• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Tatteredmidnight

I ordered this DAC to be used with my THX AAA 789. My question is what volume should I set the DAC to when listening as it doesn't seem to have a line out/fixed output?
Thanks for the help!

I would confirm which version of the SU-8 I had. If its v2 (board v1.2, software v1.3) I would leave the volume on the SU-8 maxed, for v1.1, you could perform the mod and do the same, or leave the DAC at -6db. For v1, you probably just want to leave your output at -6db as well.

Last edited:

GGekko

I would confirm which version of the SU-8 I had. If its v2 (board v1.2, software v1.3) I would leave the volume on the SU-8 maxed, for v1.1, you could perform the mod and do the same, or leave the DAC at -6db. For v1, you probably just want to leave yhr output at 6db as well.
Ok, thanks! I just ordered it on Amazon, let's see which version I end up with :p

jackenhack

Forum Donor
Well, I just had to order one of these units as well. Must have (for no reasonable reason) balanced inputs to my THX amp. @amirm should get a massive kickback for all the stuff I bought. But there's an old Swedish saying, "there are no shortcuts to the perfect sound." It's from a sketch about audiophiles on Swedish television.

Veri

Master Contributor
Well, I just had to order one of these units as well. Must have (for no reasonable reason) balanced inputs to my THX amp. @amirm should get a massive kickback for all the stuff I bought. But there's an old Swedish saying, "there are no shortcuts to the perfect sound." It's from a sketch about audiophiles on Swedish television.
One of us, one of us

jackenhack

Forum Donor
I emailed Shenzhen audio and they said they sent the V2 units to the Amazon warehouse in the UK. I ordered one and got a V2 (shows 1.3 at startup). Thanks for this re-review!

Interesting! Hopefully, they send out all their orders within Europe from the UK. No tax and import fees.

EDIT: I see that you ordered from Amazon. I ordered from Shenzhen's homepage. So it's probably going to be a long wait.

svenz

Yes, I ordered from Amazon (yesterday, got it today). I imagine they sent V2 units to the other EU amazon warehouses as well, but I didn't ask.

svenz

If the SU-8 had good linearity on its RCA outputs, it would be the perfect DAC I think. The D50 manages 20 bits out on RCA (the only area it beats the SU-8, afaict). Any ideas why SU-8 has issues w/ linearity?

Krunok

Major Contributor
If the SU-8 had good linearity on its RCA outputs, it would be the perfect DAC I think. The D50 manages 20 bits out on RCA (the only area it beats the SU-8, afaict). Any ideas why SU-8 has issues w/ linearity?

Issues with linearity..?!? :facepalm:

17 bits (100dB) is not something you can call any kind if issue, at least not with RBCD content.

svenz

Issues with linearity..?!? :facepalm:

17 bits (100dB) is not something you can call any kind if issue, at least not with RBCD content.

Poor choice of words :D. Relative to the D50, I mean. I'm just curious about it.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Poor choice of words :D. Relative to the D50, I mean. I'm just curious about it.

As long as DAC has 16 bits of linearity you don't have to worry about that.

Regarding linearity measurement, @amirm never showed how that measurement relates to other measurements, say THD at low level or whichever other.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Currently, on eBay you have got 2 type of listings :

Listing for the V1.2 @ 177 EUR or so
Listing for the V2.0 @ 210 EUR or so ...

@amirm upgraded PCB tested unit was marked with V1.2 ... although the review's title is Version 2 ...

How one should understand this ? :oops:
The SU-8 has disappeared from the SMSL's web site so no details can be obtained from that source ...

Veri

Master Contributor
Currently, on eBay you have got 2 type of listings :

Listing for the V1.2 @ 177 EUR or so
Listing for the V2.0 @ 210 EUR or so ...

@amirm upgraded PCB tested unit was marked with V1.2 ... although the review's title is Version 2 ...

How one should understand this ? :oops:
The SU-8 has disappeared from the SMSL's web site so no details can be obtained from that source ...

See

I emailed Shenzhen audio and they said they sent the V2 units to the Amazon warehouse in the UK. I ordered one and got a V2 (shows 1.3 at startup). Thanks for this re-review!

"V2" is actually ver. 1.3 :)

HKmember

The way to know the version of your SU-8.
No need to open it.
Press and hold the machine button and plug in electricity, the machine will be set up in factory setup, the software version number will be displayed on the display,if the software version V1.3 is the newest,
Bought mine on 11.11 for RMB1059 approx US$158, shipping included
Used this method to confirm my version is V1.2
Bought SU-8 to replace M8......soundwise SU-8 is far better all round, in particular with much deeper bass

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does somebody here own this and maybe rme adi dac or gustard x20pro or benchmark dac 1 or something pro like those......how this compares? 3d, soundstage, wide/open? Some revwievs said not so 3d etc....and some youtube videos didnt convince me.....I need balanced and crystal clear like adi 2.....price 300€......also, does this brake a lot...dont wanna return after 2 months....must work 10years! Smsl mandy, is this rme level?

Top Bottom