• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help to replace hip dac 2 to desktop

Smoke99

Hi all,

I need some help in replacing my Ifi hip dac 2 in my headphone setup.

Until now I have been using this portable dac/amp to listen to my headphones (hifiman edition xs, monolith m1060, ath m50x) but I realized that I end up listening to them in two places: in front of the pc and on the sofa.

I was thinking of creating two setups one desktop and one mobile.

For the mobile one I was thinking of buying the fiio ka13.

For the desktop one I am undecided, at the PC I already have an smsl su-1 connected to a fosi audio v3 via rca, so I was thinking of connecting the su-1 to a headphone amplifier.

I was thinking of staying under 150 euros and saw these models:

Smsl su-6

Sabaj a20h

Topping l30 II

Or with extra effort smsl dl200 (although then I would have a duplicate dac).
What do they think?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Any of these will be fine.
Pick the one you like the most (looks and ergonomics)

mc.god

Unlike the others two, Sabaj a20h doesn't have line pre outs so you could not connect it to the Fosi unless you use the headphones out with 6.3-rca cable, alternating phones and Fosi and having to set volume to max everytime you connect the Fosi. The little brother a10h has them withe separate volume memory.

OP
S

Smoke99

Unlike the others two, Sabaj a20h doesn't have line pre outs so you could not connect it to the Fosi unless you use the headphones out with 6.3-rca cable, alternating phones and Fosi and having to set volume to max everytime you connect the Fosi. The little brother a10h has them withe separate volume memory.
I need RCA switch to connect dac to fosi v3 and headphone amp?

mc.god

The DAC has one line output and ideally You'd want to connect it to the headphone amp, then using the headphone amp rca line out to go into the Fosi. Since Sabaj A20h doesn't have line preout you cannot do this, but now I'm seeing that the fosi has a preout jack, so you could do the inverse, DAC -> RCA -> Fosi -> minijack preout -> Sabaj a20h RCA input.

OP
S

Smoke99

The DAC has one line output and ideally You'd want to connect it to the headphone amp, then using the headphone amp rca line out to go into the Fosi. Since Sabaj A20h doesn't have line preout you cannot do this, but now I'm seeing that the fosi has a preout jack, so you could do the inverse, DAC -> RCA -> Fosi -> minijack preout -> Sabaj a20h RCA input.
The fosi preout is used for and active sub.
I'm going for smsl sh-6..

mc.god

The fosi preout is used for and active sub.
I'm going for smsl sh-6..
If you find the Sabaj A10h can be a nice choice for less money, even more versatile than SH6, similar power, very good measures and relay volume for maximum precision.
As i said, it has the pre-outs that the A20 lacks and you can switch headphones out-preout from the knob or via remote, with separate volume memory.

OP
S

Smoke99

If you find the Sabaj A10h can be a nice choice for less money, even more versatile than SH6, similar power, very good measures and relay volume for maximum precision.
As i said, it has the pre-outs that the A20 lacks and you can switch headphones out-preout from the knob or via remote, with separate volume memory.
Ok, thx. I'll wait that it come back avaiable on Amazon. Now there's only used for 75euro usually new 86 euro

Top Bottom