• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

djigibao

Apologies if this question has already been asked or has already been answered.
Can it be used as a DAC only with a fixed volume or must the volume be increased to max?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can it be used as a DAC only with a fixed volume or must the volume be increased to max?
The latter

Shane D

Forum Donor
The adjustable volume is great if you have an amp with high gain. Think Liquid Platinum or the new XDuoo MT series of amps.

Without having to read through all of the posts, I'm setting up my monitors and would like to know what to set my speakers sensitivity for the XLS output please. The options I have on the speakers is (Analogue input sensitivity) :-

0 dBu
+4 dBu
+18 dBu
+24 dBu

I do hope this is a simple question that does not raise lot's of additional questions to be able to answer :)

Thanks in Advance. Paul.

Shiva

I assume you meant using the XLR outputs of the DAC. I would say, use the +4 option on your monitors.

Yes, I did mean the XLR outputs.

I was originally set at +18dBu. I've set to +4 dBu and the sound sounds, err, well, 'crisper'. I've had to turn the max sound level down to 96db as my monitors were too loud when the output from my Mac mini M1 was at 25% !!

I'm running them into Dynaudio Core 7's.

Shiva

The 10th anniversary edition is the version 2 model. Amir tested it and it showed better than the older version, which prompted me to buy one soon after his review appeared.

To be honest, I didn't buy it for HiFi use, I have a Trinnov and they did a software update that gave you +4 output channels ( home theatre ) to 20 channels but you needed to provide your own DAC's. It was a bit of a lucky dip. However, the only thing I don't like is the it allows these additional 'filters' that, well, I don't want so switch them off.

SMSL SU-8 Now sold and I've got an AES converter for £50. Straight into the back of the Dynaudio Core's then the Sub. Simple, effective and I can say goodbye to having to even think about external DAC's. Phew !

mrjayviper

Hi everyone, does this volume control? My gustard with ESS chips has a built-in volume control. Thank you

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The SU-8S has the volume control on the device though. And that is the more recent one. They are not the same (as in this topic is not for the more recent 8S).

Top Bottom