• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smsl a300 upgrade to drive kef r3

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Hi all, I've got kef r3 speakers with svs sb-2000 temporary driven by SMSL a300 + topping e30 ii + wiim mini.

The combo sounds good but I'm thinking about end game integrated amp with sub output. The room I have is a small 10x10ft home office and I mostly stream spotify/tidal for music.

Is there any option within $1500 that will provide a noticeable sound quality upgrade from smsl a300?

I also have a limited space to put the amp. I'd try Yamaha a-s701 or a-s801 but the amp is just too deep and doesn't feet the shelf that's 12 inch deep.

I'm in the US.
It's odd that nobody suggested yet what has to be the perfect compact amp for a 10'x10' room and KEF R3 speakers, the Elekit TU-8200R.
Your $1500 budget should allow for the Lundahl transformer upgrade, a DAC with subwoofer output, and of course a soldering station.

Seriously, it's a fun amplifier, with plenty of power for this situation.

Last edited:

ampguy

I think the a300 is fine. I own one. If you need more power, you can get a 2nd and bridge them. The sub integration works well for me, with a REL HT sub. There are better amps, but few with the same feature set. I’m not sure you would hear the difference if you don’t listen at loud levels.

nygafre

It's odd that nobody suggested yet what has to be the perfect compact amp for a 10'x10' room and KEF R3 speakers, the Elekit TU-8200R.
Your $1500 budget should allow for the Lundahl transformer upgrade, a DAC with subwoofer output, and of course a soldering station.

Seriously, it's a fun amplifier, with plenty of power for this situation.
Interesting. Can you explain why a tube amp would be a good match? I have the R3 Meta.. (trying to resist the urge to upgrade).

Top Bottom