• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 Balanced USB MQA DAC Review

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Np man, what are your current versions for hw and sw if you dont mind me asking?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
That's what I have.

I've been trying to figure out what k lite updated, hw or sw but have been having a hard time figuring it out.

Pluto

Forum Donor
I'm using the same file (flac and dsf)
“Artefacts” aside, don't jump to conclusions over a 2 or 3dB variance in level between FLAC and DSF as there is no strict correlation of level between the two. Whereas the absolute maximum level of a PCM-based format is unambiguous and easily determined, the same is not true of DSD and any manufacturer has something of a dilemma in deciding how much relative gain to set between the two. In other words, the fact that you have DSD & PCM files that sound (more or less) the same level on one DAC, does not necessarily mean that they will sound the same level on another DAC.

Come to think of it, how do you know that the two files are exactly the same source audio?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
the firmware only has changed the USB Version. Thanks.

What about the update with k lite, that wasn't it's own update? Last question, I've just been confused on this.

ShiZo

Forum Donor

Yes, before the website usb update you posted a firmware update here in which a program was used. It was j flash lite actually, sorry.

Last edited:

THIBAULT

This is useless

I think it was uselesss

After the M400 MCU update, I said to Mandy my USB ver is always 2.05. She said me try again, and try again....so I think it was a mistake corrected by the 2.06 ver web update

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I hope i didn't mess my dac up... That manual update was weird...

ShiZo

Forum Donor
My dac wouldn't turn on after. I thought it broke but then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it turned on.

THIBAULT

My dac wouldn't turn on after. I thought it broke but then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it turned on.

During the update it was in stand-by (red light) After the update it turned on by himself.

Top Bottom