• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With mine the red light went off.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
@SMSL-Mandy, that's why im always asking about the j flash and what it was supposed to update. Seemed like it didn't go quite right for me. I just hope I didn't mess the unit up in some way.

Was it a hw, sw, or usb update? If something was done wrong would the website firmware update replace the update I tried to do with the j flash?

THIBAULT

@ ShiZo despite the problem of the update the sound of the SP200 + M400 combo is still impressive in clarity and dynamism. I believe that there was no repercussion on the dac, because there was no change on the level of listening. Best regards.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
@ ShiZo despite the problem of the update the sound of the SP200 + M400 combo is still impressive in clarity and dynamism. I believe that there was no repercussion on the dac, because there was no change on the level of listening. Best regards.
No doubt, it sounds so good with my smsl m400 into my benchmark hpa4.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Thank you, I'm sure it sounds pretty close to yours.

Focal clear headphones and tidal.

SMSL M400 is missing in the DAC Measurement Chart.
Missing SMSL M400 info.png
Of the M*** Dac's I find is M10,M100 and M500. M400 is missing, see the attachment.
(Harmonie posted about this on Jun 27, 2020)

madugo

currently have the topping e30+thx 887, been thinking about upgrading the dac to either this or the d90, any big benefit of going full balanced dac vs the e30 single ended to thx887 then output to balanced headphones?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@SMSL-Mandy, that's why im always asking about the j flash and what it was supposed to update. Seemed like it didn't go quite right for me. I just hope I didn't mess the unit up in some way.

Was it a hw, sw, or usb update? If something was done wrong would the website firmware update replace the update I tried to do with the j flash?

The J flash is the Hw firmware update. The 2.06 USB firmware on our official web is a USB update, update for the 32bit music play.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
The J flash is the Hw firmware update. The 2.06 USB firmware on our official web is a USB update, update for the 32bit music play.

I see, the most up to date hw version is 1.5?

THIBAULT

Hi Mandy,
July but no news about SP 400. Have you some informations for us ?
Regards.

odyo

Build looks fine except the ugly volume knob. Unnecessarily expensive product since all dacs sound same. I think Topping E30 set the bar for single ended. I havent seen good balanced dac from China yet. Modius is leading there. M200, m300 has bunch of bloatware and ugly design. They are expensive too. They are acting like everyone needs a bluetooth and some other features. Modius is $200 you have no excuse.

odyo

currently have the topping e30+thx 887, been thinking about upgrading the dac to either this or the d90, any big benefit of going full balanced dac vs the e30 single ended to thx887 then output to balanced headphones?
If you have no ground problems only benefit will be more power.

Top Bottom