• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Review (Balanced DAC)

ManniX

Forum Donor
But that isn't the Feb 2023 I showed ?

It looks like it's the same v221012.
Even if the publishing date is Feb '23.

Has anyone tried to use another SMSL remote with the D300?
I'm asking because I use the defunct Logitech Harmony and it doesn't have the D300 in the database.
I wonder if it can be controlled using another device name/rcu.

bojojo

Hi i just receive my new smsl D300 firmware version is 1.20 (visible in the reset menu) unfortunately i have big pop noise when switching samplerate i try to downgrade to 1.0 firmware. The dac is able to boot also the coaxial and optical input are not working, they stay on 44.1khz with nothing connected and detect nothing.
If someone have the original firmware... I will be happy

Music1969

Major Contributor
It looks like it's the same v221012.
Even if the publishing date is Feb '23.

Has anyone tried to use another SMSL remote with the D300?
I'm asking because I use the defunct Logitech Harmony and it doesn't have the D300 in the database.
I wonder if it can be controlled using another device name/rcu.
Yes, the zip-file contains the same buggy firmware v221012.

I will not be buying this DAC.

It's a shame that SMSL have stopped caring for this DAC in terms of firmware fixes and making firmware upgrade easier for this model

It could have been more popular.

@SMSL-Mandy

ManniX

Forum Donor
I will not be buying this DAC.

It's a shame that SMSL have stopped caring for this DAC in terms of firmware fixes and making firmware upgrade easier for this model

It could have been more popular.

I agree, I was really keen to try it out as well but I'll wait for something else.
If I can find a 2nd hand unit at a very good price on Amazon that I can send it back in case, maybe.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hi i just receive my new smsl D300 firmware version is 1.20 (visible in the reset menu) unfortunately i have big pop noise when switching samplerate i try to downgrade to 1.0 firmware. The dac is able to boot also the coaxial and optical input are not working, they stay on 44.1khz with nothing connected and detect nothing.

Easy fix is upsampling everything to the same samplerate.

(I can only suggest if someone is looking for real customer support and firmware Upgrades that are not a mess in itself (chance that things get worse or brick the device), stick with western brands (my Cambridge DAC/streamer still got updates after like 4 years). Or more luxurious brands like matrix audio , denafrips, yulong ).

Last edited:

bojojo

Easy fix is upsampling everything to the same samplerate.

(I can only suggest if someone is looking for real customer support and firmware Upgrades that are not a mess in itself (chance that things get worse or brick the device), stick with western brands (my Cambridge DAC/streamer still got updates after like 4 years). Or more luxurious brands like matrix audio , denafrips, yulong ).
The optical input and coaxial input show 44.1 khz also no sound with this samplerate.

sunao

Well..."One man's trash is another man's treasure."... I rolled a dice and bought d300 today, because it is discounted (^^).

Peerke007

Well..."One man's trash is another man's treasure."... I rolled a dice and bought d300 today, because it is discounted (^^).
I bought mine several weeks ago. Only use it with the coax input connected to the Node 2i. No issues (except for one time the unit decided to switch to optical input by it self).

I like what I hear and that is what matters.

v1adpetrov2

Here in this message the firmware of the MCU version 1.0 is posted.
Here Here in this message the firmware of the MCU version 1v1 and the firmware of the DFU (USB XMAS) version 1.3

inscythe

Here in this message the firmware of the MCU version 1.0 is posted.
Here Here in this message the firmware of the MCU version 1v1 and the firmware of the DFU (USB XMAS) version 1.3
Thanks for this, just fixed my DSD playback on Windows on Foobar2000. Previously playing any DSD just gave out static noise. After the XMOS update to 1.3, the DSD plays, but there were quiet pops when seeking or changing track. With the MCU version 1.11, the pops are now gone too.

Imsjry

I realize this unit has been out for a minute now and well discussed. I had been seriously considering(and still might in the near future) picking up an R2R Dac. Specifically the Gustard R26 or Denafrips Pontus 2 12th. The D300 had been on my radar for a while prior and I decided to go ahead and pick one up and end up eventually using it in my upstairs room. Well, it’s currently in my living room setup paired with my Belles Soloist stack and EVO’s and it is pretty much exactly the sound I was after. Wow. Spending time listening to all genres and I can’t yet point out a weakness to my ears. It certainly has that semi-warmer, analogue-ish sound spectrum. It’s almost the perfect match for my current setup. The Wharfedale’s really come alive with the d300 in the chain. I previously had a D-6 with the dual AKM 4493 chips. While the D-6 does a great job, the d300 has me listening for longer sessions and not wanting to leave. I’m going to enjoy this one here for a while before “stepping up.”

I actually live in Kyoto, Japan where the Rohm chip is made. I also play concerts(orchestra) regularly at the Rohm Theater. They are a fantastic company which supports young artists with scholarship money and such.

Anyhow, I’d love to hear from those whom have had this DAC up against an R2R type.

Cheers
I too would love to read a comparison to those who’ve heard the D300 against a R2R dac such as the Pontus. Thanks!

Krampi

Can anyone help me find out what op amps are in the output section of the D300 (XLR, RCA)?
Thank you!

chat7

Any solution for no sound via coax? Just bought it a week -"-

Toku

Major Contributor
What devices are connected to the D300 via COAX?
Connection may not be possible if the signal quality of the connected CAX is worse than the level required by the D300.
Other SMSL DACs have the ability to change the signal quality level that can be connected, but the D300 does not.
Problems that can not be connected are likely to occur when connecting old audio equipment or TVs.

chat7

I use zen streamer to stream music in harddisk and use tidal.
Actually it worked for few days and then it's gone.

v1adpetrov2

Can anyone help me find out what op amps are in the output section of the D300 (XLR, RCA)?
Thank you!
Sorry, but no one will be able to tell you, since the marking of operational amplifiers has been specially erased by the manufacturer.
D300_inside_01.jpg
This is usually done when operating amplifiers of medium or low quality are installed...
:(

Peerke007

Are you sure it is still in COAX mode.

My experience is that you easily switch modes by pressing the on/off buton too short. It happened in my case already twice that I was in a different mode after using the d300.

Top Bottom