• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ah..as we see APx555 is not good enough for these devices. Performance is limited by AP's noise performance now.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Output Impedance
I did not get a chance to measure output impedance but from data I have seen elsewhere, it rises to well over 1000 ohm. This is about 5 to 10 higher than it is normally. An output buffer stage has been eliminated to improve measured performance with the cost being that output impedance goes up. When you think of pairing this DAC with headphone and power amplifiers, make sure their *input* impedance is at least 10 times higher or 10 kHz and above. You should be OK with many products but with others, you may see a voltage drop. Seeing how M400 has more than 4 volts output anyway, maybe this is not a concern in practice.

Less of a voltage drop issue, more of an uneven frequency response issue if the load impedance isn't flat.

Also, more of a noise issue. Compared to e.g. 50ohm output-z this will give 26dB more noise from airborne radiation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Forgot to post thermal stability:

SMSL M400 USB DAC Warm Up Audio Measurements.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Less of a voltage drop issue, more of an uneven frequency response issue if the load impedance isn't flat.
Hard to imagine load impedance in pre-amp not being flat in audible band but I probably should measure to be sure.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Uhh what? This sounds concerning. Don't most DACs have a similar output impedance? This one is 5 to 10 times higher to hit better numbers elsewhere?

Do we have the output impedances of all the other >110dB SINAD devices?

xarkkon

Not catering to me personally but rather, trying to produce absolute lowest noise and distortion.
Too humble! :D I do think that you're one of the few reviewers out there that call measurements for what they are. It's so easy for companies to slide poor designs under marketing bs (ESPECIALLY for dacs). This place is the first place (that I know of) that called dacs out for what they are and helped me to make some really good purchasing decisions (Topping!) that I otherwise would not have known about.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do we have the output impedances of all the other >110dB SINAD devices?
I have measured a couple in the past and it is usually in the 100 to 200 ohm range.

3125b

Major Contributor
Impressive results.
Regarding the impedance question - thats the same thing that came up in the A90 thread all over.
Isn´t it normal at least for headphone amps to have 10 (Atom) to 25kOhm (Schiit Heresy) input impedance?

digicidal

Major Contributor
Thanks @amirm, nitpicking, did you mean to say <-140dB for spurious tones ;-)
I caught that too... not that -104dB would be "bad" or anything... but clearly this is far below that for anything but the signal tone.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any audible difference with DX3Pro?
With DACs as good as the DX3Pro & M400 it's very hard to find audible differences. I would upgrade only if you want some extra features or if you're not satisfied with the usability etc.

In my opinion, the $800 would be better spent on upgrading speakers/headphones, room treatments or getting a calibration mic (if you don't have one already).

CopperFox

This design of passive LPF is in the datasheet of ak4499. But I would argue it's for paralleling the outputs. The noise performance of this particular implementation of 4499 is not too great (1.6uV)that a opa1612 buffer (0.2uV) would cause any degradation. Not even mentioning half of 4499 seems to be turned off (lacking half of the components for a complete 4499 implementation).

Anyone know if any of the desktop 4499 DACs uses both halves of the chip? How would it be on the Topping or Gustard dacs?

wargreymon

@amirm For the output impedance part, do you mean that it will be harder to pair with another amp due to the 1000ohm? I am planning to get this DAC and later on ELAC Navis ARB 51 active speaker to pair with it. Not too sure if this will be a problem.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
No issue for me playing redbook alac on itumes and macbook pro.

themystical

On a slightly down note, it seems the race for the top place in our ranking is resulting in some design decisions such as removal of output buffer and increase of output impedance. I am not too happy about this but haven't decided what to do about it.

The output stage appears to be straight implementation of the recommendation in Figure 82 of the AKM4499 datasheet so I don’t suspect any foul play.
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/AKM Semiconductor Inc. PDFs/AK4499_Feb2019.pdf

Top Bottom