• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Toku

Major Contributor
No 24 bits max :(

But it does not matter... I just received a new unit with firmware 2.01 :)
SW: 1.6 HW: 1.3 2020-3-2

Now 32 bits show under devices properties in Windows.;)
please tell me,
What is the new lot number you received for SW: 1.6 HW: 1.3 2020-3-2 M500? It is printed on the white sticker on the rear side.
My M500 is SW: 1.5 HW: 1.2 2019-10-9 and has a sticker printed with SMSL DAC171081.
I am currently considering whether to purchase the new lot of M500 again or the SMSL M400 (AK4499) which will be released at the end of this month.

science2art

I recently received my SMSL m500 SW 1.6 HW 1.3 2020-3-2. I am using it attached to a Mac running MacOS X Catalina (Mac Pro 2019) using Roon (latest version). I am noticing a low level tick or pop every 10-15 seconds, or so, playing PCM at 705.6 KHz or DSD256. If I playback at 352.8KHz or less, or DSD64 / DSD128 no problems. I tried 1.8 and 2.0.1 and same problem. Anyone experiencing this same issue?

I haven't tried MQA yet.

Kind regards, Glenn

YoYo

I recently received my SMSL m500 SW 1.6 HW 1.3 2020-3-2. I am using it attached to a Mac running MacOS X Catalina (Mac Pro 2019) using Roon (latest version). I am noticing a low level tick or pop every 10-15 seconds, or so, playing PCM at 705.6 KHz or DSD256. If I playback at 352.8KHz or less, or DSD64 / DSD128 no problems. I tried 1.8 and 2.0.1 and same problem. Anyone experiencing this same issue?

I haven't tried MQA yet.

Kind regards, Glenn

Hello,

I had the same problem when the DAC was plugged on my PC USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 ports.
Try to use USB 2.0 ports if you still have them on your MAC.
Otherwise, try another USB port ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/page-38#post-278507

YoYo

For information, the hardware revision 1.3 corrects two problems:

- There is no more sound leakage from the RCA or XLR when the headphone output is selected.
- It no longer has pop on the XLR and RCA outputs when the DAC is turned off.

And the sound seems cleaner, more detailed and more dynamic ... but it may be just a sensation.

science2art

Jimmy

Thanks for the info, does it come from SMSL?, it would be interesting to know if they fixed the toslink issues, too., I almost purchased one, but I held back because of all the problems reported.

For information, the hardware revision 1.3 corrects two problems:

- There is no more sound leakage from the RCA or XLR when the headphone output is selected.
- It no longer has pop on the XLR and RCA outputs when the DAC is turned off.

And the sound seems cleaner, more detailed and more dynamic ... but it may be just a sensation.

osasglo

Thanks for the info, does it come from SMSL?, it would be interesting to know if they fixed the toslink issues, too., I almost purchased one, but I held back because of all the problems reported.
What are these toslink issues? What are people saying is wrong?

Gonzo

What are these toslink issues? What are people saying is wrong?
There are audio dropouts with this unit when you connect it to a TV via toslink. For example a LG OLED55B7D is beginning to have this problem after ca. 2 hours of playing time.

YoYo

Unfortunately not. It's just what I noticed ...

osasglo

There are audio dropouts with this unit when you connect it to a TV via toslink. For example a LG OLED55B7D is beginning to have this problem after ca. 2 hours of playing time.
Okey, I might do a toslink long listening session sometime.

Albocan

[QUOTE = "YoYo, post: 387397, miembro: 11378"]
Yes it is certainly true for the DAC firmware but not for the USB firmware...

And there seem to be only two hardware versions sold to consumers.
It seems to me that no one has a HW 1.1 version ...

SW: 1.4 HW: 1.2 2019-07-28
SW: 1.5 HW: 1.2 2019-10-9
SW: 1.6 HW: 1.3 2020-3-2

The USB firmware is only for the USB interface and XMOS XU-216.

I have version SW: 1.5 HW: 1.2 2019-10 and I can't update to 2.01.
Users who have the same version can update to 2.01 but not all...

The problem is that the updates don't work every time. And after it is no longer possible to make any update and the dac is stuck in 1.05... [/ QUOTE]

It happens exactly the same. Is there any solution? I tried to upgrade to version 2.01 and it went back to 1.05. Now I can't go back to version 1.08, which was the one I had installed.

Last edited:

Albocan

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/page-38#post-278507 [/ QUOTE]
The update worked for me first time I tried, and its been working great. I just ran the xmos installer on the new update (probably didn't need to cause the software didn't really change), it uninstalled the existing xmos and I rebooted and ran the installation again then it got reinstalled, after that I just went ahead with the firmware update.View attachment 58608

Hello!

Question: How did you uninstall the old firmware?

I had 1.08 version and when I tried to upgrade to 2.01 it rolled back to 1.05. I can't go back to 1.08 now.

I would appreciate your help

Jeriko

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/page-38#post-278507 [/ QUOTE]
Hello!
Question: How did you uninstall the old firmware?
I had 1.08 version and when I tried to upgrade to 2.01 it rolled back to 1.05. I can't go back to 1.08 now.
I would appreciate your help

No idea if it helps, but for other problems discussed here in the forum, a factory-reset seemed to help.
Maybe you can give it a try.. from the manual:
“Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows the logo. Then stop pressing and restart the unit.” (The “power button” is volume knob)

Let us know if it changes something.

SwampyDude

Same here anyone managed to solve this yet stuck on 1.05 and 24 bit .audionivana reports 32 bit so a bit confused any help welcome

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a question.
It has been reported that if the firmware Ver2.01 fails to update, it will become Ver1.05. But after that, can I not update to Ver1.08 again?
I attached the update file of Ver1.08.

Attachments

• M500 1.08 USB firmware.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 158

YoYo

I never managed to solve the problem without changing the unit ...
When the update does not work, the dac returns and remains blocked in version 1.05 and it is no longer possible to perform any update.

Toku

Major Contributor
I never managed to solve the problem without changing the unit ...
When the update does not work, the dac returns and remains blocked in version 1.05 and it is no longer possible to perform any update.
That's a really serious symptom isn't it.
In that case, the only way to solve the problem is to replace the main body. You must contact SMSL and make a strict complaint.

Albocan

No idea if it helps, but for other problems discussed here in the forum, a factory-reset seemed to help.
Maybe you can give it a try.. from the manual:
“Connect the power cord when pressing the power button, until the screen shows the logo. Then stop pressing and restart the unit.” (The “power button” is volume knob)

Let us know if it changes something.

I reset the equipment to the factory state following the instructions in the manual and then I tried with different PCs, I even used an old notebook with USB 2.0 connections and I was not able to upgrade in any way. I'm still stuck with firmware 1.05. :-(

Top Bottom