• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am looking at SU-6 for streaming by phone to my system (Yamaha amp).
I read about troubles with the USB connection to phones BUT I know you should always use USB OTG for phones. Am I wrong ?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Any chance the initial 3 dB Sinad imbalance between channels was corrected or is something random?!

Paspolc

hi everyone, in case I wanted to update the dac drivers, could you explain me step by step how to do it?

Thanks to all.

Fraxo

Phase lock loop, it is to lower jitter. DPLL (min) has Max jitter suppression but has a harder time to lock onto signal. It's a trade-off, a noisier digital input might not play nice with max PLL setting. So it's nice that you can play with it in the UI..
What do you mean by "lock on"?
What would be the artifacts of it struggling to do so?

Fraxo

Dropouts or no sound.
While you're here, may I ask a few questions?

By linking Focusrite 8i6 via SPDIF cable (from it's output) into to Topping DX3+'s input, would I be utilizing the Focusrite's DAC (and VXCO) or completely bypassing it?
Would there be a jitter\noise\other quality differences if I use the Topping directly via USB vs being linked to the Focusrite?
And in general, does any of these devices have PLL?

I'd appreciate if someone could verbally illustrate what happens to those 0's and 1's from their initial state on my laptop, all the way up the mentioned chain and into my ears so I'll learn the order of processes. I think I get most of but not sure.

Thanks a lot for taking the time either way, ik this might be a lot.

gvl

Major Contributor
USB tends to produce lower jitter but even over SPDIF it’s so low so it doesn’t typically matter.

Unclear why you need the Scarlett in the chain but unless you’re running it in loop back mode no the DAC is not utilized for the SPDIF output.

PLL is only present on SPDIF inputs. There’s no PLL on asynchronous USB inputs which is the type used on all modern DAC, except maybe cheap primitive ones with adaptive USB that can also utilize PLL.

MRC01

Major Contributor
What do you mean by "lock on"?
What would be the artifacts of it struggling to do so?
Dropouts or no sound.
Yes, or massive distortion, as I measured with the SMSL SU-6 in my review.
Summary: lots of distortion at 176.4 k with dP-DLL set to 1, the most strict setting. Bumping it to 2 eliminated it entirely.
Before (dp-DLL 1)
SU6-THD-176-P1.png

After (dp-DLL 2)
SU6-THD-176-P2.png

Cuprajake

So I've just received this DAC, I use usb out to play my audio.

The usb port seems to wiggle alot.

Does anyone else do the same?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Mine has a small amount of play, but not enough to obstruct audio if I wiggle it while playing via USB.

Cuprajake

this is the best fitting of my 4 cables, the others are worse, im going to send it back,

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Umm

I'm second guessing myself now, felling like I should of gone zen DAC

View attachment 241037
I can vouch for the Zen dac v2 being a nice dac. I saw your thread and I thought of the iFi ZDv2 as soon as I read it.
I have the ZDV2 and build quality is excellent. I prefer the sound over my Topping E30, I think the iFi is better balanced and has smoother vocals. The Bass boost button is very well implemented when using my cheapish cans (Audio Technica ATH M30X) it delivers a very nice low end boost the stays in the low end and doesn’t muddy the lower mids which is very impressive.

Top Bottom