• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm I currently have a Douk Audio P1 which has bluetooth which has failed. I'm going to get it reimbursed. Do you think the SU-6 is superior to the Douk?
I had the Douk P1 for a while and really liked it. I thought the headphone out was very good, very decent preamp too. I didn't use the BT much. Another option which I currently own is the Aiyima T6 Pro which is also quite decent. The BT on the T6 is very good, better overall sound than the BT on the P1, cleaner.

Toph17

The advantage of the Douk will also be its tubes which apparently brings a little sweetness. I'm afraid that smsl or another brand will provide a flatter, drier sound.

Veri

Master Contributor
The advantage of the Douk will also be its tubes which apparently brings a little sweetness. I'm afraid that smsl or another brand will provide a flatter, drier sound.
Pepper and sugar belongs in the kitchen, not on a science-driven auto forum lol.

Toph17

I received the SMSL SU-6 yesterday. The finish of this small case is perfect and pleasant to the touch.

I test it with 2 different amps in LDAC and optical. A Nad C316bee (rather recent) and a 40-year-old goat, a Technics SU-Z15! At the moment, I much prefer the old Technics! The combination is perfect and the sound is magnificent! More openness, spatialization, full of crystalline details, beautiful bass and a very well maintained midrange. Frankly I am amazed by the smsl and this association with the Technics. Sorry for the Google translation. To be continued...

linuxfan

I have a Huawei P30. I think it does LDAC but I'm not sure it's not easy to find info on the net.
The LDAC bluetooth codec is included in the Android Open Source Project, so it's just a question of whether individual hardware vendors choose to make it available.
According to this website, the Huawei P30 supports LDAC -
https://www.quora.com/What-phones-support-LDAC-Bluetooth-codec

But I think you may need to get into the Android settings to activate LDAC. Instructions here -
https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/...ivate-ldac-on-your-smartphone-in-5-easy-steps

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The LDAC bluetooth codec is included in the Android Open Source Project, so it's just a question of whether individual hardware vendors choose to make it available.
According to this website, the Huawei P30 supports LDAC -
https://www.quora.com/What-phones-support-LDAC-Bluetooth-codec

But I think you may need to get into the Android settings to activate LDAC. Instructions here -
https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/...ivate-ldac-on-your-smartphone-in-5-easy-steps
There are many devices running basically AOSP from chinese vendors that support LDAC. So it makes sense that the codec is included because I don't think any of those companies even know how to include something. Usually if LDAC isn't enabled it has to be done through the developer menu.

Solist

How is the longevity with this DAC? I am about to order one, but amazon has mixed reviews. They seem to stop working after 1 year.

Also, does the BT hold well, or it interrupts often? Planning to connect it via smartphone.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is the longevity with this DAC? I am about to order one, but amazon has mixed reviews. They seem to stop working after 1 year.

Also, does the BT hold well, or it interrupts often? Planning to connect it via smartphone.
No issues w mine on either front. I have two.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Mine developed low level distortion after 13 months. After multiple frustrating email exchanges stretching over weeks I finally got approval to get it fixed. But that would require shipping it to China and consequent risks (of disappearing in customs, of not being properly fixed, etc.) No thanks. I couldn't sell it in that condition, and I popped it open to take a look, nothing obvious that I could fix myself, so I donated it to a friend.

nsfgp

Mine developed low level distortion after 13 months. After multiple frustrating email exchanges stretching over weeks I finally got approval to get it fixed. But that would require shipping it to China and consequent risks (of disappearing in customs, of not being properly fixed, etc.) No thanks. I couldn't sell it in that condition, and I popped it open to take a look, nothing obvious that I could fix myself, so I donated it to a friend.
Any chance you have 2.4g wifi router band turned on? Try removing the BT antenna if you do not use BT. May help.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't use BT and never had the antenna connected. When the problem developed I tested it in several different ways, all showed 2nd harmonic at -55 to -60 dB, on all inputs (USB, coax, toslink) and all sample rates. When it was new it measured clean to well below -90 dB. Even order distortion like this suggests it developed a +/- wave asymmetry of some kind.

prnkd_plsv

Hi, I have a question and maybe on of you guys know.

I've bought the SMSL SU-6 half a year ago, and been using it very happily!!
Thing is, the screen automatically shuts of (DAC still works) after a couple of seconds after turning it on/changing channels.
Didn't do this when I first got it, is this just a setting or normal behaviour? Does anyone else have this experience?

Thanks in advance, and sound wise it works very well with my DT770 so still happy!

Top Bottom