• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

Rate this stereo DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 170 72.6%

• Total voters

nerdemoji

9039 chip or the hardware that's implementing it?

Anyway smsl internal engineering is pretty awesome for the price
The chip itself, but again it’s transparent.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
SMSL DO300 Stereo USB DAC Balanced Filter Measurements.png
I think the good folks at SMSL have their Minimum Fast and Minimum Slow filters reversed or something.

The new DL200 is an even greater mess:
SMSL DL200 DAC Amplificateur Casque ES9039Q2M XMOS XU316 Bluetooth 5.1 LDAC 32bit 768kHz DSD512 MQA-CD

FL3 definitely is Apodizing (FL7 or FL4 could be the actual Linear phase fast), FL6 can never be a fast rolloff filter yet again.

Hernandezt

You simply need to adjust the volume to 0.0 dB before before setting the Pre Mode to 'Fixed' and it will remain at 0.0 dB.
I own a DO300 and really appreciate the pre mode setting since I do not use volume controls on my DACs. For those who would like to set the volume at another level, the volume level is maintained at the level you have it set to when you set pre mode to fixed. It does not revert to +2.0 dB.
Using RCA, fixed mode, is better set 0.0 dB or +2.0 dB?

iscorpio71

As always great information and references. I've been tempted for a long time to get into a one solution headphone DAC/AMP an very close to getting Toppings DX7 Pro way back in 2019, but hold on because just did not prefer their Sabre DAC. I just recently purchased an SMSL DO300EX almost on pre-order without reviews, aldought careful of overhyped/marketing with these products. Went this route only on experience from previous listening AKM DAPs and following Chifi, forums, and it just look and had what I need. Almost certain, fingers crossed, that it will hopefully be my endgame! Course now waiting on for the reviews

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As always great information and references. I've been tempted for a long time to get into a one solution headphone DAC/AMP an very close to getting Toppings DX7 Pro way back in 2019, but hold on because just did not prefer their Sabre DAC. I just recently purchased an SMSL DO300EX almost on pre-order without reviews, aldought careful of overhyped/marketing with these products. Went this route only on experience from previous listening AKM DAPs and following Chifi, forums, and it just look and had what I need. Almost certain, fingers crossed, that it will hopefully be my endgame! Course now waiting on for the reviews
The difference between DACs to the human ear are so minimal that most DACs sound the same once a quality design is implemented. Good DACs start at less than $100. You've been here long enough to be aware that the term Chi-Fi is not allowed due to racist derogatory users of the term.

iscorpio71

The difference between DACs to the human ear are so minimal that most DACs sound the same once a quality design is implemented. Good DACs start at less than $100. You've been here long enough to be aware that the term Chi-Fi is not allowed due to racist derogatory users of the term.
I've been here a while, but had no idea that the term is derogatory, please explain. Because In fact I would argue the opposite, to me it praises Chinese ingenuity and innovation.-

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been here a while, but had no idea that the term is derogatory, please explain. Because In fact I would argue the opposite, to me it praises Chinese ingenuity and innovation.-
I'm not explaining more than already stated. It's a rule, not a democracy up for debate.

nerdemoji

yeah the problem with the term is that it has different connotations when used by different people in different sections of the audio community. Due to basically all IEM companies being Chinese and that they have positively had an effect on the industry there, almost everyone uses the term positively. However, some snobby people like to use the term in other audio communities as derogatory or as correlated with "low-quality". Therefore, the only way to prevent the usage in this way here regardless of use and context is to ban it outright.

iscorpio71

yeah the problem with the term is that it has different connotations when used by different people in different sections of the audio community. Due to basically all IEM companies being Chinese and that they have positively had an effect on the industry there, almost everyone uses the term positively. However, some snobby people like to use the term in other audio communities as derogatory or as correlated with "low-quality". Therefore, the only way to prevent the usage in this way here regardless of use and context is to ban it outright.
Hi,

Thanks for your time and kind reply. I understand, but I don't discriminate nor "band" words that have no implicit negative definition, based on other's opinions.

Best.

Last edited:

iscorpio71

Received and heard the DO300EX, it does not disappoint and brings the best of the headphones/iem.
20230925_172417.jpg

Johnny Fire

hello. i have the DO400 and i love it so far, i pair it the Airpulse A300 speakers using XL:R and seem the i have some clipping higher than -1.0db
so i use -2.0 to be sure and sound clean and nice!
i suppose the speakers dont support 5V but on Topping D90SE i was used in the past there a setting to set the 4v and 5v by user

the quick question is: is the -2.0db the right volume to get the proper 4V or is it higher like -1.5db?
thank you in advance!

trexys

Hi, I have a good impression of ASR. I find it very edifying.
I want to ask a question, what do you think of the following comment about the DO300?

Another gripe of mine is the playback of DSD files. Basically – if you listen to many DSD files, skip the DO300 altogether. The replay gain is too high, reducing dynamic range and robbing the DSD files of their nuances during playback. I have a few albums in DSD so overall it was not an issue but the few DSD64 and DSD128 tracks I tried with the DO300, things were not pretty.
https://www.audioreviews.org/smsl-do300-dac-review-kmmbd/

Thanks a lot,

nerdemoji

Hi, I have a good impression of ASR. I find it very edifying.
I want to ask a question, what do you think of the following comment about the DO300?

https://www.audioreviews.org/smsl-do300-dac-review-kmmbd/

Thanks a lot,
And they wrote this too:
“However, I consistently noticed some sonic characters on the DO300, even in blind testing. Basically: the DO300 has a noticeably harder hitting bass slam, and the stage is slightly cramped compared to my reference setup. Microdynamics is another area where the DO300 struggled, with subtle shifts in volume not being as apparent as they are on the LPGT.”

Seems like one of those people that just write things about audio equipment without any basis.
Edit: Their choice of horrible audio equipment on their “wall of excellence” also indicates that this isn’t the best source of info.

Alp

I am a bit confused will SMSL pricing and the DAC zoo.
So far I can get:
DO300 for 450 eur
DO400 for 450 eur
D400es for 570 eur
DO300EX for 400 eur

I am stuck, send help! Looks like DO400 with a free amp is better, but I am concerned about issues people had with the device that was fixed by software update

Btw I got d6s for 142 eur before and have a hard time arguing in favor of above 3 dacs, but I need another one for main system.

DO300 looks solid as well, a lot of happy owners here

So many similar DACs, hard to choose one

Update:
DO400 according to some reviews and measurements has ok headphone amp with a few issues. Sound was claimed to be worse than DO300 which brings me to the question if anyone compared DO300 with DO300ex?

Last edited:

wavetrade

So far I can get:
DO300 for 450 eur
DO400 for 450 eur
D400es for 570 eur
DO300EX for 400 eur

I am stuck, send help! Looks like DO400 with a free amp is better, but I am concerned about issues people had with the device that was fixed by software update

Btw I got d6s for 142 eur before and have a hard time arguing in favor of above 3 dacs, but I need another one for main system.

Update:
DO400 according to some reviews and measurements has ok headphone amp with a few issues. Sound was claimed to be worse than DO300 which brings me to the question if anyone compared DO300 with DO300ex?
It is quite a situation for sure. And you didn't even include the SU=9's. :)

I have a D-6s and DO300 (and too many others). In my opinion these are my favorite DACS. But I don't think the DO300 provides anything over the D-6s except a fancier display. They sound identical, which is to say excellent.

David_M

So far I can get:
DO300 for 450 eur
DO400 for 450 eur
D400es for 570 eur
DO300EX for 400 eur

Update:
I take issue with you last statement about the DO400 sounding worse and has issues. I have had this DAC for 2 months now, having upgraded from the Topping EX5/A30 Pro and it was quite an upgrade. I have never had issues a few have mentioned and the SQ is amazing, imho. Plenty of online reviews back me up on this as well.

Alp

I take issue with you last statement about the DO400 sounding worse and has issues. I have had this DAC for 2 months now, having upgraded from the Topping EX5/A30 Pro and it was quite an upgrade. I have never had issues a few have mentioned and the SQ is amazing, imho. Plenty of online reviews back me up on this as well.
Yeah, I believe I try to filter as much as I can to reduce this list, never heard the do400. I was referring to this review (no idea how credible that is, randomly found it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom