• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

Toku

Major Contributor
My SA-300 has arrived. Shiny! I ordered the blue one, got the red one. Not even mad, it looks cool.
I'll be sending it in for review after I play with it for a day or two.
SA-300 has no headphone or line out, so I wonder how that'll work as far as the DAC measurements..
I think it's best that the SA300 arrived at you safely.
I bought black and blue, but the red one looks attractive.
How did you feel when you listened to the sound?
The measurement only measures the speaker output with RCA input and USB input.
After that, I am looking forward to uploading the measurement results by amirm.

NgtFlyer

I think it's best that the SA300 arrived at you safely.
I bought black and blue, but the red one looks attractive.
How did you feel when you listened to the sound?
The measurement only measures the speaker output with RCA input and USB input.
After that, I am looking forward to uploading the measurement results by amirm.
My initial reaction is positive. I have a Windows 10 PC connected to the SA300. Device detected right away and switched to default without intervention. In other words, "It just works". I used good old Winamp, playing FLAC files. For those interested, these are stored on a server and passed through a plain old Netgear switch. You know, the kind that performs exactly like the "audiophile" network switches. ;)
I listened to a variety of songs I am familiar with. The SA300's tone setting was left on "Direct". I am using a pair of Phase Technology Teato 2.5 bookshelf speakers (4 ohms). They have always impressed me, especially being 25 years old or so. Volume was set at 30 (max is 60) for my listening.
Starting with the good old reliable Steely Dan - Peg. Nice detail. I hear no artifacts or other annoying nuances. Just nice clean sound. Vocals have nice presence and the whole range from low to high had a nice balance to it. I felt no need to adjust tone controls.
Moving on, I listened to much of David Arkenstone's Citizen of Time album. I wasn't intending to listen to most of this album, but it had been awhile and the sound just sort of had me letting it pass from track to track.
I then tried out a couple of tracks from the Chess soundtrack, specifically ones with a lot of quiet passages. Happy to report, even at the quietest points, I heard no noise, and again, no artifacts.

So, I plan to pack my SA-300 back up and send it off for a proper review. Granted, my listening tests were conducted where I intend to use it - my bedroom, so the acoustics in there might be a bit odd, but the room is carpeted and has a queen size bed, which probably helps a good bit. It sounds good to me in that room and I didn't try pushing the limits with it.

Looking forward to getting it in for review and finally seeing test results for those of us who are curious.

NgtFlyer

That chip is speced at 2x30 watts at 10% distortion!:oops:

Cheers

If you look closely, the spec says 30W into 8 @10% distortion *without heatsink*
Also, I was reading the recommended minimum spec for the power filter capacitors. The SA-300 has two 2200uF 35V caps in parallel on the power supply side, very close to the amp chip. This is a good thing.
The SA300 has a large aluminum block that then contacts the aluminum casing. Thermal paste is used. (see pics). I would believe smart circuit design and the use of heat management help this amp get close to, or achieve, its stated specs. Really looking forward to measurements to see how it performs. I have been listening to mine quite a bit, albeit at less generous volumes so as not to disturb others in the house. But the other day I had the opportunity to turn it up and enjoy Enigma's first release, MCMXC a.D. Volumes above 35 (of 60) were approaching uncomfortable levels. I was rather impressed by the sound. The SA-300 sounds considerably better than my old faithful Denon receiver that has been my bedroom amp for several years.

I was also thinking.. what if SMSL has an SA-500 in development.. say, hang a Hypex output stage onto the M500? Give it an analog input along with the USB, coax and TOSlink inputs and add AptX BT 5.0.. design it right and we'd have a very desirable device on our hands.

One could dream. But in the meantime, at least in bedroom use, my SA-300 impresses me.

Images for reference: (source homecinema-fr.com and Infineon)
sa300spec.png

IMG_0112D.jpeg IMG_0118D.jpeg IMG_0120D.jpeg

Toku

Major Contributor
The operation of Infineon-MA12070 on SMSL SA300 is the value in the attached data table.

Attachments

• MA12070.png
    MA12070.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 734

NgtFlyer

The operation of Infineon-MA12070 on SMSL SA300 is the value in the attached data table.
Right, except the SA-300 HAS a heatsink. This is why I am interested to see a measurement review.

palatin8

I am very curious about MERUS/Infineon equipped amps, which are not too numerous on the street This thing in red is currently available from Amazon Germany, but only 6 items left.

New to audiosciencereview, so excuse me for asking: Do you get credits, if I post post a link here and buy the SA300 from this link? Hope so. Otherwise, let me know as long as I can edit my post.

MA12070 chip is great it is the best class D chip out there. The linear frequency response and low thd on even high power levels makes it great for this era. But after inspected the pcb i have to say that implementation is very poor because of they use ferrite bead at output this is usable only for the cables smaller than 60cm as defined in datasheet. They have to use choke for real hifi. And also in hifi word SMPS is not the r,ght chose so it is the reason of hiss noise. I wish they used linear power supply. They also used ma12070p series to use i2s input of their BT module but ma12070p has bad specs compared with MA12070. So they use half of potential of this chip.

Toku

Major Contributor
I bought 3 SA300s because of their good performance. Although the MA12070 chip maker advertises that it can be used without an output filter, omission of the output filter may be good for audio, but it is a great threat in an environment handling weak radio waves. After a simple test, the noise emission from the SA300 speaker cable is high compared to other digital amplifiers. I think that the output filter of SMSL SA300 should be installed to prevent EMI.

Hello Toku pls see attached file.

Attachments

• Infineon-ApplicationNote_Integrated_Audio_ICs_Merus_EMC_Output_Filter_Recommendations-AN-v01_0...pdf
    998 KB · Views: 421

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello Toku pls see attached file.
I have already read the data sheet introduced.
I'm not sure whether to prioritize audio performance or EMI.
Even so, it is a problem that only 0.4m and 0.6m speaker cables are guaranteed to have the characteristics. Not realistic.
I used to fight noise with the reception of faint signals from space. At that time, I had a strong interest in EMI because I was troubled by noise emission from the surrounding electronic devices.

vasbas

Hello.. how i find for smsl sa300 26V / 10A power supply for full performance

Dzhaughn

I've just tried out a SMSL DA-8s; it's an Infineon chip amp, I think $169 from Amazon. It seems pretty good. I drove Revel M16 and KEF Q100s, and compared it with my old-school Class AB Rotel RB-951. Using REW (with a Umik-1) I couldn't see differences between the amps in distortion or frequency response curves from the speakers.

The power brick on mine makes a small siren like noise; probably just a flaw in the sample. I guess we have to expect some QC failures at this price point.

Don't know and don't care much about the bluetooth performance, but it does work.

Definitely would be cool to see a review of it here.

Toku

Major Contributor
I've just tried out a SMSL DA-8s; it's an Infineon chip amp, I think $169 from Amazon. It seems pretty good. I drove Revel M16 and KEF Q100s, and compared it with my old-school Class AB Rotel RB-951. Using REW (with a Umik-1) I couldn't see differences between the amps in distortion or frequency response curves from the speakers.

The power brick on mine makes a small siren like noise; probably just a flaw in the sample. I guess we have to expect some QC failures at this price point.

Don't know and don't care much about the bluetooth performance, but it does work.

Definitely would be cool to see a review of it here.
DA-8s is an SMSL product planned by Shenzhen Audio that arranged SA300.
There is almost no information on DA-8s even if you search the Web, and your report is valuable.
I have purchased and used 3 SA300s. Infineon chips are amazing.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello.. how i find for smsl sa300 26V / 10A power supply for full performance
26V/10A AC power adapter is not available for sale. Therefore, there are many cases where the industrial 24V/10A switching power supply is set to 26V by the voltage adjustment VR and used. I also use 24V/10A set to 26V. However, the DC cord connected to the SA300 must be manufactured by yourself. At that time, do not mistake the polarity of +-.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Just sent you a message. :)

Any movement on this? I picked one up, and am really quite impressed by how well it performs. With the KEF LS50, the clarity is stunning, although perhaps a bit cold, and maybe harsh at higher volumes. Still, at the $120 sale price, this might be a huge step up in value. And bonus, it's incredibly small and always remains cool (even the power supply remains cool).

NgtFlyer

Any movement on this? I picked one up, and am really quite impressed by how well it performs. With the KEF LS50, the clarity is stunning, although perhaps a bit cold, and maybe harsh at higher volumes. Still, at the $120 sale price, this might be a huge step up in value. And bonus, it's incredibly small and always remains cool (even the power supply remains cool).

@amirm has quite a backlog. My SA300 is set to go, just need to get it out so it can get in line to be reviewed. I have another DAC + small amp I can use in its place while it is out.

Top Bottom