• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

mslim

Really curious how this chip based amp will measure up. Not expecting it to beat Hypex but how much of an improvement is it to previous chip amp?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I posted about this model on another thread. And, I'm curious as well. I wish it was advertised as an integrated instead of a power amp. It has a volume nob. Which, can not be defeated, as I understand.

I just don't have a spare $140 to purchase it and have it reviewed.

Duckeenie

Chip Specs : I'm no expert but it seem like more of what we've come to expect.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello all,
I was very interested in the SA300 at the same time as the announcement, but there was little review information and I was confused about the purchase, but I decided to buy it.
Below is the impression I used

We use SMSL M500, Topping DX3 Pro, D50s USB-DAC connected to the RCA input, but it's a nice and clean sound.
The sound rises quickly, and the sound field expression is full of high-speed, wide-range and full of transparency.
Until now, we have purchased and used many highly-rated Chinese digital amplifiers such as Topping TP60 PA3, SMSL SA-98E, and INDEED, but this unit completely outperforms them.
Infineon is a German company but MERUS MA12070 chips are born in Denmark. I think its ability is amazing. Until now, STMicro's TDA7498E chip was the most popular, but it completely outperforms it.
However, there is no detailed measurement data for SA300. I hope that it will be measured as soon as possible on the ASR Forum.

The USB connection was automatically recognized as headphones (TX 384kb Hifi Type_C Audio) in Windows 10.
The sound quality of the USB input of this unit is unfortunately inferior to the sound connected to an external USB-DAC of SMSL M500 or Topping D50s, but it is sufficient for the purpose of casual playback from a PC or smartphone.

There is no pop noise associated with turning the power on and off. The white noise coming out of the speaker is only slightly felt by maximizing the volume and sticking the ear to the speaker cone. White noise is the smallest of the D-class amplifiers I have used so far.

The spelling of the ROCK in the EQ setting was RCOK in the product at the time of release, but it was corrected in the M500 I purchased.
The supplied AC adapter is sufficient, but I am connected to a 26V / 10A power supply for full performance.
One of the complaints about this unit is that it cannot adjust the brightness of the display, nor can it be turned off. I want an auto function that turns off the display after a certain time.
No product defects have been found so far.

I purchased an additional blue body because of the good sound of the SA300.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I understand specs correctly its based on Infineon Technologies MERUS™ MA12070 measured here.

Here's the info from Infineon's datasheet for the demonstration board, which one would think should show how it can perform in practice. Ouch...and those numbers I highlighted for low THD+N are at 4 ohms.

1586544404450.png

lucadoc

I just installed my SA300 and for little medium rooms it's a bargain.

I'm still testing it but I'm really surprised about the sound quality for its price.

RCA inputs are not noisy (if you don't push too much the volume) and volume is sufficient to power big monitors like Divatech Diva 18 (8ohm with 21cm midwoofer).

Bluetooth connexion was stable but it's too early to confirm.

I tried briefly the different filters but I stick to direct, I should use a dac for better sound input to do precise listenings.

I'm really happy with this little amplifier for the moment.

One question: how to use the micro USB input?

lucadoc

Photos

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_171753.jpg
    IMG_20200430_171753.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6,260
  • IMG_20200430_171805.jpg
    IMG_20200430_171805.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5,363

Toku

Major Contributor
I just installed my SA300 and for little medium rooms it's a bargain.

I'm still testing it but I'm really surprised about the sound quality for its price.

RCA inputs are not noisy (if you don't push too much the volume) and volume is sufficient to power big monitors like Divatech Diva 18 (8ohm with 21cm midwoofer).

Bluetooth connexion was stable but it's too early to confirm.

I tried briefly the different filters but I stick to direct, I should use a dac for better sound input to do precise listenings.

I'm really happy with this little amplifier for the moment.

One question: how to use the micro USB input?
Hello,
Thank you for writing your first impression of SA300.
I have the same opinion as you.

The USB input of the SA300 is a USB connector for the input of the DAC that is built in.
No driver is required, and you can play it by connecting to a PC, audio device that can output USB, or a smartphone.
The sound quality is slightly inferior to when the output of a good external DAC is connected to RCA, but you can still enjoy it with high sound quality.

The output of this amplifier is maximum 35W / 8Ω / 1% 60W / 4Ω / 1% from the data sheet. However, you need a good 26V power supply.
The output feels a little small, but don't worry. It controls the woofer firmly even at high volume. The damping factor may be unexpectedly high.

Attachments

• MA12070.png
    MA12070.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:

lucadoc

Thank you for the usb information, I've no pc but I'll try with my phone.

The power is not a problem with my big bookshelf monitors, the volume is kind of logarithmic one.

I connected an active subwoofer too and filtered it with its own settings (no pass filter for subwoofer in the SMSL), done tests on music and films, very good results.

lucadoc

The supplied AC adapter is sufficient, but I am connected to a 26V / 10A power supply for full performance.
I purchased an additional blue body because of the good sound of the SA300.

Which power supply do you use? Where were you able to find the blue body?

Toku

Major Contributor
Which power supply do you use? Where were you able to find the blue body?
My power supply is an industrial 24V/10A switching power supply. The voltage adjustment VR is set to 26V.

I purchased my two SA300s from the SMSL Audio store on Amazon.jp. SA300 of three colors is still on sale.
However, the shipping fee is currently charged due to COVID-19.
Even in AliExpress, shipping costs are often changed from free to paid recently.

The internal structure of SA300 is introduced on the next website.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/amplificateurs-integres-haute-fidelite/smsl-sa300-t30101484.html

lucadoc

I bought it at Audiophonics, unfortunately they have it only in black

Thanks for the link on HCFR ;)

Top Bottom