• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Okay, so Patrik1958....how does it compares? I assume he has su 8?
No i don't own the SU 8.
What i can say is that over several years i had quit a number of dacs, only twice did i have a wow feeling and goose bumps listening to them first time.
That was with the Audioengine D1 and the Gustard X20 pro.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
F yeah, thats what we are looking for.....goose bumps....that is the sign of good dac. Gustard got my attention even thru youtube, at once I knew it was something special.......steals your attention.....been wanting it long time....then came these really cheap ones......been investigating but still in doubt how they match

motorider

Will this DAC work with my google pixel 2 xl? It only has usb audio output and I am not sure how it works vs a PC with drivers. I am looking at this DAC vs the Khadas tone board. The big difference is the tone board does not have optical input and I would have to convert from optical to s/pdif. I will be using the DAC with my xbox one x for all of my media needs and from my phone for music.

So, khadas tone board for $100 and a tosslink to s/pdif adapter for $20
or SMSL 8u v2 for $200 on massdrop.

I will be powering the JDS labs atom headphone amplifier.

Oukkidoukki

I have smsl sanskrit pro.....if this is the same , it works with 2xl....I put usb cable between phone and dac, otg on from phone...working. Also you could get apt-x bluetooth receiver.....wirelessly from phone cd level audio to dac.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I NEVER stated these are good dac. In fact the only measurement was the height of the goose bumps. Please read before commenting !!!

"Measurement was the height of the goose bumps"? Ok M8, whatever rocks your boat.. ;)

Oukkidoukki

All I know is I don’t get goose pumps from this ;)......it could be music or rec device, but I def hear much better detail , finesse, and separation in x20pro youtubevideos..

graz_lag

Major Contributor
That is the sign you feel chilled ...

Or maybe just sexual arousal ...

1545860048201.png

Krunok

Major Contributor
All I know is I don’t get goose pumps from this ;)......it could be music or rec device, but I def hear much better detail , finesse, and separation in x20pro youtubevideos..

If you would listen to both DACs without knowing which one you are listening you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It's a simple truth and yet so many folks don't seem to get it.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
If you would listen to both DACs without knowing which one you are listening you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It's a simple truth and yet so many folks don't seem to get it.
Maybe we should all stop buying Chevrolet, Mercedes, Chrysler, BMW etc.... they all are as good at bringing us from point A to point B like a cheap russian Lada of japanese Honda.
Just like any cheap dac will bring sound from point A (computer) to Dac to speakers/headphones.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Oukkidoukki

I believe that. But like patrick1958 said....he has heard many dacs but only 2 gave goose pumps.....so there is something...........but I hear you.....I have original rme adi 2 from 2004 and smsl sanskrit pro with akm 4490.....difference is quite small, sometimes hard to hear, but its there.......when you play loud you hear it........you can go loud with sanskrit and still soft as pillow , no distortion, not so with rme........only problem it doesnt have balanced out........I need that to active speakers......thru rme balanced sound is more deep 3d , soundstage is stellar, just more wow.....its alive like somekind of breathing animal, breathtaking...........balanced out of rme came wow after getting vovox xlr cables....cheap ones was just ok....i dont wanna bring cable fight to this, just saying....and not sales man, just saying.......this is why i am lusting over balanced dac

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
One cannot avoid to simply trust his ears ... Don't forget that after all, there is a human being with his own ears, in the feedback loop ... ;)

What constitutes "good value for money sound" differs widely among us ...
It's all a matter of choice, personal preference, and perception.
No one knocks you for buying a 2,000 EUR TV set ... but if you buy a 1,000 EUR DAC - you're viewed as ......... :eek:

Top Bottom