• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

MoveJoe

Just bought this amp for 120€ after buying some Elac Uni-Fi U5 for 400€. I'm very exited to see how well these two parts play together.

lyz

Just bought SMSL SA300. It arrived yesterday. Amazingly, it consumes 1.5Watts of power while on. The speaker hiss is unnoticeable unless I put my ear right next to the tweeter. Fanless as well. With all of the models I've used, it is the best class D for the price. The USB DAC takes the value even higher.

Lack of an optical input is a miss. I have a cheap optical DAC for the very few times where I need output from the TV's other inputs and not the computer that is used as the main driver.

It doesn't turn the volume of the DAC from Windows even though the master volume control does have an effect on volume output (maybe that is a driver thing). No drivers were installed from a website. I used whatever Windows 10 automatically loads for the driver.

Also, the screen is always on when the unit is powered on. Does anyone know if the type of LCD on this is susceptible to burn-in?

Toku

Major Contributor
Just bought SMSL SA300. It arrived yesterday. Amazingly, it consumes 1.5Watts of power while on. The speaker hiss is unnoticeable unless I put my ear right next to the tweeter. Fanless as well. With all of the models I've used, it is the best class D for the price. The USB DAC takes the value even higher.

Lack of an optical input is a miss. I have a cheap optical DAC for the very few times where I need output from the TV's other inputs and not the computer that is used as the main driver.

It doesn't turn the volume of the DAC from Windows even though the master volume control does have an effect on volume output (maybe that is a driver thing). No drivers were installed from a website. I used whatever Windows 10 automatically loads for the driver.

Also, the screen is always on when the unit is powered on. Does anyone know if the type of LCD on this is susceptible to burn-in?
Congratulations on your purchase.
I'm really sorry that I can't turn off the SA300 display. Brightness adjustment is not necessary, but I want the function of automatic ON-OFF of the display. Since the display is an LCD, I don't think there is a worry of burn-in.

lucadoc

Test with Dynaudio Audience 40, no problem at all even if these are not sensitive bookshelfs. The global volume is not as high as with the Diva18 but still sufficient at 40 for a 15m2 room

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_191604.jpg
    IMG_20200505_191604.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 831

lyz

Been playing with the TrickleStar powerstip and KMC 4 outlet smart plug (with tasmota firmware) to turn off unnecessary equipment or turn it on through the REST API.

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 421

Toku

Major Contributor
There are some restrictions on the USB input of the SA300.
In the spec table, it supports from 44.1kHz to 384kHz, but in reality, only 44.1kHz 48kHz 96kHz 192kHz 384kHz can be played. An 88.2kHz 176.4kHz 352.8kHz signal will cause an error and cannot be played.
However, depending on the player used, it will be automatically converted to a compatible bit rate and can be played without being aware of it.

Last edited:

geekosa

Hello,
Does someone have the windows 10 usb driver for SA300 ?
My SMSL is not recognized on one of my PC (yellow triangle)

NgtFlyer

If it's included with the SA300, I will when it arrives. Supposed to be delivered sometime next week.

lucadoc

Hello,
It's very odd, mine was immediately recognized and I have not found any driver on win10

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello,

There is no dedicated USB driver for SA300. Use the standard driver for Windows 10 system.

Move the mouse cursor to the yellow triangle, click the right button and select Delete.
It will then scan for new hardware and will automatically reinstall the appropriate drivers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9685

Why is it limited to the US? It is mortifying! Umm, I want a red color for the third unit!
I think the SA300 is the best Chinese Class D amplifier.
You can use a japanese delivery agency in USA. A delivery agency really saves delivery costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toku

Major Contributor
You can use a japanese delivery agency in USA. A delivery agency really saves delivery costs.
Thank you for providing the information.
SA300 is now on sale again at Amazon.jp in Japan. However, the shipping is from China, and I am worried that it will reach Japan safely.
For some reason, customs fees and taxes are added to purchases from the United States, but there is no cost for purchases from China. I don't know why.

D

Deleted member 9685

For some reason, customs fees and taxes are added to purchases from the United States, but there is no cost for purchases from China. I don't know why.
I think the global elites are trying to transfer wealth from united states to china.
All manufacturing capabilities moved from USA to china. China has gigantic factories producing robots and drones.
USA is left with hand craftsmen and multi-trillion dollar stimulus package that dilutes the value of US dollars.
They seem to be gutting USA.

lyz

The USB input on the SA300 is more sensitive (perhaps, power hungry?) than other DACs I have dealt with. Gamepads that were connected to the same USB hub -- or even the same USB controller -- would frequently disconnect when they "rumbled". This sounds picky, however, a different DAC, the SMSL 10th MK II, works just fine. You may want to put this device on a USB controller that is separate from other devices.

NgtFlyer

My SA-300 has arrived. Shiny! I ordered the blue one, got the red one. Not even mad, it looks cool.
I'll be sending it in for review after I play with it for a day or two.
SA-300 has no headphone or line out, so I wonder how that'll work as far as the DAC measurements..

Top Bottom