax. I also have su 8. First I played qobuz in ipad. Sent signal to chromecast audio and from there to Rme. Fine. Then I played qobuz in pc , usb to focusrite soundcard box and from there to Rme via coax. Fine. Then ipad to focusrite via usb and then to Rme. Fine. And then from ipad via usb to su 8. And you know what, su 8 was best. It is great dac. Used fast hybrid and original.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Not sure to understand everything, but yes, it's a great DAC. I started with this simple thing after I discovered ASR and then sold all my expansive equipment.

Oukkidoukki

I am sure Rme takes the fight to next level when I get usb optical conversion box. That focusrite scarlet box probably sucking badly in between. But still I was suprised. Su is great.

Freeform

Having swapped a couple of other DACs I had lying around, I had thought the limiting factor was the pair of aged active nearfield monitor Tannoy S600As of my second system, because I heard little difference beteen them and so was not motivated to make a controlled comparison.

Then I picked up a SU-8 used via eBay, both to sample cheaply one of these well-measuring affordable DACs, and to give me three digital inputs. I was surprised to find SU-8 a big step up. I have not yet tried it through my much more revealing primary system.

I have not found any of the problems others have reported. I do have many files of different sample rates and formats but I usually select one album at a time so perhaps that is why I notice no pops or clicks.

A minor issue is, on usb input from my PC, the display fleetingly shows the set output sample rate before reverting to reporting "44.1k". I know that the PC output, from foobar2000 via the driver on WASAPI, matches the PCM or DSD file's native sample rate, and I am familiar enough with foobar's output settings so I am surprised at this apparent misreporting. I appreciate also that the DAC itself is a dumb unit and so unable to downsample. Further, it is clear with DSD, foobar volume control does not work - so confirming that it is outputting DSD, and the Windows level control does nothing - showing WASAPI is bypassing Windows. I must try with another PC...

Loftrocket

Hello community!
Does it still going strong in 20024? Wanna upgrade my old SMSL M3, that i use with Android phone to listen flacs via vintage amp and speakers, also through small Xduoo 602 HP amp.
Looking at this SMSL SU-8 and SU-1. Will be there a noticeable difference / worthy upgrade? And which one is definitely a better choice?

JRG123

Hello community!
Does it still going strong in 20024? Wanna upgrade my old SMSL M3, that i use with Android phone to listen flacs via vintage amp and speakers, also through small Xduoo 602 HP amp.
Looking at this SMSL SU-8 and SU-1. Will be there a noticeable difference / worthy upgrade? And which one is definitely a better choice?
Get the SU-8 only if you need XLR outputs and remote control

Top Bottom